Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 12:03 AM

6,451 posts, read 6,605,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Perhaps it is a natural gesture on their part, I tend to sway while standing in the checkout line which comes natural to me because I used to stand and sway my babies (when they were babies) and put them to sleep.
My youngest baby is 28 and I still do it but I do stop when I realize I am doing the sway in line.
It's not a matter of it being a "natural gesture." The first time I encountered it was at a formal heart association fundraising gala, and there was a photographer taking shots of all the attendees. When my husband and I were getting our picture taken, the photographer posed me with my my hand on my hip. I thought it seemed strange and awkward at at the time, but I posed as he told me. When we got the photos later, I thought I looked stupid standing that way.

Other photographers have tried to pose me that way, on cruise ships and at weddings, but I now refuse.

I frequently see these kinds of pics on facebook (always females) and it's all I can do to not post a comment about the silly pose. (Don't worry, I'm a nice person who wouldn't actually do that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 01:32 AM

40 posts, read 71,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think it's anything more than not knowing what to do with your hands, so you just do what feels most natural. I don't think people are putting that much thought into it, OP.
I can't speak for others but for me, when I do it, it's because of this; just not knowing what to do with my hands. I don't like my picture taken very often but I notice that when I do, I often am doing that pose. Recently we had to do a group shot at work, which I was not too keen on to begin with, and didn't realize until after I saw the pic that I had my hand on my hip. I think that it may also be because I don't want to do the picture at all so maybe it's a combination of annoyed I have to do the picture and not knowing what to do with my hands.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:42 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,591,283 times
It's a sorority pose, just a way to have big groups fit into a picture so you have two rows of people. google "sorority pose".

Old 03-12-2015, 01:55 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
It's not a matter of it being a "natural gesture." The first time I encountered it was at a formal heart association fundraising gala, and there was a photographer taking shots of all the attendees. When my husband and I were getting our picture taken, the photographer posed me with my my hand on my hip. I thought it seemed strange and awkward at at the time, but I posed as he told me. When we got the photos later, I thought I looked stupid standing that way.

Other photographers have tried to pose me that way, on cruise ships and at weddings, but I now refuse.

I frequently see these kinds of pics on facebook (always females) and it's all I can do to not post a comment about the silly pose. (Don't worry, I'm a nice person who wouldn't actually do that).
I have never allowed a photographer or anyone else to physically touch me let alone to pose me so I cannot relate.
I deactivated facebook years ago and don't miss it, don't involve myself in any other social media, don't watch television or movies, don't read the gossip magazines or articles and don't read the news.

Hence the reason I offered the opinion I did and I'm not that nice, I would post my opnion about a photo like that.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:04 AM

1,885 posts, read 2,506,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
Not awkward like the invisible bar stool pose.
Haha, yeah I think that's much worse than the hand of hip pose, which to me is okay. Actually I think that "invisible bar stool" pose has been around much longer, as I think when I was going to high school 20 years ago girls were going it. I always though they were trying to lower themselves so they don't block the person in back of them. Now I think maybe they think it's sexy or something, I really don't know.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:20 AM

269 posts, read 369,612 times
Pretty sure the bar stool pose is so they don't block the people behind. I refuse to do it because I'm already short and don't like to lose any in a photo.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:41 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,577,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
For the past two of three years, the trend seems to be for women to pose with their hands on their hips. Perhaps it it supposed to make them look slimmer or something, but I think it generally looks ridiculous. I see this in portraits (such as those taken at weddings or on cruise ships), and in pictures on the facebook ALL the time. I'll admit I have an irrational annoyance about this, and I just wonder how people can think this looks good.
Because the photographer doesn't know how to pose them to flatter them. Some are simply stupid, and the others are selfie obsessed which is a disorder really considering the atrociousness of those images.

"POSING" is an art really, and if you'd like to learn how to pose your subjects (regardless of their own stupidity as to what looks good), you'll need to watch Lindsay Adler's classes on Creative Live & KelbyOne.

Also a ridiculous pose is to show off arm pits; you know, one arm over the head exposing the arm pit!? I cannot imagine what the purpose could possibly be for such pose. I was actually shocked just yesterday when I saw an image win something where the model was in a horrible pose...

and it "won" because it had the most "likes"! So what that tells me is not only those who liked it know nothing about posing, but they also don't know nothing about lighting. This image is poorly lit, and her pose is abysmal at best! #sad

Unfortunately, "women" at large have lost the sense of what is actually feminine/attractive/sexy and a lot of them don't even know how to wear heels nowadays, and it's all coming from the lack of parenting and having someone teach them one on one how to be women. A lot of them (sadly) imitate low class celebrities, and they don't even know how ridiculous they make themselves look. They slouch, don't wear proper make up or hair, and generally they have a really frumpy look. It's disappointing.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do women pose like this???-region-capture-23.png  

Old 03-12-2015, 09:13 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,551,277 times
Haha. This is a funny thread. I am a part time actor and spend a lot of time around women, as you would expect. They even laugh at themselves often for doing this pose. I don't take it too seriously, it's just something to do with a hand other than crossing your arms or putting them around another person in the photo.

Just a weird tic, I think !

Old 03-12-2015, 11:49 AM

149 posts, read 162,733 times
Hahaha!! My husband and I have noticed this idiotic pose on facebook for a couple of years now. We've mostly seen this with young women in graduation and prom photos, but even at less formal events as well. The best is when three or four of them are lined up, doing "the pose" and all of them with completely different body types. It just doesn't work. I honestly can't appreciated how pretty they look, or how happy or excited they look because I'm too busy laughing.
On a somewhat related note--I recently was looking at photo after photo of my daughter's friends at a school event posing in a hallway, some even doing "the pose". I asked my daughter why she was only in one of the pictures. She answered that that group of girls had spent the whole time in the hallway posing and that she wanted to actually enjoy some of the party. I understand the concept of getting a portrait taken on special occasions, but I'd always rather see candids as I they better illustrate the mood and atmosphere of the event.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:38 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,784,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
It's a sorority pose, just a way to have big groups fit into a picture so you have two rows of people. google "sorority pose".
That might be true for the "invisible bar stool" pose, but not the pose the OP is talking about. Putting both of your hands on your hips actually take sup more space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty