Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:08 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Lane Bryant has never used plus-sized models.
Um, yes, they have, for years. This is their latest theme: "I'm No Angel"

Lane Bryant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 11:14 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
She's not large enough for those kinds of problems. She can fit in the seat at the movie theater or the airplane seat. And I'm sure she can reach everywhere on her body to clean herself. Right now, I'm smaller than she is but at one point I was much larger. I'll tell you from personal experience that it was possible to do everything when I was about 300lbs...fit in chairs, run with my kids, go down the slide, jump rope, fit in the seats at the movie theater (even the small seats before they all started getting the oversize seats that recline), etc.

Hmmm. I am 5'7" and weigh 220 now, wear a 20W, but last year when I flew, I weighed about 240, and I was barely able to click my seatbelt. When we went to Disney World, I was not allowed to ride Harry Potter because the overhead safety device wouldn't click closed. The day I had a hard time wiping my ass because I couldn't bend over far enough (small restroom stall), I decided to start losing weight. So you must be very tall if you weighed that much and could sit in an airplane seat.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:42 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I'm sorry, how is that any better? People always complain about fat-shaming but seem to have no problem shaming those that are "too thin." I guess if people are thin it's okay to say things about their bodies.

I am almost 5'10" and the average weight range for someone my height varies a bit. When I was at the higher end of the normal BMI range, I was around a size 10. Now I'm at the lower end of the normal BMI range and I'm around a size 4. I like my body much more now than I did before but people seem to think it is okay to constantly tell me things like the following: "you look too thin" "you look disgusting now" "you need to gain weight" "stop losing weight" "you need to eat something and put on weight" "you have no butt" "your thighs look like twigs" "why are you so bony." ETC. So yeah, that's okay apparently, but the minute someone says anything about someone else who is overweight you are fat shaming, how dare you.

Very true.

I think having a wide variety of models is fine---why can't there be "hey we're average-sized" models? I can see the appeal of having an obese model to appeal to your buyers because let's face it---a huge portion of the population is obese. Doesn't mean they are celebrating obesity, and I don't think Tess is either, but she is acknowledging this is her body and she's okay with it.

It does make me sad, because being in health care, obesity (and the diabetes that often eventually accompanies it) is pretty prevalent in those coming into the ER and those that are eventually admitted. She's still young and pretty active---but I've watched my obese parents slowly become less active and now they can barely move.

I think people have a lot of trouble with the idea of celebrating body types that are yes, realistic, but in all honestly, not healthy.
The bmi chart is wrong, and outdated.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yeah, I question that myself. I wear a 20W, 220/5'7". She looks much larger than me.
Judging by that avatar under your name- you're a guy, a mens 20 is like a womans 6. Okay; I am a 36w, but in womens sizes, I wear a size 12, I know this because I wear capris/pedal pushers, a 22female is about a 38 or 40 in men.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:47 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
As a large woman myself, it's nice to see that not everyone jumps on the fat shaming bandwagon.
Good to hear - I wish more women looked like you. When I go out, I typically see more "skinny minnies" than bigger women....Not that there's anything wrong with thin women....whatever floats your boat....

Old 05-18-2015, 09:36 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Has anyone ever seen eastern European girls who pose nude? Those women are true athletes and work on heir bodies so they always have work. They have defined 6 packs - something we Americans fail at - and weigh in at 125 if near the 5'7" range. The shorter ones weigh less but are also athletic. Playboy playmates are girls next door for the most part.
Runway models tend to be a bit skinny for me though a lot of the VS models are fine - think of Tom Brady's wife. Some are sticks and that is as bad as the heffer with murals tatted on her. Whoever told her that was a good look is insane. Morbidly obese with yards of skin to ink.
I call coyote ugly.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Has anyone ever seen eastern European girls who pose nude? Those women are true athletes and work on heir bodies so they always have work. They have defined 6 packs - something we Americans fail at - and weigh in at 125 if near the 5'7" range. The shorter ones weigh less but are also athletic. Playboy playmates are girls next door for the most part.
Runway models tend to be a bit skinny for me though a lot of the VS models are fine - think of Tom Brady's wife. Some are sticks and that is as bad as the heffer with murals tatted on her. Whoever told her that was a good look is insane. Morbidly obese with yards of skin to ink.
I call coyote ugly.
I'm sure she told herself, because she doesn't care, and it really shouldn't matter.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:29 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
All these sizes confuse me, but I think the poster meant a size 20 in Womens, not a size 20 waist. A size 20 waist is a boy's size not a man's. Also, it should be about health. I know that excess weight is dangerous and leads to health problems. If being heavy did not lead to health problems, I don't think people would have a problem with it.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:27 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
People want women to be thin because it's a sign of obedience and compliance. When a confident fat woman displays herself, people lose their minds... because she's not being obedient or compliant. The people who comment with "health concerns" don't really care if Tess gets diabetes or has a heart attack. They care that she doesn't fit into society's standard of beauty and that's somehow offensive to them.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:40 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
People want women to be thin because it's a sign of obedience and compliance. When a confident fat woman displays herself, people lose their minds... because she's not being obedient or compliant. The people who comment with "health concerns" don't really care if Tess gets diabetes or has a heart attack. They care that she doesn't fit into society's standard of beauty and that's somehow offensive to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

A sign of "obedience and compliance"? LMAO. Where in the world did you dig up that crazy thought?

She comes across as being more of an exremely bad attitudish mean girl with a chip on her shoulder than a "confident fat woman". It kinda just boils down to people who like/support are 99 time out of 100 more likely to be EXACTLY like her in terms of size than anything else. I wonder how many of you who love her so much feel the same way about someone like Kim Kardashian who comes across as being much nicer sweeter than someone who a chip on her shoulder or bad attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty