Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:56 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilfaith View Post
The problem is that most mass retailers don't carry smaller band sizes. For me a great thing about being pregnant was that I could wear a 34C and buy bras inexpensively and everywhere. Normally I am a 30D (or even a 28DD...but they are even harder to come by) and can only find my size at a few high-end department stores or online. And while I occasionally can get a deal on my size at a Nordstrom Rack or Off 5th, bras in less "mainstream" sizes cost a pretty penny. Of course more women would probably be wearing the "right" bra size if their size were more readily available, and more affordable. Otherwise they'll continue to make due with what they can find that "sort of" works. For years Victoria's Secret tried to sell me 34Bs, because they didn't carry much in a 32C (which was what I thought my size was) and I'd put up with straps that slid off my shoulders because they came closest to fitting.
If the cups fit on a bra, you can take up the band and straps. It's not ideal, but it's cheaper than the 120$ bras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 08:51 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
A friend recommended Body by Victoria's Secret full coverage bra. I bought 2 and so far so good. The cups run a little small so I ended up with a 34 DDD.
Victoria's Secret actually has DDD? last time I went they told me they carry upto DD & most of their stuff feels like my girls are about to fall out. But that was years ago

Old 04-16-2015, 09:01 AM

604 posts, read 839,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Victoria's Secret actually has DDD? last time I went they told me they carry upto DD & most of their stuff feels like my girls are about to fall out. But that was years ago
Same here. I had not gone to VS in years until my friend told me about the Body by VS bras. This is a very comfortable full coverage bra. They have several styles of Body by VS and the one I got is the full coverage style.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
After you find your correct size, I recommend Amazon. I buy all my bras there as my size isn't in stores.

It's so frustrating to hear/read about "So many women are wearing the wrong bra size" yet stores don't stock any cup sizes larger than DDD. Almost always I hear stories about women getting measured and find that they need to wear a smaller band/larger cup size. I don't need a 40 or 42 band size, which is what some stores consider "plus size" bras. I need a smaller band size and larger cup size. Why aren't THOSE combinations considered "plus size" and stocked in a plus size section of a store? Also adding to my frustration is I have a petite frame, so underwires (which are necessary for support) cut into my arm/armpit areas and the cups are too far apart.
I totally understand. And I feel your frustration. I am legitimately on the plus size clothing line as well at size 14. I find that the "plus sized" stores start at bands of 36/38 and the cups end at G. So even when I was a couple sizes larger, plus sized bras didn't fit me. These days I wear a 34H in most brands, and the American brands tend to have looser bands so I'd need a 32J or similar, a size they do not even carry. And "normal" brands do not go high enough in the cup.

I am also fairly narrow shouldered with close set breasts, even though I am a size 14 so I have the same problem you do with too wide underwires. Many brands stab me in the armpits. They assume that people with larger busts have breasts that are far apart as well. So many bras leave me looking splayed.

The brands I have had the most success with are Freya, Fantasie and Ewa Michalak. Occasionally Cleo is narrow enough.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
If the cups fit on a bra, you can take up the band and straps. It's not ideal, but it's cheaper than the 120$ bras.
The band provides the support in your bra. Taking in the band is not very helpful if it is off by too many sizes as the straps would be too wide and the band may not have been designed well to support a different weight distribution. Also the underwires may be spaced to widely. Suddenly you are rebuilding the whole bra.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 AM

625 posts, read 623,996 times
Go get a professional fitting (I like Nordstrom). Yes, a good fitting, well designed bra will cost more, but it's worth it.

I only buy Natori & Wacoal now. I can't imagine going back to anything else. The cheaper ones look cheap sooner -- so you haven't really saved money if you have to replace them more often.

There are several websites where you can input your bra info & measurements and they give you a list of possible styles (True & Co is one).

Nordstrom is great because they fit you and come in with you to check fit. They will bring several different brands, styles. And if you get them home and they don't work, RETURN them. They are great about returns.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:47 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
Same here. I had not gone to VS in years until my friend told me about the Body by VS bras. This is a very comfortable full coverage bra. They have several styles of Body by VS and the one I got is the full coverage style.
The Body By Victoria full coverage has been my everyday bra for over 10 years now. It really is great bra.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 AM

625 posts, read 623,996 times
Default VS vs others

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I agree. VS bras are comfy & cute, but didn't really work for me once I hit DD. Always felt like I was falling out. Especially when you can pay the same or just a bit more for a better brand (Natori, Wacoal, etc).

Old 04-18-2015, 04:30 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,153,706 times
I have a smaller chest and larger breasts, too. Right now, at my "higher weight" I wear a 36G in Glamorise bras. Nearest stores are 3 hours away so I order online (JC Penney online has sizes they don't sell in
their stores) but bra catalogs like Lady Grace and Simply B are worth looking at. When you find the right bra for you but it's pricey, do check for it on eBay because sometimes they show up there for less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty