Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 01:10 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times

Advertisements

51. Went from mid thigh length to tailbone. People constantly compliment me on my hair. Mostly women. So lah dee dah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 01:23 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
No one over the age of about 19 should have hair down to their butt. For a simple reason: It almost never looks good. When it's that long, the woman invariably fails to keep it trimmed, and it always looks scraggly.

However, even a 50-year old, might be able to get away with shoulder-blade length hair.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:32 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Wallow View Post
Sometimes you see women with hair down to their knees. This is rather freakish like Cousin It. All you notice is the hair not the person.

On the other hand, why when women with beautiful long hair reach a certain age and they cut it off? I mean up around their ears. Nothing says old lady like doing that. Maybe they would look better soft and wavy with enough that they can pin it up.
I know, right? Buncha old ladies like:

Miley Cirus, Rihanna, Bey, Victoria Beckham, Jennifer Hudson, Kristen Stewart, Kelly Osbourne, Kelly Rowland, Jennifer Lawrence, Charlize Theron, Lupita Nyong'o, Jamie Pressly, Robin Wright, Julianne Hough, Kristin Chenoweth, Alicia Keys, Anne Hathaway...and that's just since 2013.

That's a stereotype. Short hair has been coming back loud the last couple of years.

"Pinning up" hair looks crappy, too unless you're a hairdresser. Is the point so that we can LUXURIOUSLY let it down for our partners' fantasy? LOLLLLLLL

And yeah, women go short as they get older first of all because it's MORE WORK, and also because after menopause your HAIR CHANGES. Straight hair gets wacky wavy or curly etc. Sometimes thinner. Hairlines recede. Grey hairs are dry and wiry and absorb coloring differently. Touch ups get more difficult. You end up looking like you have shoe polish on your head...yada yada. Then there's the famous chemo head. Hundreds of thousands of women are DX with breast cancer every year. Around 40K will die. AND a couple thousand men DX. That's all I 'll say about THAT.

So what's wrong with OWNING your OWN look?

Maybe women are just sick of wearing hair that appeals to MEN, too.

Men find long, wavy locks the sexiest hair do, while short hair leaves them cold, says poll | Daily Mail Online

Old 04-26-2015, 01:49 PM

491 posts, read 402,596 times
Mine is only mid-back, it's layered, not all one length, and I get compliments on it frequently. I won't ever cut it short, it's not culturally appropriate. Every woman in my family has long hair well into old age. Maybe this is true of other older women with long hair?

Old 04-26-2015, 01:53 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I think, in most all cases, it looks awful. Even if the hair itself is of a nice texture and color, it just does not flatter an older woman. Faces sag with age, though this isn't always noticeable just by looking at the face. But the longer hair makes it very noticeable, and makes the woman look older.

Lately, I've run into ladies who imagine themselves to "look younger" than their ages. They do look good - for thei ages. But they don't look 20 years old any longer. And for those with the attitude that, they don't care what anybody else thinks, it's their hair and they like it long, well...I don't know of too many women who truly don't care what others think. They do care, and quite often, they think that growing their hair out will make them look like they did when they were 20.

It won't.

I really don't care what anyone else thinks and I haven't cared what anyone else thinks since I was about 7 years old.
At the current age of 54 that is not going to change ever and all of the women I know really don't care what others think and we are grateful that we do not look like and do not want to look like we are 20 years old.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:57 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
No one over the age of about 19 should have hair down to their butt. For a simple reason: It almost never looks good. When it's that long, the woman invariably fails to keep it trimmed, and it always looks scraggly.

However, even a 50-year old, might be able to get away with shoulder-blade length hair.

Hahahahaha.....you made a funny.......not

Every woman over the age of 19 should have and will have their hair as long as THEY want it no matter what you or anyone else thinks about how they look.

I seriously doubt that every woman on the planet with long hair wakes up in the morning and says to herself in the mirror:

"I hope I impress Cida today and make them happy with my looks"

I know I don't.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:03 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,375 times
I just think it looks like a lot of extra weight to be carrying around. My neck already hurts when I wake up in the morning. I don't need that to add to it.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:19 PM

781 posts, read 736,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Nope, do not care what you or anyone else thinks about my hair!
You don't seem to understand. You don't have a choice about whether you do or not, you just do. The only choice you have is to know that you do or falsely believe that you don't.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Goethe

Old 04-26-2015, 02:57 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
What is the public perception of women in their 50s with hair down to their butt? It's not brittle grey crumply hair that's been coloured/permed for 30 years, it's naturally coloured hair that has never been permed or dyed.

When people take a long look, what are they thinking?

Down to her butt? No.

Long hair that is well kept is sexy and feminine. I really hate short stiff permed "doos" on an women

Old 04-26-2015, 03:12 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
My grandmother had the most gorgeous, thick, grey hair that swept the bottom of her butt when she woke up in the morning. She wore this beautiful hair in a braid wrapped on her head like a crown. Her style was beautiful.

I never saw her wear that amazing mane down outside of the house, however. I think that style would have looked silly on a woman her age and still do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty