Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:04 AM

13,383 posts, read 28,655,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Those are not culottes....
Not even close to being culottes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 11:56 AM

6,450 posts, read 7,758,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That's kind of what I saw. The guy/s (I think it was only 2 last year in the summer) were wearing those types of things but they were longer than that. Still, that's pretty much them - just less modern looking.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
So....capri pants on men is ridiculous....

https://www.google.com/search?q=mens...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg

But the men's "shorts" that go down to mid calf or right above the ankle are fine....
(modeled here by Kevin Smith.)

Kevin Smith Gets an Apology, But... | E! Online

Oooookay.
I rendered no opinion on "the men's "shorts" that go down to mid calf or right above the ankle".

Old 05-06-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What are culottes? Not sure what you're asking, OP.

Is this what it was? Heaven help us!

2XIST - Cargo Pocket Capri Pants - Saks.com
Yes, it was close to that but more feminine looking. They were a tiny but longer and a little tapered. They really looked a lot like the carpis women wear. I only saw two guy swear them last summer. One of them had two pieces of cloth string hanging from the edge of each leg.

Hey buddy, my wife called, she says you look great in her pants. They really accentuate your ankles and calves.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:00 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,668,422 times
Culottes (to me) are those ridiculous clown pants that some guys call "shorts"

Old 05-06-2015, 01:12 PM

102,119 posts, read 107,341,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Yes, it was close to that but more feminine looking. They were a tiny but longer and a little tapered. They really looked a lot like the carpis women wear. I only saw two guy swear them last summer. One of them had two pieces of cloth string hanging from the edge of each leg.

Hey buddy, my wife called, she says you look great in her pants. They really accentuate your ankles and calves.
OP, are you sure they weren't some kind of traditional dress? You say the guys may have been tourists. Is there an off chance they were wearing part of a folk costume for some event, or something? You know, there was a time in history when men did wear pants kind of like that, to deliberately show off a nice calf. It was a thing in Ben Franklin's time. He was quite the ladies' man, too.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:56 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,044,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
Lol I did the same. I haven't heard that word since 5th grade, used by my 60something teacher. I'm 40!
Same here! Rafael Nadal wears them! At least on the tennis court. Seem to give him trouble in the "seat" as he is always tugging on them.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, are you sure they weren't some kind of traditional dress? You say the guys may have been tourists. Is there an off chance they were wearing part of a folk costume for some event, or something? You know, there was a time in history when men did wear pants kind of like that, to deliberately show off a nice calf. It was a thing in Ben Franklin's time. He was quite the ladies' man, too.
Pretty sure. I'd bet on it. It was just a regular looking late 50's/early 60's looking guy. Average, everyday shirt, nothing unusual about any of it except that he was wearing women's looking capris. The capris themselves didn't look traditional or anything either - no special colors or anything (one of them were white and the others were a beige type color).

I don't know, I'm glad you guys haven't heard of this type of thing...makes me think it was just an anomaly. A strange and amusing one though.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Ever wonder how many humans already have their "make fun of" arsenal already built up just for you and your choice of clothing?
What? No. I don't wear capris so why would humans do that.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:36 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,809,836 times
I can't stop laughing at the idea of men in culottes. The ones posted by someone (female model) were what I'd refer to as gauchos. The culottes I remember (from the 80's) were always above the knee and of a more flimsy fabric. Imagining men in them is hilarious.

http://www.virtualvintageclothing.co...1390751626.jpg
http://scruffybadgertime.co.uk/wp-co...culottes-3.jpg
https://threedresses.files.wordpress...vogue-pose.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty