Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:59 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I've only ever worn nude/clear lip gloss. Never liked the look of color on my lips. I'm 60, whenever I put any color on it makes me look old(er) and my lips look thinner than they already are.

Maybe if I'd tried and gotten used to it when younger.

But how do you find "the right shade" when lipsticks are so darn expensive? It never looks the same when you try it on at the store, not to me anyway.
drug stores and also sephora take back/exchange lipstick. keep the receipt while you test the color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 08:09 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
what shade and make are you wearing? i too was quite amazed how good it looks when i tried it. but now i have gone back to a more muted red.
I bought one from Target made by "Kate" (as in Kate Moss). Is is the "Moisture Renew" line, #505 called "Red Alert" and it is a bright true red, I love it! Not expensive either (I think under $6.00) Anyway, there are a ton of shades of red out there. I dye my hair dark brown (which was my original color before going 60% gray) and I have a light golden tan, and this shade suits me.

Yes, most drugstores and other places will accept returns even on opened makeup. Good luck finding your shade!

Old 03-19-2015, 04:21 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I am 66, and I'm thinking that a crimson slash across my face might make people not notice the eye bags.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am 66, and I'm thinking that a crimson slash across my face might make people not notice the eye bags.
Honestly, it really does brighten up the face. It makes the whole complexion come alive. And I have slight eyebags at my age and they really are less noticeable with brighter lipstick on.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:09 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Some older women wearing red lipstick might look good, but some don't and some look silly. I do not think it makes a woman look younger. More than likely, it makes an older woman look like she is wearing the same makeup she wore earlier in her life.

A woman I used to see at bridge tournaments out-of-town must have been in her eighties and she dressed in low cut blouses showing generous cleavage which looked like 2 flesh colored oranges and cottage cheese chest skin, with long danging earrings and full makeup. Clearly she perceived herself as a hot, sexy person, but it's doubtful anyone else thought it, except maybe a 90 year old man. Although, many elderly men are looking at much younger women.

Last edited by Rubi3; 03-20-2015 at 09:26 AM..

Old 03-20-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Some older women wearing red lipstick might look good, but some don't and some look silly. I do not think it makes a woman look younger. More than likely, it makes an older woman look like she is wearing the same makeup she wore earlier in her life.

A woman I used to see at bridge tournaments out-of-town must have been in her eighties and she dressed in low cut blouses showing generous cleavage which looked like 2 flesh colored oranges and cottage cheese chest skin, with long danging earrings and full makeup. Clearly she perceived herself as a hot, sexy person, but it's doubtful anyone else thought it, except maybe a 90 year old man. Although, many elderly men are looking at much younger women.
Well, all I got to say is ROCK ON granny! I am glad she is doing what pleases her. If SHE thinks she looks good, that is all that matters. I'll probably be doing the same at that age....

Old 03-20-2015, 01:44 PM

301 posts, read 823,795 times
After reading this thread I went to a MAC counter and asked them to help me choose a red that would rock my warm-tone 60+ face. After trying several we decided on "Dubonnet" which I love! I then googled "MAC Dubonnet dupe" and discovered NYX "Snow White" @ Ulta. MAC cost $16 & NYX was $3.99! I had already bought the MAC, but also bought the NYX so I could truly compare. The difference in color, texture, shine, and wear-ability was very, very minute. If you find a high-end color that you love don't hesitate to check for a dupe - you could save some money and still look fab!

Old 03-20-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
After reading this thread I went to a MAC counter and asked them to help me choose a red that would rock my warm-tone 60+ face. After trying several we decided on "Dubonnet" which I love! I then googled "MAC Dubonnet dupe" and discovered NYX "Snow White" @ Ulta. MAC cost $16 & NYX was $3.99! I had already bought the MAC, but also bought the NYX so I could truly compare. The difference in color, texture, shine, and wear-ability was very, very minute. If you find a high-end color that you love don't hesitate to check for a dupe - you could save some money and still look fab!
Awesome! I am going to check out that NYX.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:54 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I read in a beauty mag years ago that you never want a red lipstick that has "blue" tone to it. More orange is better. Your teeth look yellow against a "blue" red tone.
Years ago they had "revlon red" which was the perfect shade. But last time I looked Revlon did not have it anymore
That depends entirely on the person's complexion. Some people look better in clothing with "cool" colors, vs. "warm" colors. Same with lipstick.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:06 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I read in a beauty mag years ago that you never want a red lipstick that has "blue" tone to it. More orange is better. Your teeth look yellow against a "blue" red tone.
Years ago they had "revlon red" which was the perfect shade. But last time I looked Revlon did not have it anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
In fact, it's the opposite.
Delahanty, I was sooo darned certain you were incorrect. So I googled to see what I could learn. I guess you know your lipstick color facts!

Which Lipstick Shades Make Teeth Look Whiter - Lipstick Colors For Whiter Teeth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty