Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 12:25 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times

Advertisements

What would I do? Nothing much - either grow it to whatever length suits me or shave it off.

It's just hair. I don't know about you but I've got a few thousand things that are of more importance in my life than how many productive follicles I have.

And, yes, I know whereof I speak. While my hairline has only receded a little (I'm 46) I keep my hair short (I used a #2 trimmer on it once/week). In the past I've kept my head shaved; I would shave it every 5 days or so. Either worked fine. It doesn't require much work, I never had to bother with haircuts, and there is no daily hair maintenance at all.

My hair (including my facial hair) is also pretty heavily flecked with white hairs. Know what? I don't care. Because...

...it's just hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 12:55 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
george costanza on seinfeld. fat bald and short. trifecta! a guy like that is pathetic. he NEEDS hair. he actually had hair in that mcdlt commercial for mcdonalds from 1980s. check it out on youtube. the hot stays hot and cold stays cold! but his hair? no it vanishes!

btw, a guy who works with me had a hair transplant. they basically take sides of your hair and put it in your front. this is all done with local anesthesia with mild bleeding and mild pain. it takes a few hours and you are charged by the graft, usually a thousand or two. the idea is that the sides of your hair are not affected by dna hair loss or dht (look it up) so they will always be up there in the front. i am almost 40 and have about 70% of the hair i had when i was a kid. i don't show any scalp but it's not as thick as it was. sucks but that's how life is. at least you are young and healthy. shave it all off or go for a transplant (my recommendation). in general, hair on the head makes a man appear 10 years younger. and yes, i was one of those kids at that dining table who would snicker to my friends about "horseshoe balding pattern guy" whenever i saw one walk by. my own friend had a terribly recessive hairline in his teens. he always wore hats to hide it. another friend had a hairline that was about 2 inches from his eyebrows so (as he was uneducated) he would wear headbands that were so tight and he tried to force his hairline to recede a bit.

and btw, do NOT touch any medication. one of them will make your penis stop working (some guy is suing the pharmaceutical company for this) or other random things. stay away. either go bald and enjoy it or get a transplant. no drugs, nada.

Propecia Lawsuit Filed Over Sexual Side Effects & Peyronie's Disease

it's bad enough you don't have hair on your head (young girls your age DO want a guy with hair on his head, not someone who reminds them of their dads). don't lose your penis functionality too on TOP of growing titts! stay away from any of these drugs.

Propecia and Erectile Dysfunction - Sexual Side Effects Lawsuit
Is there a rule that all posts in this thread must include misinformation?

First of all, the sides can bald, especially toward the front. I could speculate on other reasons why hair from the sides wouldn't be transplanted, but anyway apparently it is seldom used. The back of the head is the preferred location.

I don't know about growing man-boobs (except that that can't be very common), but in almost no cases do the drugs cause long-term noticeable impairment of penis function! Many studies verify that.

If someone with progressive hair loss is scared off medication and gets a transplant anyway, some years later there will be strange gaps around hair. Alex Lifeson of Rush is one person I know of who has that, albeit there was no Propecia when he got his transplant(s).

Old 08-07-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
If one has died from a hair transplant, then it's a good chance that others have died. I don't believe that it's only happened to one person in all the time transplants have been done, despite what any kind of statistics say.

And, even in the unlikely event that only one person has died, that's still one person too many. The point is, a hair transplant is unnecessary surgery. However, if someone elects to have this, that's their business.

We also don't know what other kinds of health problems have occurred as a result of a hair transplant. I mentioned in a previous post that someone I talked to a while back told me that their entire top of their head was numb for a month after the transplant. Again, this doesn't sound healthy. Maybe not all transplants have this side effect, but I would be concerned about this.

As I said before, I don't trust doctors. They'll lie to you to get what they want. Also, note that it's my understanding that anyone who has any kind of surgery has to sign a form that states that if anything happens to them during the surgery, that the doctor/hospital isn't liable - I know, because one of my P.O.S. doctors was trying to convince me to get unnecessary surgery, and he was trying to get me to sign this form. I refused, and that was the end of that.

That all being said, it sounds like a lot of the medications for hair growth out there are also risky....
Going around looking bald is far riskier than almost any possible health consequence of hair loss treatment. And the other unmentioned risk from a transplant is infection. (Swelling too, if anyone cares about a few days of that.)

Living in fear of actively taking risks and the motives of others is a lousy way to live.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:10 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Going around looking bald is far riskier than almost any possible health consequence of hair loss treatment. And the other unmentioned risk from a transplant is infection. (Swelling too, if anyone cares about a few days of that.)

Living in fear of actively taking risks and the motives of others is a lousy way to live.
I don't know why walking around bald is risky - if you wear a hat to prevent yourself from getting a sunburn in the summer, and wear a woolen cap in the winter to keep from getting cold - you should be good. These days more guys who are bald are opting to shave their heads instead of getting hair transplants, hair loss treatments, etc. It's actually becoming quite common.

And, with each post, you're actually giving me more reasons as to why people shouldn't get hair transplants - i.e., above you're saying that you could get an infection & swelling as a result of a transplant.

I don't know why having unnecessary surgery is a good idea. A while back, there was a case locally where a woman went to the hospital to have elective surgery on her leg. The surgeon was incompetent & screwed up, and the woman had to have her leg amputated as a result. She sued the hospital/surgeon and got a lot of money, but so what?! She's now disabled for the rest of her life, can't work, etc. - all because of a P.O.S. scumbag surgeon.

I take enough risks every day as it is. Just getting up in the morning and driving to work is a risk! I don't need to add unnecessary surgery to that as well.

However, if you or anyone else wants to have unnecessary surgery, more power to you!

Old 08-07-2015, 06:22 PM

Elective joint surgery is almost an oxymoron. People feel they need to go through that quite unpleasant thing, which can do much more harm than a hair transplant can. It's something that usually is reluctantly agreed-upon between patient and doctor. Meanwhile, balding lowers attractiveness and often confidence - that can be very damaging to life. There are some types of cosmetic surgeries that in most cases probably aren't justified and maybe are pushed by doctors ("oh, by the way, I could also fix that for you"), but hair transplant isn't one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty