Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

For quite a while, I got the BEST boots at a couple of local thrift shops. This was in California. One often just looked at donations in a box and put a sticker on it saying so much for any item. They randomly put the shoes/boots in a pile. On pair were real leather, in perfect condition, and probably a hundered dollar tall to the knee boots. I paid five. My best find ever.

Did I worry about getting coodies? Naw. And one pair was strange, with pipe sections what you laced it through. It would have been expensive and it was a dollar. I got LOTS of compliments.

I'd have had none of these, or the Mucklucks I also got for some five bucks which I literally wore out.

I don't get people who are afraid of touching anything for fear of germs. You're supposed to get exposed to a variety of microbes so you develop a good immune system. Then all those random 'bugs' do not make you sick.

Yes, you wash clothes from a thrift store. But I used to do a lot of summer clothes shopping at Good Will. They did it by color, not size, which was neat. Where I lived people tossed out nearly new clothes all the time and I got GREAT stuff really cheap. Sadly, where I live now, stuff is worth rags or a small hunk of blue material or the zippers before it goes so the shopping isn't so good.

People should be *encouraged* to donate and buy stuff which is still wearable since its a good way of not wasting so much of our planets precious resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 12:15 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default Agree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
For quite a while, I got the BEST boots at a couple of local thrift shops. This was in California. One often just looked at donations in a box and put a sticker on it saying so much for any item. They randomly put the shoes/boots in a pile. On pair were real leather, in perfect condition, and probably a hundered dollar tall to the knee boots. I paid five. My best find ever.

Did I worry about getting coodies? Naw. And one pair was strange, with pipe sections what you laced it through. It would have been expensive and it was a dollar. I got LOTS of compliments.

I'd have had none of these, or the Mucklucks I also got for some five bucks which I literally wore out.

I don't get people who are afraid of touching anything for fear of germs. You're supposed to get exposed to a variety of microbes so you develop a good immune system. Then all those random 'bugs' do not make you sick.

Yes, you wash clothes from a thrift store. But I used to do a lot of summer clothes shopping at Good Will. They did it by color, not size, which was neat. Where I lived people tossed out nearly new clothes all the time and I got GREAT stuff really cheap. Sadly, where I live now, stuff is worth rags or a small hunk of blue material or the zippers before it goes so the shopping isn't so good.

People should be *encouraged* to donate and buy stuff which is still wearable since its a good way of not wasting so much of our planets precious resources.
I totally agree with the idea of trying to re-use and salvage things. I think at least where I am from we waste so much stuff and often just get tired of things. I think it is way better to re-purpose stuff. I have heard of the idea of having swap/ trading parties where groups of people met up and just put stuff they no longer use or need in piles and just trade off each other. Never tried it, but think it is a cool idea.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:48 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Ive always loved thrift store clothes even as a teen when I wasn't required to pay for my own stuff. I don't care about the history of a particular garment. If I like it and want it then it works for me.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:01 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I rarely buy clothing at thrift stores because I am petite and rarely find anything that fits properly and I don't have the patience to go through racks and racks of clothes to find the one rose among all the thorns. I don't have the patience to even shop at places like TJ Maxx for that reason. The petites are usually thrown in with all the other clothes and I'm not into the hunt. I usually wait for a great sale at my favorite stores where I can find my size without spending hours searching.

That being said I went into a consignment shop one day just browsing and saw a black evening gown that was beautiful and in my size. Although it wasn't petite I figured I could hem it. The gown fit like it was made for me and it cost me under $20. I have had to take it in when I lost 20 pounds but I still have it 10 years later.

I would buy from consignment shops more than I ever would do from Goodwill.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:43 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Deceased person's clothing or not, I've never bought USED clothing in my entire life...never have, never will. I'd still rather buy cheap, NEW clothing.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,598 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I buy almost all my clothes used.

Upscale consignment resale, all the way down to Savers and Goodwill.

I am SO SICK of paying 50 bucks or so for a top or a pair of jeans and wash them twice and they shrink or lose their shape (especially with shirts).

If you get something that's been gently warn, and washed several times, it's not going to change when you wash it.

Also I hate the gauze thin shirts you can buy right now. Cheap and flimsy.

I buy very expensive purses second hand - right now I'm carrying a beautiful 400 dollar leather purse that I bought for $35. I wonder where all it's been . . .

Old 11-13-2018, 11:28 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I buy both new and used. I think I've learned about clothing and sizing from trying on so many used garments.

No regrets. Sometimes I turn up a real find. Sometimes I go home empty handed.

I also shop for the odd decorator item there.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:50 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I think a lot of the clothing found in thrift shops , especially vintage clothing is probably deceased people's clothing, unless it's something current manufacter thats been worn a few times and donated recently.

most people donate deceased person's clothing after a death in the family

so the clothing your wearing could be a dead man's clothes / dead lady clothes

does it bother you? I remember as a kid going into Salvation Army it use to smell so bad I use to gag from the smell of the old clothing and old shoes.

So? There's always machine wash or dry clean....

Old 11-13-2018, 04:23 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Heh - not only do I BUY it, I literally used to make a living buying and reselling used/vintage clothes! I have no qualms about "germs" - you wash it like anything else. Thrift shopping isn't so good anymore but I still buy from ebay and get great deals. My best find was a fantastic leather bomber jacket in the softest suede in an intricately stitched colorful butterfly design (Michael Hobin North Beach). I paid $15 and it would have cost at least 800 or 900 dollars new!

Old 11-13-2018, 04:52 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I buy almost all my clothes used.

Upscale consignment resale, all the way down to Savers and Goodwill.

I am SO SICK of paying 50 bucks or so for a top or a pair of jeans and wash them twice and they shrink or lose their shape (especially with shirts).

If you get something that's been gently warn, and washed several times, it's not going to change when you wash it.

Also I hate the gauze thin shirts you can buy right now. Cheap and flimsy.

I buy very expensive purses second hand - right now I'm carrying a beautiful 400 dollar leather purse that I bought for $35. I wonder where all it's been . . .
True, it won't change when you wash it, but I'll know mentally in my mind that someone else had their armpits or crotch in these clothes...well, I'd definitely never buy used pants for sure, I don't care how many times I would have dry cleaned it. Plus, you don't know who had cancer, AIDS, STDs, some weird rash, etc. Their body's been too close to the fabric for me to wear them afterward.

I have a gauze-thin top from H&M. They were on a good sale & came in 3 different colors, so I just bought about 5 or 6 of them, so I have a couple in each color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty