Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 05:26 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times

Advertisements

I am a man and I am going to interrupt. One thing I have discussed with women (especially my wife, size 10P) is why do women have an aversion to tailoring? In my wifes case it was length. I said if it fits your waist, butt, etc. but is to long, then have it tailored.

End of my rant......LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 05:41 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am a man and I am going to interrupt. One thing I have discussed with women (especially my wife, size 10P) is why do women have an aversion to tailoring? In my wifes case it was length. I said if it fits your waist, butt, etc. but is to long, then have it tailored.

End of my rant......LOL
As I mentioned above, it's not easy on the wallet. I can often spend as much on alterations as I spent to buy it.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:21 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
I think black narrow legged pants or legging type pants with a tunic type top is very "in" for the 35+ women. I buy my work slacks at a store that specializes in that look.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:59 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
This is a universally flattering dress. Pair it with nude colored shoes to elongate your legs.
http://www.talbots.com/online/browse...SGnnN44_uHLD0Q

Old 04-10-2015, 08:55 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
I found this fashion blog on Pinterest. It's fashion for the petite and curvy ladies. Lots of ideas here. The first fits your desire of "romantic" style clothing.
Style Cassentials: Romance in Lace and Tulle
And this: http://thecurvyfashionista.com/2013/...nd-a-few-tips/

Old 04-11-2015, 07:36 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks for the dress tip. I won't wear any shorts at all, they don't suit me - stylists say no one over 40 should. I like dresses and flow-y romantic style clothing.
no one over 40 should wear shorts at all ??

not sure if I agree with that

Old 04-11-2015, 02:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

End of my rant......LOL
Once upon a time and I mean a long, long time ago women could purchase clothes from a quality store like Marshal Fields in Chicago for a reasonable price and have them altered for a small fee. Those days are loooooong gone.

Only the very high end stores will do that for you today and I think. Otherwise, women have to go to a dressmaker which is expensive or if they are talented in that line, do it themsleves.

It's different for men, they have alterations coming with their clothes.

So I would guess the best answer to your question is that most women simply cannot afford to have their off the rack clothes tailored.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:52 PM

251 posts, read 246,404 times
My meager two cents is to suggest that your foundation garments are doing all they can to enhance your shape. I unfortunately see so many women who are apparently wearing a brassiere that does nothing to enhance their shape and give them that lovely hourglass look they could have with the right underpinnings. A bit of lift and support often means hello smaller waistline! Good luck!

Old 04-13-2015, 02:09 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I found this fashion blog on Pinterest. It's fashion for the petite and curvy ladies. Lots of ideas here. The first fits your desire of "romantic" style clothing.
Style Cassentials: Romance in Lace and Tulle
And this: The Curvy Fashionista | Petite and Plus Size: 8 Places to Shop and a Few Tips
Thanks, that's cute but I live in Northern AZ and other than maybe once a year (New Years?) I could not see that style fitting in here. And, I work from home.

I need something more causal but still beautiful. I'm also not that short and stout.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:11 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
no one over 40 should wear shorts at all ??

not sure if I agree with that
For women only! Stylist have been saying this for years. And, I saw it on Oprah so it must be right !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty