Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:29 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,157,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I cant go into those places (second hand clothing) they remind me of death and smell like poverty.
Thrift, vintage, resale, second hand clothing stores have come a long way. Only a small percentage of items in these stores come from an estate donation after the death of someone and even then, the deceased would probably like that their stuff is being enjoyed by others. Today, a lot of fashionable young people frequent these types of stores because the fashion cycle is very short for younger people. They will buy something in September and then donate it it in May, and some of these places only accept last season's styles. Once I was shopping along this street and there was a line of fashionistas with bags of stuff to be looked over by the manager of the store or one of his underlings. These underlings are very cold hearted, I heard, and they will just look through the stuff and if it's not to their liking they will just smile and say they aren't buying anything offered.

I do agree that there is a peculiar smell emanating from some of these places, maybe because some of the people didn't wash their items before bringing it in the store. If buying second-hand, ALWAYS wash or dry clean before wearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:34 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm not interested in prestige or materialism. I don't care about brands or logos. I just want a good quality leather purse that looks nice and isn't used (nope, not interested in second hand). I am willing to pay more if it's something that will last a long time and will weather years of my use and abuse. I don't buy a lot of purses, but the few that I do own are in the $50-150 range and will last a long time and are classic (yet still interesting) styles.

And guess what? It's my money, so I'll spend it how I want on whatever I want with no apologies to anyone.
Exactly. I don't like secondhand purses either. Used books are fine. Used furniture and used cars I'm cool with too. Used purses have an ick factor I can't deal with And that's my price range too: $50-$150. Most of my purses are leather, but not all. I have my purses custom made as one of a kind pieces on etsy. I love them and they last me for years. No one else has a bag like mine and they are made exactly the way I want them. I also help support artisans who enjoy taking their time making unique things by hand rather than cranking out crappy plastic trinkets by the millions of China. Everyone wins.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:14 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I agree. Toting an expensive purse only impresses other materialistic woman.
and makes the rest of us roll our eyes and chuckle!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
I have found a rough correlation between price and longevity. After buying cheaper purses that fell apart within a few months I realized it was worth it to me to spend more.

I did go through a phase (in college and my early 20s) where I got more purses to march every outfit, and then I thought about a purse wardrobe and went looking for items on my list.

I spent a decade looking for a perfect everyday black bag, each failing for a different reason after months or years. I started to donate and sell off bags not in use and splurged on a "forever bag." It made sense to spend the extra money, as it is much nicer than other bags I have. It is a shaped I have liked for 20 years and I expect this bag to last for a long time.

I have used it virtually every day since. So for me more really is more.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:20 PM

22,444 posts, read 11,969,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Since you feel the need to inform posters () that you can now "afford to pay more," you can do that without suggesting that there isn't a happy medium between a $4 purse and a D&B.
I don't know why what I wrote bothered you so much.

That said, what purses do you find to be a "happy medium" between a 1/2 price D&B purse bought at the outlet store and a $4 purse? What brand of purse do you think is priced in between that is well made and lasts for years?

Old 03-09-2015, 10:03 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,977,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Kind of like this thread.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Womans fashions are one of the largest scams in the world retail cycles almost justifying knock offs ( if made well as some are not). Purses and handbags unless diamond or gems studded are generally made for 1/4 the retail charge. The popularity is driven by customer susceptibility of womens greed, an illusion of prestige ( once the market is flooded no-
body cares and nobody impressed) . Women actually who spend hundreds for a purse are mostly mocked , considered fools and materialistic suckers. My wife yesterday bought a non oustentatious medium sized all leather purse for $18 at a
second hand store in mint condition which sells for $145 at
TJMax She gets designer clothes for $4 at Goodwill . A vest that sells for $350 she paid $12 and its seriously like totally new! God I like her! The exploitation of womans fashions has
cause many to go into severe debt driven by image, in-
security ,attractive features ,competition, and marketing
frenzy like QVC and so-called sales.

I agree and I have never bought anything designer.
I did however splurge on handbags made out of seat belts but not those made by Harvey and I think what I have is better quality than what Harvey makes.
My handbags were a lifetime and beyond purchase because they will still be around much longer than I am on this earth and they will still be in like new condition.
They are stored in air tight plastic bins, wrapped in their own bag and used for one month at a time then I switch to a different color.

You can take what you wrote and change the word "Handbag" to anything that a consumer purchases like
Boats
Homes
Vehicles
Food (organic & gourmet)
Shoes
Socks
Gloves........etc etc etc

If humans would quit buying items that are very over priced those prices would drop rather quickly.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:23 PM

324 posts, read 330,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
So does someone in next lane in a nicer car makes you roll your eyes and chuckle? To each its own , as other posters said why is I phone ok but a nice purse is not. Yes I buy expensive purses I also use that same purse every single day for years.... to be honest I probably used only 2 purses in last 10 years ..... so I think I an getting my money out of it.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Don't care about price tags or labels on purses, just care how functional they are. A handbag is not a status symbol, in my world.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:13 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Knight View Post
Do women's purses actually "wear out"?
Is it not more likely they will just go out of fashion?
3 30 dollar purses should last forever... how do you wear out a purse? Possibly too much crappola it?

They do wear out and it has nothing to do with how much is in them.
If used daily a lower quality purse will wear much quicker than a good quality purse.

For the record I have seen men with wallets in their back pocket with more "crappola" in them than the bag I was carrying.
Then they sit on them while driving and wonder why they have a backache all the time because their spine is out of alignment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty