Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 12:31 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
People do as people wish. Much of it is a cry for attention, or help.

Go ahead, get the tats, or purple hair, or rings in your nose. You stand out like a couple of standard deviations, which is the objective, no?

Just don't be surprised when you end up packing fries or operating a leaf blower part time.

Whether it is fair or not, people judge the book by its cover.
110% true!

I don't care if the guy working at Starbucks serving me coffee is covered in tats and has those big weird earlob things, but I don't want him doing my taxes or fighting my lawsuit.

How we present ourselves physically says a lot about a person mentally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 01:02 PM

555 posts, read 892,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
When and where didn't "nice girls" have plain piercings...my great grandmother had pierced ears.
The moral standing of pierced ears has changed over time. When I was a child in the sixties, only "hippies" and "bad girls" pierced their ears. By the time I graduated from high school in 1974, pierced ears were no big deal.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:12 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minougirl View Post
What's the point of going through the trouble to dye your hair, get a bunch of facial piercings, tattoos, etc.? I don't understand why people feel motivated enough to do so. It seems like a desperate cry for attention. People can do what they want. Some people say it's a way of "expressing themselves", but all this really expresses in my opinion is "I went through this trouble to look odd...so look at me!" And in some neighbourhoods, this is so common that it can't be attributed to a desire to be unique. What's so great about looking unique anyway?

Mind you, I come from a punk rock family, who shaved my head and forced me to go to school with a mohawk and full "hardcore regalia" for years. My dad pierced my septum when I was 6 as well. I come from a liberal, anarchist background. So it would seem that I would identify with the "alternative appearance" crowd more but I just don't get it. Can anyone help me understand?
I have to assume you're talking about coloring your hair in crazy colors, because I for one have been dying my hair dark since I was 17. Early white hair runs in my family, and I am not a fan because my skin color doesn't work with light hair colors. It is simply a matter of contrast. I am too white for blond/white hair.

As far as ear piercings, I have 8, 5 and 3, and I enjoy wearing really nice elegant hoop earrings, nothing disgusting. I agree that those who put those HUGE holes in their lobes are absolutely disgusting, but I would never do that to myself.

I feel bad for you that your nose got pierced so early, there is no excuse to do that to a child. Or a way to make you understand that other than your parents are nuts. No offense. Try not to do the same to your kids. There is really no rime or reason other than sowing off, except that you're showing off nothing of real value. Show off helping someone in need, show empathy towards others, are things of value, piercings, pink hair, and tattoos aren't no matter how hard some try to justify them.

You are already UNIQUE, as no two people are the same, even identical twins, because even those have different personalities. It boils down to parental attention; those who haven't received enough will rebel into doing things for shock value hoping they will garner attention, and unfortunately they only manage to garner unflattering looks.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:39 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
Quote:
No dumb person, I made this thread in an attempt to understand others more. Everyone must have a reason to do the things they do. So far, not much of an answer, just insults
No, everyone does not have to have a reason and even if they do it's none of your business. Granted if someone nicely asks about my tattoos I'll tell them. But if someone comes at asking to defend why I've made the choices with my body that I've made, you'll get a big **** off.

I seriously wish I had so little going on in my life that I had time to worry and care about the appearance of strangers.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:48 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Actually, it doesn't make you look "different" if everyone's doing it. It's like all these parents trying to give their kids "unique" names. If everybody does it, then "Mary" and "John" will be the most unusual names out there. Such self-mutilation used to be considered a sign of sociopathy, and I personally still consider it that. Plus, it's ugly. But just my opinion!

Old 05-21-2015, 03:30 PM

195 posts, read 231,558 times
I am glad that tattoos where not common when I was in my 20s. My immature self when I was young would have gotten tons of tattoos and each one would remind me of some thing unique about myself or a story. At the time I would have loved having those tattoos and would have compared them with my hippie friends,

Now that I am nearly 60 years old, I can laugh about who I was in my twenties and am glad I have no permanent colors on my skin (tattoos) from that era. What is cool and personal and artistic in your 20s is really sad in your fifties.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:43 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
I'm even sorry I double-pierced my earlobes back in the 80s... Those things never grow in!

Old 05-21-2015, 03:59 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,195 times
Quote:
What's the point of going through the trouble to dye your hair, get a bunch of facial piercings, tattoos, etc.? I don't understand why people feel motivated enough to do so. It seems like a desperate cry for attention. People can do what they want. Some people say it's a way of "expressing themselves", but all this really expresses in my opinion is "I went through this trouble to look odd...so look at me!" And in some neighbourhoods, this is so common that it can't be attributed to a desire to be unique. What's so great about looking unique anyway?

Mind you, I come from a punk rock family, who shaved my head and forced me to go to school with a mohawk and full "hardcore regalia" for years. My dad pierced my septum when I was 6 as well. I come from a liberal, anarchist background. So it would seem that I would identify with the "alternative appearance" crowd more but I just don't get it. Can anyone help me understand?

I don't know why it would bother you at all. Do you mean you don't like people to color hair at all or just unusual colors????

Old 05-21-2015, 04:57 PM

275 posts, read 332,263 times
I've gotten highlights on my hair. Didn't do it to "express" myself, just thought it would look nice.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:07 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
I don't get them either

You guys have some dumb responses so far
I'm not sure I would expect more on the original post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty