Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 06:57 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times

Advertisements

Because they want to care more about appearances. Their "busy" is not the same as a suburban mom's "busy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 07:07 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
In the city, people are very image/brand/status conscious. There's also a lot of emphasis on fitness and working out. People tend to wear flattering clothing to show off their bodies. They also tend to follow fashion trends.

I always scratch my head whenever I read somewhere that the USA is one of the fattest countries on the planet. Where are all these supposed obese people? Certainly not in the big cities.
lol! I keep reading complaints on some of the C-D forums about "all" the obese women around. Where? Where are they? There's no epidemic of obesity anywhere, where I've lived. But the western states statistically have a lot less of that, anyway. And you're right re: your points in the first paragraph. Even if women don't wear makeup in certain areas, they do tend to watch fashion to some extent, and dress in a flattering way. And they tend to be physically active, and go to the gym or walk or jog, hike, etc.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:14 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
first of all, first thing I notice is that city people walk everywhere because it is a major pain in the butt to own a car in a city. So they are likely to be in shape.

Many ex-urban (burbs and elsewhere) people drive everywhere and don't go much of anywhere unless they drive. And the fact that there is no where to go.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:40 PM

490 posts, read 659,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Let me ask you a question. I was outside of an Air Force Base, and found all the people neatly dressed in Uniforms, clean shaven, and short haircuts, unlike the people I see in my small town. Why do you suppose that is?
Didn't you answer your own question? You said you were outside on an air force base.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:40 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,385,975 times
In my village, I can't find a good hairdresser who knows how to cut my wavy hair. So I'm now trying to grow it back to long and then I will pull it into a ponytail. For now, I look unkempt. Considering my age, very unkempt. The best review for spa and face-care salons is 2.5 out of 5 so I'm just scared to go there. The only good dermatologist has closed his practice here a year ago. There are no places to clean my leather jacket.The only tailor shops are both Chinese and I used one of them. Once. Never again. The best department store in our village is Sears. The nearest even Macy's is in 360 miles. So I order my clothes online hoping they will fit. Luckily, often I have a free (or at a small charge) return option. But I can't ship a hairdresser or a beautician here and then return them. There are no streets where it is theoretically possible to walk on heels.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:35 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
Didn't you answer your own question? You said you were outside on an air force base.
He said he was outside of an AFB, not outside on an AFB.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:41 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
I have been to 45 states, to many big cities, many small cities and it seems to me that the most beautiful people are typically in the larger cities. Why is it that the more cosmopolitan a person is the more beautiful they are?

Not saying that only ugly people live in rural areas. Have seen hotties in the middle of no where but just very few of them.

Is it Competition? more current with trends? Aren't people in the city typically busier and should theoretically have less time to groom themselves and are generally more stressed out, no?
Why is it that people are so fixated on how beautiful one person or the other is.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and no matter what you think everyone is beautiful to someone and it is not necessarily physical beauty.

As far as a city person being busier than someone who lives in the country or on a farm, I would guess you don't know any farmers and have not spent much time lving on a farm, out in the country or tending to livestock and crops.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:44 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Let me ask you a question. I was outside of an Air Force Base, and found all the people neatly dressed in Uniforms, clean shaven, and short haircuts, unlike the people I see in my small town. Why do you suppose that is?

This is a trick question right?
Seriously, the answer is so obvious my Dog could give it to you.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:14 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:

Of course I did, but you still didn't get it. Your physical location and environment is the key. The Chameleon effect. You adapt your appearance to suit the surroundings. Everyone does it. Funerals, weddings, church, interview, social events, workplace, and so on. Its called "Adaption." You where in the city instead, comparing it with country. Huge difference between the two, for all the reasons folks here gave you, post after post, and still, "zing" it went right over your head. Same people, "Painted" to suit their environment.

City: More people, more competition, more need to distinguish yourself from others to stand out as more special, or just to be "Normal" to your surroundings, where standards are higher.

Country: Go to Walmart. Observe. Laid back, comfortable, and some, down right disgusting. The majority, Normal to their surroundings.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:19 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This is a trick question right?
Seriously, the answer is so obvious my Dog could give it to you.

Of course it is. Just as obvious as the question in the OP was, if you stopped to think just a teeny bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty