Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 11:30 PM

36 posts, read 37,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
If you mean "psychological comfort" then I have to wonder what the motives are that would overwhelm the physical discomfort, along with the "unwanted" attention?

At any rate I doubt there is much going on that I would describe as "comfort", but rather insecurities that fashion ads like to prey on and spread.
Have ever worn any of these things? Do you know what's personally going on with the comfort levels of every single woman who wears these types of things? No. So take your mansplaining elsewhere. I wear heels almost exclusively because I find them way more comfortable than heels. I also wear skirts 99% of the time, and sometimes *gasp*, they're mini in length. Again, because I find them comfortable as I HATE wearing jeans with a passion because of how they feel. I'm not doing it for some jerk's attentions-but for the sake of my own comfort in what I like to wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 12:00 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,232,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
It's been going on since the dawn of mankind. Do you think everyone in the Middle Ages that looked at the beautiful statues of naked women by the great masters was thinking, "Oh my, what a wonderful work of art." Of course not, they were fantasizing (the men and the women), just as we do today when we see these ads. That's the real world.

So I agree with MissLadyLexi25...... nothing there to get all worked over for.... if you do, you might have other issues.

Urban Dictionary: objectifying

i was thinking about this the other day. i go to museums a lot. there are so many statues and paintings of naked men and women. i mean, a lot of naked men. it seems mens bodies were equally (or near equal?) "appreciated" for their beauty as women were way back then. now, it is not nearly as equal. womens naked bodies are overwhelmingly more out there and displayed than mens bodies. why is that i wonder? men are nice to look at too. if you put two pictures in front of me, one is a beautiful woman and one is a very attractive man...well, i'm going to want to look at the attractive guy! i'm willing to bet that most women (i said most, not all) are going to want to see the attractive male over the female. just as a guy is going to prefer to look at the female. somewhere along the line someone decided that we are going to overwhelmingly objectify women. men and their bodies used to also be appreciated for beauty. they still are of course, but...now it isn't just appreciating women and their beauty. it has crossed a line a long time ago and i say definitely gone too far.

i was shopping for a paddleboard recently. one company that i came across, i liked their boards. but all of the pictures showed young attractive females in bikinis. are they only trying to sell to young males? what about me? what about us women? i'd kinda like to see a young attractive guy using that paddleboard!

that's what i don't understand about a lot of advertising, especially carl's jr ads. i don't eat at carl's. partly because i just don't like their food, and also because i am trying to avoid fast food all together. but i HATE their commercials. hate them! i won't eat there because of their ads. obviously they don't care about consumers such as me. but i would think that a company would try to attract as many customers as possible. not try to cut off part of the population because this woman is hot and will attract attention. they lost my business. funny gets everyones attention why don't more advertisers concentrate on funny?

ok...off my soapbox...

Old 03-11-2015, 12:14 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
But you have made it oretty clesr that women are objects for your viewing oleasure. Which is the definition of objectification.
I did?

Either you have me confused with someone else or you're simply making things up because you've run out of things to help your argument.

FAIL!

Old 03-11-2015, 06:13 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
i was thinking about this the other day. i go to museums a lot. there are so many statues and paintings of naked men and women. i mean, a lot of naked men. it seems mens bodies were equally (or near equal?) "appreciated" for their beauty as women were way back then. now, it is not nearly as equal. womens naked bodies are overwhelmingly more out there and displayed than mens bodies. why is that i wonder? men are nice to look at too. if you put two pictures in front of me, one is a beautiful woman and one is a very attractive man...well, i'm going to want to look at the attractive guy! i'm willing to bet that most women (i said most, not all) are going to want to see the attractive male over the female. just as a guy is going to prefer to look at the female. somewhere along the line someone decided that we are going to overwhelmingly objectify women. men and their bodies used to also be appreciated for beauty. they still are of course, but...now it isn't just appreciating women and their beauty. it has crossed a line a long time ago and i say definitely gone too far.
They've always been more tolerant, less repressed about these things in Europe than we are. That's due to their traditions. Ours originated with the Puritans.
Some Roman artwork for you....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...as_Massimo.jpg

Quote:
i was shopping for a paddleboard recently. one company that i came across, i liked their boards. but all of the pictures showed young attractive females in bikinis. are they only trying to sell to young males? what about me? what about us women? i'd kinda like to see a young attractive guy using that paddleboard!
I googled their ads and see what you mean.

Quote:
that's what i don't understand about a lot of advertising, especially carl's jr ads. i don't eat at carl's. partly because i just don't like their food, and also because i am trying to avoid fast food all together. but i HATE their commercials. hate them! i won't eat there because of their ads. obviously they don't care about consumers such as me. but i would think that a company would try to attract as many customers as possible. not try to cut off part of the population because this woman is hot and will attract attention. they lost my business. funny gets everyones attention why don't more advertisers concentrate on funny?

ok...off my soapbox...
I had to check youtube because we don't have carl's here. I thought they were funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnfKCOwKviE

Old 03-11-2015, 09:28 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkleBear View Post
Do you know what's personally going on with the comfort levels of every single woman who wears these types of things? No.
High heels aren't comfortable for anybody. Skirts certainly can be, but in mini skirts don't you have to constantly make sure you aren't flashing the public? Not comfortable. How about the time spent on the hair and makeup? Is that done for comfort? Is that what you do and wear when you are going to stay home alone and relax for the day?

Old 03-11-2015, 09:50 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
High heels aren't comfortable for anybody. Skirts certainly can be, but in mini skirts don't you have to constantly make sure you aren't flashing the public? Not comfortable. How about the time spent on the hair and makeup? Is that done for comfort? Is that what you do and wear when you are going to stay home alone and relax for the day?
Not exactly. Heels are available in a wide range of comfort levels. A kitten heel is as comfy as a pair of flats. 6 inch heels are not.

There is quite a range in the definition of "mini," a skirt that is mid thigh is pretty trouble free. 2 inches below your butt? Well that's iffy.

Staying home and relaxing? Personally I like soft cozy fabrics. Dresses, skirts all fair game.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:53 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I did?

Either you have me confused with someone else or you're simply making things up because you've run out of things to help your argument.

FAIL!
Objectification is so common and accepted in our society, we can rationalize seemingly normal behavior.

You mentioned you do not think it is an issue for men to post up pics of women you think are hot. The very definition of objectifying. You are reducing the women to decorations for your pleasure.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:19 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Objectification is so common and accepted in our society, we can rationalize seemingly normal behavior.

You mentioned you do not think it is an issue for men to post up pics of women you think are hot. The very definition of objectifying. You are reducing the women to decorations for your pleasure.
Having previously notified you that I did no such thing, I can now presume you are willfully lying.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:09 PM

36 posts, read 37,633 times
Quote:
Because you've personally tried on every single pair of heels in the world, right? And every person also has the exact same foot shape as you? Give me a break.

And exactly what another person said, mini skirts come in a variety of lengths. Mini does not mean I'm constantly in fear of flashing my goods to the world. And maybe you like looking like a slob on your days off, that's your prerogative, but even if I'm not going out I still like to brush my hair and maybe a little eyeliner. I DO feel more comfortable when I'm personally happier with my appearance and keeping up with my personal hygiene.

The fact that you seem to think you know how every woman thinks and what she wants is absolutely sickening.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:58 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
Its just a saying, usually a response to puritanical Christians who find any sight of the human body offensive. If the naked human body is "wrong" why our we born naked? Answer: Its NOT offensive !
To put it bluntly, it's not the prudish Christians that I notice have the most contempt, but rather the dumpy, homely women who aren't getting any attention or the hot ones who walk around in skimpy skirts and low cut tops complaining about the perverts who are staring.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only women who doesn't mind when other women are "objectified"?-ugly.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty