Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:12 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,247,240 times

Advertisements

I am a makeup artist and some womens faces just SCREAM for makeup.

For example I was watching a tv show where a 60 or so year old female scientist was talking.

She looked beyond dowdy. Her hair was greying and her face starting to fade. She was even wearing a brownish grey color so the overall impression was that of a clever groundhog.

Am I alone in finding this sort of inattention to appearance, extremely distracting?

She would've looked wonderful with a bit of color about her appearance, as it was both she and her topic were colorless and bland.

I know it sounds shallow but, grooming does speak about personality, and this scientist really looked as though she barely showered once a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 02:26 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

Am I alone in finding this sort of inattention to appearance, extremely distracting?

She would've looked wonderful with a bit of color about her appearance, as it was both she and her topic were colorless and bland.

I know it sounds shallow but, grooming does speak about personality, and this scientist really looked as though she barely showered once a day.
I doubt you are alone but I certainly hope you are in the minority. Not caring about makeup or following the latest fashion trends in hair or clothing is a long, long way from being sloppy, unkempt, or dirty. Very shallow, sorry.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:34 PM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
lots of folks young and old could use make up, a new do and a great outfit. especially if they were going to be on tv.
I wish more woman would get a good haircut than make up. so many women and girls seem not to notice their hair has splits and hangs on them. with that being said, some people just don't have a lifestyle that they need "fashionable on trend clothes". seems if you never were into make up young, you really see no need for it the older you get. some people have a very difficult time doing make up and hair. we have posts all the time of people asking how should I dress. so for some it doesn't come natural nor is it a priority.

when you are under 50 you can put on fresh make up and look better, refreshed. after 60 or so, you can put on fresh make up and you really don't look a whole lot different. it is horrible. lol. the more you apply the more you look like a powdered old lady.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:07 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
I sometimes see women who look very plain (the skin, eyes, and hair seem all one color) and think a little eye make up would make them very pretty.

Then there are the blondes and red heads with their white eye brows and white eye lashes - that REALLY screams for color!

Old 04-15-2015, 04:11 PM

36 posts, read 37,668 times
Not using make-up does not make people look dirty or unhygienic. For the most part I find when people don't wear make-up the worst they tend to look is a little tired, but I think that's mostly because we're so used to women's faces WITH make-up that it gives this illusion of tiredness when they don't wear it-after all, a majority of men don't wear make-up and they very rarely gave that look of being "tired" unless they actually are sleep deprived. Either way, women don't NEED to wear make-up to look clean and well-groomed and it's irritating that people still think this way.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:21 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
lots of folks young and old could use make up, a new do and a great outfit. especially if they were going to be on tv.
I wish more woman would get a good haircut than make up. so many women and girls seem not to notice their hair has splits and hangs on them. with that being said, some people just don't have a lifestyle that they need "fashionable on trend clothes". seems if you never were into make up young, you really see no need for it the older you get. some people have a very difficult time doing make up and hair. we have posts all the time of people asking how should I dress. so for some it doesn't come natural nor is it a priority.

when you are under 50 you can put on fresh make up and look better, refreshed. after 60 or so, you can put on fresh make up and you really don't look a whole lot different. it is horrible. lol. the more you apply the more you look like a powdered old lady.
Try a hyaluronic cream under your makeup. You will look less dry.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:13 PM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Try a hyaluronic cream under your makeup. You will look less dry.
thanks I will look for some I am always on the hunt for a good cream. I do not wear foundation, never have except for a few months when I was young. I don't like how it feels on my face. I do use blush and do my eyes. however doing the same routine as a youth, and now in my 60"s the results are far different. when younger, a hint more blush or mascara did wonders, making you look fresher and prettier. now it really has barely an impact. I notice this on lots of older women.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:02 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I am a makeup artist and...
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:07 PM

609 posts, read 615,921 times
If anything I think women should wear less makeup so we can all stop hiding under masks. Anyways, depending on how sensitive your skin is, it can ruin your face over time.
I like going makeup free most of the time. And nobody (friend or lover) has complained yet!

Old 04-15-2015, 06:11 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,608,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
thanks I will look for some I am always on the hunt for a good cream. I do not wear foundation, never have except for a few months when I was young. I don't like how it feels on my face. I do use blush and do my eyes. however doing the same routine as a youth, and now in my 60"s the results are far different. when younger, a hint more blush or mascara did wonders, making you look fresher and prettier. now it really has barely an impact. I notice this on lots of older women.
The older woman who wants to wear makeup has to change it up. tinted moisturizer, red lipstick (and liner), mascara top lashes only, fill in the eyebrows a bit, perhaps a bit of a neutral brown in the crease/outer corner of the eyelid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty