Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 11:02 PM

241 posts, read 360,055 times

Advertisements

I am talking mainly about adds that showcase pretty women in an erotic manner. I remember around the Superbowl there was this controversy surrounding this sexy Carl jr add with some Kate Upton look alike in it. Frankly I saw the add and saw nothing wrong with it. A lot of people however were claiming it was onbjectifying women, giving men unreleastic expectation of women, etc. I saw things differently, to me it was a celebration of feminine beauty/power.

So as a women I encourage my other fellow women to start looking at these things differently. Don't view these adds as an insult to your appearance but rather a celebration of female beauty. I know that advertisement companies have a tendecy to only represent one type of female beauty, and that should change. To me black, asian, european, and hispanic women are ALL equally beautiful. You almost never hear men getting upset over David Beckham underwear adds, or claiming Abrecrombie&Fitch dehumanizes men. Its not that men are naturally less insecure then women, we women just take this stuff way too personally.

If god hated the human body who wouldn't have made us naked .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 11:10 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
why did you mention god?

Personally, I take next to no notice of advertising, & am not aware of the example you're referring to.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:26 PM

241 posts, read 360,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
why did you mention god?

Personally, I take next to no notice of advertising, & am not aware of the example you're referring to.
Its just a saying, usually a response to puritanical Christians who find any sight of the human body offensive. If the naked human body is "wrong" why our we born naked? Answer: Its NOT offensive !

Old 03-08-2015, 03:54 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
I think women should have the right to show off any part of their body and not be subjugated to a world where men's sexual desires, lack of control, or hidden agendas deter this right. To this end, no, I don't care if a female decides to "show off"... but saying it's okay to be objectified is never okay, in my mind.

Objectification is inherently negative. There is nothing positive about being seen as a piece of meat or an object. Being appreciated for one's assets are fine and dandy. Being objectified for them is not.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:56 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
I don't think its right for women to be objectified. It must be understood that they have feelings & aspirations along with a beautiful body. Don't look at them like sex toys.

Wearing revealing clothes at ones desire isn't objectification. Being forced to do it for pleasing others is.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:35 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
I think women should have the right to show off any part of their body and not be subjugated to a world where men's sexual desires, lack of control, or hidden agendas deter this right. To this end, no, I don't care if a female decides to "show off"... but saying it's okay to be objectified is never okay, in my mind.

Objectification is inherently negative. There is nothing positive about being seen as a piece of meat or an object. Being appreciated for one's assets are fine and dandy. Being objectified for them is not.
Exactly. Most of the ads reduce women to a collection of body parts. It is rarely about empowering women. Most ads teach women the most important thing you should be is attractive. And attractive is never includive of the variety of shapes, shades and attributes we have. And does not incorporate non physical traits.

This is an awesome blog dicussing this topic.
http://www.beautyredefined.net/blog/

Wake me up when female influencers aren't judged on their figures, style, makeup and home life ; when we focus on the accomplishments that got them there.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:58 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
I think that we need to admit that not all women have high IQs. Some are just plain dumb. Soooo... if a woman has a great body and nothing between her ears, why not allow her to earn her living by displaying that body???

what would YOU prefer....... a paycheck for cleaning up the kitchen at a fast food palace or the same amount or more for just sitting, looking pretty, for an ad?

Old 03-08-2015, 10:31 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
Its just a saying, usually a response to puritanical Christians who find any sight of the human body offensive. If the naked human body is "wrong" why our we born naked? Answer: Its NOT offensive !
...silly argument....I'm sure you can come up with something better than that...

Old 03-08-2015, 11:23 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
A woman's body parts can be discussed ad infinitum which doesn't bother me at all. What I do mind is not having the same privilege with male bodies. Anyone who thinks women have the same privilege should try it.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:30 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
Its not that men are naturally less insecure then women, we women just take this stuff way too personally.
I think it's because you haven't really studied the issue fully. Think about it a little harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty