Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 05:25 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,583,063 times

Advertisements

I recently bought an epilator to help me deal with a lot of unwanted facial hair; it looks like I'm unsuccessfully trying to grow a beard! So far, I haven't gotten anything, and the thing really hurts. I'm not sure if it's pulling hair, skin, or somehow electrocuting me. I thought I might let the hair grow a little longer since I have the weak off of work for both jobs; my boss is sick, and the kids are on spring break. I noticed that it does pick up some hair, but it doesn't do the job I was expecting. Is this the way they are supposed to work? Has anyone used an epilator on coarse hair? I used it on the hair on my arms to test, and it worked very well, but I spent hours on my face and hardly no luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 09:39 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,934,141 times
I use one for legs and arms, but not my face. I'd suggest finding someone that does laser hair removal if the hairs are dark, or electrolysis if the hairs are white/blonde. Not all laser hair removal places really know what they are doing, and refuse to turn the laser power up high enough to really kill the follicle, so you have to go back repeatedly, and no guarantee they will ever kill it. Electrolysis hurts like hell, but it works.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:42 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times
Why not use tweezers & Wax strips ?

I use wax strips for my underarms. It works like a charm.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:04 PM

609 posts, read 615,844 times
The only thing you should ever do to your face is bleach and/or electrolysis. Everything else stay far away, especially laser. Laser can actually make things worse. Happened to me and a lot of others.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Why not use tweezers & Wax strips ?

I use wax strips for my underarms. It works like a charm.
They don't work on my chin; the hair is extremely coarse. Tweezers take forever; I was hoping epilation would be faster.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:19 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
The epilator is suitable for body hair but not for your face. You're not catching skin with it, the wheels stop turning when it catches skin and it leaves a small cut.

What about threading? That's fairly affordable to have done somewhere. I've never tried it personally so I don't know how painful it is, but I would assume it's comparable to the epilator.

This tool: Tweezerman - The Beauty Tools Experts - Skin, SHOP BY CATEGORY, Face, SHOP BY CONCERN, Cosmetic Tools, Nose, Ear & Facial Hair, Groom, Best Sellers, New - Smooth Finish Facial Hair Remover is supposed to be good for facial hair too.

The problem with coarse hair and the epilator is that you'll get ingrown hairs.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The epilator is suitable for body hair but not for your face. You're not catching skin with it, the wheels stop turning when it catches skin and it leaves a small cut.

What about threading? That's fairly affordable to have done somewhere. I've never tried it personally so I don't know how painful it is, but I would assume it's comparable to the epilator.

This tool: Tweezerman - The Beauty Tools Experts - Skin, SHOP BY CATEGORY, Face, SHOP BY CONCERN, Cosmetic Tools, Nose, Ear & Facial Hair, Groom, Best Sellers, New - Smooth Finish Facial Hair Remover is supposed to be good for facial hair too.

The problem with coarse hair and the epilator is that you'll get ingrown hairs.
Okay, I ordered something like that, too. I guess I will try it and see what happens. The only thing I didn't like about the epilator is I couldn't tell if it was really making any difference. I think it was just breaking a few of the hairs off.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:40 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,934,141 times
An epilator is not going to get rid of thick hairs permanently, and you are running a high risk at in-grown hairs which can get nasty infections. You need to find a good electrolysis or laser tech. I know lots of people that have had laser hair removal, none had any complications, but we also all used the same tech.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:14 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,000,620 times
Some hairs simply do NOT want to come out! I get a few stray "long" hairs nowadays on my neck...I can grab with the tweezers and it will sometimes BREAK the hair before I can pull it out! So, that might be the problem...you have tight hairs!

I've just started using a trimmer....faster than tweezing, doesn't hurt, and you can do it whenever you want to! It will NOT make anything grow back faster or thicker....

Old 04-07-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Some hairs simply do NOT want to come out! I get a few stray "long" hairs nowadays on my neck...I can grab with the tweezers and it will sometimes BREAK the hair before I can pull it out! So, that might be the problem...you have tight hairs!

I've just started using a trimmer....faster than tweezing, doesn't hurt, and you can do it whenever you want to! It will NOT make anything grow back faster or thicker....
I'm probably going to have to opt for electrolysis or something, although my last session was excruciatingly painful and long, and they only got a few hairs before I couldn't stand it. I shaved it once, and it grew back very coarse and noticeable. I should have opted for another solution, but I didn't know of any good ones at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty