Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 05:13 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times

Advertisements

22 seems reasonable given how short she is - she's only 5'3. I have a similar body type in that I also tend to look MUCH bigger than I really am because my arms are disproportionately large (because they're so short, which the model looks like as well).

Plus size models are almost always pear types with slimmer upper bodies and a larger tush, hips, and thighs. When buying clothes, it would be helpful to see more apple shapes like the model here because clothes fit drastically different on us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 05:32 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
She's very pretty, and it's good to see an actual plus-sized woman modeling plus-sized clothing. Usually in most catalogs for larger women, the models are all a size 12 -- or, maybe on the upper end, a size 18 -- and are heavily corseted. When I was wearing plus-sized clothing, I wanted to see what I looked like in those clothes, not a size 12 woman.

Her tattoos turn me off, though, even though I realize that has nothing to do with the clothing. But ... Good for her. She's determined to succeed despite the fashion industry's ignoring this segment of fashion-buying women.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:45 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
Sorry but she is no better than anorexic models, both promote unhealthy standards. I am glad that she is comfortable in her own skin but obese/fat is not healthy and shouldn't be celebrated.
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS!!!! ^^^^^^^

I find her just as gross, disgusting and the epitome of trying to force unhealthy sickness off as being "beauty" as the waify anorexic looking models that were a thing of the past in Europe. Horrible.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:50 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
She is too large to me. Sorry, but being overweight to the extreme is not healthy. Her face and hair are lovely, but celebrating being obese is not good.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:07 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
She has a beautiful face. I don't like the tattoos. They are distracting and take away from the clothes. I don't find her confident. I find her delusional. She can only carry that weight because she is young. At 29 years old, she only has a few years left before her health is affected.

If the industry wants to showcase that weight, then show a woman who has earned it. I'd rather see a heavy woman who has had a couple of babies and her weight is the result of not having time for herself and a slower metabolism. Tess is young, and barring health reasons, has no reason to be this weight other than bad diet and lack of exercise,.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:15 PM

227 posts, read 195,206 times
I can't celebrate this.

While she is pretty and she carries her weight relatively well, she's much too big. 5'3'' and a size 22? No ma'am. And it's not about beauty standards, either, it's about what's healthy. And people deliberately try to mix those two up. I'm definitely not advocating calling her names. But she's going to have a host of weight related health issues in a few years, if she doesn't already. If she does want to have children, statistically, she'll have a hard time conceiving. Diabetes. High Blood pressure. Joint issues. Breathing problems. The list goes on.

What I'm seeing is retailers realizing that there is money to be made catering to heavier set women, so they hired her. Not because the fashion industry has suddenly become enlightened about varying body types. Not because they're trying to be all inclusive. They're seeing dollar signs. End of story.

I find it ironic that the article mentioned the fashion industry has refused to hire models below a certain BMI and has started to have healthy foods on set when shooting in an effort to promote healthier body image, all while gushing about how awesome it is to present an equally unhealthy image.

Nope.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:20 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Healthy or not, women are that size - and larger - and deserve to see clothing in their sizes modeled by women who wear those sizes.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:36 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Healthy or not, women are that size - and larger - and deserve to see clothing in their sizes modeled by women who wear those sizes.
True. I think we all probably have areas in our lives where we could use some improvement, whether it be related to diet/exercise (whether or not we are overweight), finances, addictions, whatever.

Does that mean that overweight/obese people should hate themselves every waking moment of the day? What about the woman who is overweight but has been working on weight loss for months? It isn't going to happen instantly, and she deserves to feel confident about herself in the meantime. What about the person who has a medical issue that causes weight gain? What about the person who is contemplating suicide because of their weight and the people who pick on them because of it? I think everyone deserves to be treated like a human being, flaws or not.

Plus, you don't want all of the fat people running around naked, do you? They have to buy clothes, too. It makes it easier for them to do when there are models out there who look like them and who are showing them what clothing looks like.

It's not about celebrating obesity, it's about celebrating a strong-minded, hard-working, successful and beautiful woman who also happens to be fat. Kinda like how someone can be all of the above but can still have a nasty smoking habit, for example.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:48 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
This bothers me because Tess is someone who should be in the prime of her life. If this is the best it gets, then wow. I don't think it would bother me as much to see these sizes modeled by someone who was older, had children and lost her firmness or someone with a medical condition. To me, accepting this as way of life is just giving up.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:49 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
She does have a kid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty