Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 05:43 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2523 View Post
I may be wrong but being tall I thought was a good thing. And adding heels would just make it even better. But I guess everyone knows what they like and what works and what does not work.
yes height is good until you find yourself hitting door frames and chandeliers with your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 05:58 AM

3 posts, read 1,781 times
[quote=JohnKevin;39532685]Personally I like like to wear high heels because i am not so tall as models. A woman who has learned how to wear heels definitely will have few problems while walking and dancing.Friends, you may also suggest your ideas here.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:46 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
You obviously have never watched a drag queen sing & dance. They can work a 5 or 6 inch heel like no woman except a stripper on a pole. Or so I've heard. Haha.
Don't think I haven't seen drag queens in heels. But they practice, do they not?

Old 05-08-2015, 06:49 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
"Don't step on a grate. Don't step on a grate. Don't step on a grate. Aw, damn, COBBLESTONES."
"Can't walk on the grass, oh!"

Old 05-08-2015, 08:16 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
Quote:
I may be wrong but being tall I thought was a good thing. And adding heels would just make it even better. But I guess everyone knows what they like and what works and what does not work.
If you are a little taller as everybody else, fine. But if you are a lot taller as everybody else and you feel like an idiot standing next to shorter people, especially if it is a few, having to bend over to listen to them, that is just not a good picture. Also, everything is made for shorter people. You have to bend over in the bathroom to look into the mirror, you have to bend more in the kitchen to do stuff on the countertops. You have issues getting in and out the car (my bf has to adjust the steering wheel every time he gets in and out the car), etc. etc.

I have two gfs who are both around 5ft tall. If we go out to a place like a bar, I don't even hear what they are talking about. I have to bend over to listen. Do you know how stupid that looks?

Too tall is not good.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:38 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I remember back in the 80's or 90's a commercial selling heels for the sporty girl. Does anyone else remember them? I think they were wearing them while playing basketball in the commercial. Those things were ugly!
Haha! Yes! the commercials sang "Looks like a pump, feels like a sneaker." But they were weird looking and the heels were not a pretty shape.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:43 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Maybe the women who feel uncomfortable in heels are talking about a very high heel 5 or 6 inches. Or like what some other person said. You have to wear the shoes a lot to get used to them.
I am wondering if you have an unusually keen interest in shoes and feet. Just a hunch. New poster, very specific subject. Oh...I don't know...

just an educated hunch..because this is turning a tad creepy.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:04 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
I got to thinking about this thread last night (after a couple of bourbon & waters) and thought about the factors that contribute to being able to wear heels comfortably and walk normally.

1. This just hit me last night: foot size! People on this thread have talking about tall and short women and different sized having trouble with high heels, but I submit that shoe size is also a big factor. For example, I can wear 3 inch heels and anything below 3 inches quite comfortably, with no pain and no trouble walking. However, anything over 3 inches hurts me and affects my gait. But I wear size 6 shoes. I just measured my foot and it's only 8 3/4 inches long from heel to the tip of my big toe, so let's round that off to 9 inches. Got back to your old Pythagorean theorem and picture the triangle, and I guess you could work out an equation. With 9-inch long feet, I can tolerate 3 inches of heel elevation. So maybe the "golden ratio" is that a foot should be able to comfortably tolerate heels that are 1/3 the length of the foot. This is all, of course, excluding any platforming or elevation of the rest of the sole. I know women shorter than me (I'm 5'5") who have larger feet, maybe like a size 8, and they can trot around on 4 inch heels, even without platforms. I guess I don't need to view that as superior to my skills, since my feet are maybe just not long enough to handle heels that are more than 1/3 the length of my foot. I guess those women with those big huge man-feet can probably wear extremely high heels.

So OP, if you are a man with, say, 12 inch long feet, you could probably learn to walk well on 4 inch heels.

2. Of course, structural or medical foot problems will be a factor for some people. This is probably why some more mature women say they can't wear the heels they used to wear when younger. Things link bunions, plantar fasciitis, swollen feet, edema, etc will cause a woman to not be able to tolerate heels, or she'll be one of those women who declare that high heels are just necessarily painful, when that's not the case.

3. Body weight. Obviously, overweight women will have more trouble with heels. I'm an average weight for my height, but I'm sure if I put on 30 lbs, I would not be as comfortable in heels. I notice that it's the very heavy women in the workplace who tend to take off their heels under their desks, complaining that their feet hurt.

4. Shoe quality and construction. I tend to buy shoes infrequently, but I only buy high quality shoes, even though that means spending more at the time. But if I buy classic styles that are not "trendy" my shoes last very long. I have a pair of tall high heeled boots from around 1995 and they still look fantastic, and I've only had to replace the tips of the heels a few times. When I've tried shoes in discount stores, a shoe with the exact same height that I always wear will suddenly feel uncomfortable. I would bet that 90% of women out there complaining that their heels are kills their feet are wearing cheap shoes.

Construction also matters. Is the instep properly supported? Does the part around the ball of the foot and toes fit properly? Is the leather firm enough while still having enough "give"? Personally, I find high heeled shoes that show "toe cleavage" uncomfortable. Apart from the fact that I find "toe cleavage" unattractive, my foot needs a little more leather in that spot, or my foot has to do too much work to grip the shoe to keep it on. To some women this is not a factor (aesthetically or comfort-wise). I also tend to not like wearing high heeled mules. Again, it's not the high heel, but the feeling like my foot is trying to grip the shoe to keep it on. It uses different muscles I guess. But turn that mule into a slingback, and I can easily trot up the stairs two at a time.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:50 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
You do not miss the height you would get from heels ?
I'm 5'5" so I'm not tall, but not that short either. I think if I was 5 foot I would miss it more.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:45 AM

17 posts, read 19,830 times
No, my arch is just higher, and needs more support. When I worked luxury car shows, they required me to wear high heels. Recently have been doing Intenational Boat Shows, which requires me to be barefoot on teak wood all day :'(.

To be comfortable, I prefer 4.5 inches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty