Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 06:37 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times

Advertisements

For most people it's just another way of showing they have money to do those things. A few do it to be original, but for most it's just something to spend money on.

Why do people wear gold chains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 08:54 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
I don't really care about piercings, tattoos, etc. - it's just an individual expressing their style. It just bothers me when I think how uncomfortable it may be for the wearer when the piercings are in a place that is sensitive, like their nose or tongue.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:05 PM

174 posts, read 190,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Based on your posting history, perhaps a good therapist can make you understand that none of these things that you come here to complain about are worthy of your time or attention.
And yet, you bothered to come here and insult me...perhaps you should get some therapy yourself

And by the way, it doesn't irritate me or anything, I just think it's silly

Old 05-20-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
This explains it. To you, normality is rebellion. You're still rebelling, just as you were raised to do by your liberal anarchist background, but you're rebelling against rebellion!
Nah, I think my genuine take on the matter is that it's not worth the bother to draw added attention to myself. Not everyone has a penchant for rebellion. As I was saying before, in some areas dyed hair and piercings are so normal they can't even be considered cutting edge (such as Capitol Hill in Seattle where I can't walk along any block without seeing someone of this sort). Maybe back when punk rock was fresh on the scene, but these days it doesn't have much shock value. At least not on the West Coast.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Add me to the list of skeptics over that punk childhood of yours, but you did post this earlier in the year: "For the 18 years of my childhood I was beaten and had crazy, drugged-out parents and was in foster care".

Egads, I hope for your sake none of this is for real. If it is...I'm sorry, gal. You also said you're 23, so that's still pretty fresh. And yes, if that's all real, your misanthropic tendencies have everything to do with your trauma. Know that your childhood doesn't have to define you as a person, or define the direction of your life. Things get better with age.
Thank you, I will admit I became a lot more cynical and jaded as a result of the whole experience. In a lot of ways I became a meaner person, not that having negative experiences excuses this but if I hadn't been screwed over by people so many times I imagine I wouldn't have such harsh opinions of others. Been trying to soften up towards others over the past several years but it's still a work in process...

Old 05-21-2015, 04:49 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
You had a rough time of it, and for that I am sorry. As far as your OP, live and let live. If someone else wants to change their appearance, it is really up to them. The rest of us are just their audience.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:15 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I guess it makes the world a more interesting place. Makes for good people watching.

.... and long unemployment lines.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:57 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
To the OP, sorry that you were forced into looking a certain way when you were younger.

To emphasize what I wrote in my last post, this whole discussion about tats/piercings/counter-culture, etc. reminds me of a great interview with Larry D. (co-creator of Seinfeld & creator/star of Curb your Enthusiasm) I read back in the 200X's. He was talking about the "hippie" movement back in the late '60's & '70's, and his reaction to it. He mentioned that he was never involved in this, and one of the reasons was that he felt that the whole "movement" was very conformist, in that everyone was dressed the same, looked the same, etc.

I feel the same way about the tats/piercings/dyed hair that I see on a regular basis these days. People are doing it to presumably be "edgy" or "unique", but since so many people are doing this it has lost any kind of edginess or uniqueness that it once had.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 05-21-2015 at 07:51 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 07:19 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
^^^ +1

Old 05-21-2015, 08:21 AM

9 posts, read 6,758 times
It is peculiar that you do not like this kind of look even if you grew up with punk parents. Probably, it is exactly the reason why you refuse it. Usually kids grow up with pretty "normal" looking parents and, when they go through pubescence, they feel the need to rebel against their parents. So some and get all kinds of things done to themselves, like piercings, tatoos, etc. You, on the other side, thought this style was "normal" so refusing it is your way of rebelling against authoritty. This is, of course, only my point of view, I could be completely wrong..

I personally like people who look a bit different, but I've nevere had a piercing or tatoo done, it is something I don't consider "mine"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty