Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:58 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times

Advertisements

I advise those ignorant men when given the chance. I hardly notice men here talking about their own style. (Maybe they should do it more.) I don't often see men anywhere - besides some obvious homosexuals - who are making much of an effort to dress poorly. No, it is not my fault that many women have a faulty idea of how people on the street or in other places will react when they see them.

This thread is a backlash against men, to which I respond that it's closer to collective tastes than personal desires. I'd agree that the airing of "shoulds" is stupid if I thought they were based on esoteric personal tastes (like the color of a woman's underwear). Do you not understand that collective tastes are of some importance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 12:08 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I advise those ignorant men when given the chance. I hardly notice men here talking about their own style. (Maybe they should do it more.) I don't often see men anywhere - besides some obvious homosexuals - who are making much of an effort to dress poorly. No, it is not my fault that many women have a faulty idea of how people on the street or in other places will react when they see them.

This thread is a backlash against men, to which I respond that it's closer to collective tastes than personal desires. I'd agree that the airing of "shoulds" is stupid if I thought they were based on esoteric personal tastes (like the color of a woman's underwear). Do you not understand that collective tastes are of some importance?
80% of men are wonderful and treat women well. I don't hate men or think they are better or worse than women. I think men wear lots of questionable things that make them look ridiculous. However, it is their choice.

If men collectively eschew some fashion trends that women wear, then those women wouldn't get mates. I don't see the masses of single people roaming the world and they could only get together if they just dressed better. I see people connecting and dating all over the place.

Your opinion is just that, an opinion. I know i won't change it, but I would like you to consider that even with our differences the genders are not so dissimilar. We each want love, companionship, comfort, sex, and all the wonderful things that life entails.

By pigeonholing women and focusing on their faults, you are missing the wonders of the female gender. By holding onto negative feelings, you are missing all the women who do dress the way you want.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Decades ago, women had fewer options and were subject to social control over their appearance (and other things, of course). Most of that didn't come directly from men, but rather from schools, moms, finishing schools, etc. Frankly, now that women have so much freedom over their looks, many don't know how to handle it (as in fake-looking cosmetic surgery, trashy styles, and boyish hairstyles), and it can negatively affect men via scarcity of desirable, appropriate women. Men tend to grumble but still listen when women 'should' them about style (the demise of pleats is an example); it's time for women to have the same attitude. Everyone would be happier for it.
Reread what you wrote. You are focusing on how women's fashion choices negatively impact men, instead of focusing on the fact that they are actively choosing how they look. They are adults and capable of choosing what they wear.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:46 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
Men's serious clothing mistakes tend to be mindless, as in dressing just for comfort or buying whatever is on sale and nominally fits. I don't think they usually believe those things look good. Mindless or uninformed decision-making will not be respected by me and is not really what I consider active choice. Active choice based on bad motives (e.g., gold-digging) also won't be respected.

Quote:
If men collectively eschew some fashion trends that women wear, then
those women wouldn't get mates.
Right, but I didn't claim that. I didn't even claim that few men like trashy-looking women, just that they probably don't want to marry them. I think most men will eagerly get with (but not necessarily wed) women they find somewhat physically attractive (not that they'd rate those women as well-dressed). Smarter, more moral men might not go for that, and there are plenty of us. I think the wrong people are getting together, often because they (especially the men) aren't coming across what they would like more and aren't quickly thinking enough past surface attraction (e.g., maybe she's "hot" because she is immature or a gold-digger). The people who are unattractive in face and body often get ignored by most decent-looking people; and narcissists, for example, are reputed to be sexy-looking and skilled at getting into relationships. Personally I almost never see a woman who has both an attractive body and a tasteful sense of style.

I am frustrated partly because I do agree that the genders have much in common. Due to that, we ought to listen to each other and try to find common ground.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:10 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
According to many posters on CD women should....

Wear make up and try to look more attractive. Also they need to not wear makeup and be natural.

Have sex with the males that want to have sex, but only with one. If they do have sex with several guys they are loose women.

Should wear clothes that don't reveal any part of their bodies, especially camel toe and cleavage. Except they should also dress in a more sexy way to please their men.

Women should also be more aggressive in bed, but only if that is the guys fantasy. If a guy rubs your back or buys you dinner it means you should put out.

Argh!!!! These threads make me nuts.

How about women should make up their own mind about how they dress and act, and men can do the same.

:-)
you left out yoga pants, but otherwise good points/rant.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:09 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
I hate this thread , and the same goes for any gender based thing on fashion. Didn't people tell you to keep those thoughts personal ?

Its OK to have opinions on people (I'll admit, I do it too). But its not OK to insist they obey them.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:35 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I hate this thread , and the same goes for any gender based thing on fashion. Didn't people tell you to keep those thoughts personal ?

Its OK to have opinions on people (I'll admit, I do it too). But its not OK to insist they obey them.
But the thread makes that point.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:19 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
But the thread makes that point.
Perhaps, but I don't like it. It hits me deep, for some unexplainable reason.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:26 PM

1,553 posts, read 925,116 times
Women should ... eat LESS and get MORE exercise...

Old 04-02-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Perhaps, but I don't like it. It hits me deep, for some unexplainable reason.
I'm sorry for that Adi. I know it hits you hard, but this thread is not meant for you. I started it because I got so frustrated with all the. "Women should..." Threads. They are prolific and often contradictory.

Women are capable of choosing what to wear, just as men are. It's okay to suggest things you find attractive or interesting to wear on this forum, but insisting a whole gender conform is obnoxious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty