Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 03:52 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,203 times

Advertisements

I figure it can be for many reasons, not just solid one.

1. Afraid to be taken the wrong way, and thought of as a creep or possibly sex offender. Guys do have to be careful with some crazy women nowadays. So the compliments are reserved for a girlfriend, or women they have been talking to for a good bit/

2. Fear of being misunderstood. Sometimes they lady in question may look nice, but it doesn't mean he's attracted to her, thus he's scared she'll think he's sexually or romantically interested. Like how flirting can be taken the wrong way. Some are just flirtatious in general, even toward those they don't really like in that way.

Same for me. I may dress up, make-up, hair, nice clothes. But the only compliments, in real life, I ever get will be from other women, and family members who say I am pretty, beautiful, gorgeous, etc. And one gay man at one point being shocked that I was single, and wondering why I don't need to keep men at bay. And guys who have shown interest in me were the bad ones, who I think like any kind of female. Hasn't done much for my confidence. I tend to let compliments roll off my back nowadays, and don't take them seriously, since I rarely hear them from guys who I would like to hear them from. lol

I got my hair done. I had my mp3 on and was listening to music. As I was leaving, my mother tapped me, excited saying I was getting lots of compliments that I couldn't even hear. But I had to tell her I didn't really care that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 03:56 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
Nowadays one could be called a creep or worse sued!

But many women do take compliments in a nice way and don't think much of it.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:57 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
Even outside work I notice guys rarely compliment women unless its much older man
Because its been beat out of them.... You change the way someone does something the majority of ther waking hors, and there WILL be blead over.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:59 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times
i complemented an older white lady at a job i worked at one time

she had gotten her hair 'did' and i guess she was shocked that i noticed

seemed to have made her day.

---

you cant complement your girl too much, that kind of dilutes the authenticity

Old 03-24-2015, 04:00 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks
Hanging around with the wrong men.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:01 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Man: "Hey youre looking really nice today"

Woman: (puzzled, irritated look) "Umm okay whatever...thanks"

Man : (fine then whatever. see if i ever compliment anyone again)

Old 03-24-2015, 04:06 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
Nowadays women take it as offensive or perverted. "This pervert is trying to get into my pants". I especially would not do it at work UNLESS I really knew the person. And of course keep it tasteful. And sincere. Ladies out there are probably saying "oh I wouldn't get upset by that"... Yes, BUT some would. And you do not walk around with a sign on you saying "I don't mind being complimented". What might strike one as a compliment might strike another as (here is that so common word today...wait for it) OFFENSIVE.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:14 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Not to jump on you O.P., but it is just another example of some people wanting it both ways.
You're disturber and a little sad if a man doesn't compliment your new hair style, but ready to go to HR if said man compliments you and then ask you out on a date.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:18 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks
Guys don't want to get arrested for fired for sexual harassment.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:32 PM

3,507 posts, read 764,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Man: "Hey youre looking really nice today"

Woman: (puzzled, irritated look) "Umm okay whatever...thanks"

Man : (fine then whatever. see if i ever compliment anyone again)
this ... i work with a girl who is uncommonly sexy whether she means to be or not but i dare not tell her ,,she is married also ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty