Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 06:26 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
FFS.

Yes, because all pretty women know that as long as men find them attractive, there's no reason for them to voice an opinion or care about their worth being judged for more than their looks.

Even if these are just troll comments -- which I'm pretty sure they are -- the point is still proven.

Do you guys call men in this forum ugly or unattractive when you don't agree with them?
It's not "trolling" its a fact. The only women I ever hear complain about men "objectifying" women and that men should only care about their "personality" or "accomplishments" are women who arern't attactive or nut job feminist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:48 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
lkmax...sorry, not trolling, just found the thread interesting. I wanted to sum up my opinion in a funny quote.

Its not about being pretty or ugly or whatever, its the fact that people always find something to complain about. Just because someone is pretty and is able to succeed in life because of their looks I don't see what the big deal is. Believe me if I had model looks and could get through life with them id definitely take advantage. Just because these women are beautiful, no where (in my opinion) does it come off as though they are a box of rocks. Most of these women are extremely smart and have been blessed with looks as well, good for them. Truth is Im just an average Joe, happy with my looks, and I do not find that men are being objectified when they are in all of these ads showing "what kind of man women want". I mean good for them to be born with a face and body like that. If I were to ever feel bothered by something like this, instead of complaining that there are better looking people out there that make the rest of us average people look bad I would do something about it. Everyone is faced with something about them they do not like but perhaps go on a diet, start working out, buy some new clothes, etc... a little goes a long way. If you are 100% happy with yourself then why even worry about stuff like this.

Id love to hear an example of where some of you feel that a woman has been objectified and tell me how you would correct it to make it appear to you that they are not being objectified.
Um, go back to the beginning and read through, where there have been examples listed. It is not that anyone has the power to correct it, make it "appear differently". It seems pretty impossible and has been increasingly getting worse, for years. It has to do with advertisers who are in control and do not want to alter "what sells", who do not take into consideration or care, how it contributes to affecting women, adversely.. It seems there is no way to fix it .. and not just "complaining", but sometimes, need to vent.

There is likely no way a man can understand how these examples affect females. So the differences continue - like a wall. And just because a woman has an opinion on what is happening (how females are depicted, even young girls), does not mean she is unattractive. Some women tend not to discuss Feminism or Sexist aspects, due to this assumption established when Feminism was on the rise.. then beaten down.

I saw one guy's comment, asking, "where are all the pretty women?", "Why do they wear pants, now?" Why can't they "just be pretty?". It is due to this sort of thing, that has perpetuated women always buying makeup and fixing themselves up. There have existed too many ads for years, projecting upon females to be a certain way.. "to improve", to "remain youthful", etc. Do you realize, HOW many aisles in stores exist solely for products dedicated to the "outer appearance of women" (with nothing like this for men). Men will say, "don't buy the magazines", "don't look at ads", or "Don't buy the products "... already under the gun, can you imagine if women didn't fix themselves up? We may ignore ads, but it doesn't matter -- they exist and there has not been anything powerful enough to counteract it.

It's so bad, that you will see women who have gone too far with Plastic Surgery - granted, they are affected so, and are not well. (I saw one yesterday, who was SO distorted-looking and anorexic...). I've wondered what it would have been like if women would have just been accepted at face value, as males are. But then, there would still be comparisons made, based upon how they would appear naturally. (As with men, they can range from ugly, ordinary, all the way to some extremely handsome, gay men - and I think women are more accepting).

You say, "if you are 100% satisfied with yourself, why worry about such things?" Despite self-confidence, no matter how good may feel, no matter how they appear naturally, no matter what they do..women have been conditoned to wear a "mask", when being seen, which makes them feel "confident". (Just look at those photos of Celebs without makeup.. men are always shocked. Female actors do not get hired as much after a certain age, when men are hired in any condition, any age. (Hey, I am not making any of this up). The pressure is unreal, affecting females' insecurities.. (and is nothing equal to the occasional "perfect male depictions", which women KNOW are unrealistc, anyway). Men have not been projected upon contnually to "improve" upon themselves, so there tends to be an air of nonchalance on the subject, thinking they are just "handling it better", unaffected.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:26 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
It's not "trolling" its a fact. The only women I ever hear complain about men "objectifying" women and that men should only care about their "personality" or "accomplishments" are women who aren't attractive or nut job feminist.
I've never said that appearance isn't important at all. I don't think anyone (male or female) should date or marry someone who they aren't physically attracted to, for example. Women typically only judge men for their appearance when looking for someone to date or hook up with, and even then, they usually aren't as harsh as men. Women are judged by their appearance when they are applying for jobs or just plain walking down the street. The fact that you chose to put the words personality and accomplishments in quotation marks when referring to women tells me a lot, so you, sir, are dismissed.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:04 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
In2itive_1, I was just looking for examples of a commercial perhaps that "objectifies" a woman in ones eyes and what you would do differently to change the perception of the commercial? How would you like to alter "what sells"? Your not going to get people to join a gym if a fat person is advertising it. You aren't going to get someone to buy pimple cream if they have pimples...correct me if I am wrong but you say that these sort commercials are what is driving women to push themselves into plastic surgery in some cases, or anorexia. Besides anorexia or plastic surgery what is wrong with wanting to be youthful? Whats wrong with wanting to improve? I want to remain youthful and Ill tell you what it has nothing to do with commercials on tv but if I was in the market for something I sure wouldn't buy a product that has a 100 year old man on the box.

Someone can always pick a needle out of the haystack even if a thousand people have looked for it and did not see it, I feel that this thread is that needle. Enjoy the beauty a woman possesses, don't try to bring all woman down to a different level because a few of them feel differently. I honestly don't think that a smart attractive woman would see anything wrong.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
In2itive_1, I was just looking for examples of a commercial perhaps that "objectifies" a woman in ones eyes and what you would do differently to change the perception of the commercial? How would you like to alter "what sells"? Your not going to get people to join a gym if a fat person is advertising it. You aren't going to get someone to buy pimple cream if they have pimples...correct me if I am wrong but you say that these sort commercials are what is driving women to push themselves into plastic surgery in some cases, or anorexia. Besides anorexia or plastic surgery what is wrong with wanting to be youthful? Whats wrong with wanting to improve? I want to remain youthful and Ill tell you what it has nothing to do with commercials on tv but if I was in the market for something I sure wouldn't buy a product that has a 100 year old man on the box.

Someone can always pick a needle out of the haystack even if a thousand people have looked for it and did not see it, I feel that this thread is that needle. Enjoy the beauty a woman possesses, don't try to bring all woman down to a different level because a few of them feel differently. I honestly don't think that a smart attractive woman would see anything wrong.
If you scroll through this slideshow, you'll see quite a few women who would be considered culturally attractive, and they're feminists.

Stop with the ugly feminist trope! Feminists are HOT! [PICS] - High Gloss and Sauce

Old 03-19-2015, 09:54 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I've never said that appearance isn't important at all. I don't think anyone (male or female) should date or marry someone who they aren't physically attracted to, for example. Women typically only judge men for their appearance when looking for someone to date or hook up with, and even then, they usually aren't as harsh as men. Women are judged by their appearance when they are applying for jobs or just plain walking down the street. The fact that you chose to put the words personality and accomplishments in quotation marks when referring to women tells me a lot, so you, sir, are dismissed.
Men get "objectified" and judged by women too, by what kind of job he has, how much money he makes, does he have a college degree, penis size. But I don't sit around and cry about it.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Men get "objectified" and judged by women too, by what kind of job he has, how much money he makes, does he have a college degree, penis size. But I don't sit around and cry about it.
Everyone uses this as a defense, but frankly, I think this is dying. Women are making our own money now. We don't need a man to pay our bills or take care of us. Of course, someone who is looking for a potential partner might not want to carry the whole financial load on their own, so they might look for a man who does have a decent job. But nowadays, men don't want to support their women while they take care of the home and the kids, so they're looking for women with a good job, too.

Plus, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, men have more opportunities to make themselves considered "useful" to society. Attractive men are certainly viewed positively, of course. But, so is a man who has family money, or has a good job, or is really smart, or is just really funny and nice. For a women, the first and most important part is appearance.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:04 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:

But again, the objection to objectification doesn't have anything to do with women being jealous or not being able to appreciate an attractive person. At its heart, objectification is dehumanizing. That hot woman in a bikini doesn't have anything to do with the car or the beer in the ad- she's being treated as a thing, a trophy.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:25 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
The fact of the matter is that we all have choices and 90% of the time women choose to be objectified. Nobody's holding a gun to these model's heads telling them to get naked. They choose to. Nobody holds a gun to a strippers head telling them they must be on the pole. They choose to. Feminist are full of it.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:39 PM

36 posts, read 37,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The fact of the matter is that we all have choices and 90% of the time women choose to be objectified. Nobody's holding a gun to these model's heads telling them to get naked. They choose to. Nobody holds a gun to a strippers head telling them they must be on the pole. They choose to. Feminist are full of it.
You do realize that normal, regular women just walking down the street are objectified every single day, right? Models on billboards are NOT the majority of women in the world, and their choices do not apply to every single woman out there. The fact that you think women all think and act with this hive mind (one woman does it and is okay with it therefore ALL women are okay with it) is so ironic.

Some of the viewpoints on this thread are downright disgusting, and yet people still wonder why women are afraid of walking alone at night. Wouldn't you when every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks that because he saw a pretty lady with her legs spread in a magazine then every woman must be up for grabs? After all, she's in a skirt, right? Of course she's asking for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty