Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:39 PM

174 posts, read 190,200 times

Advertisements

What's the point of going through the trouble to dye your hair, get a bunch of facial piercings, tattoos, etc.? I don't understand why people feel motivated enough to do so. It seems like a desperate cry for attention. People can do what they want. Some people say it's a way of "expressing themselves", but all this really expresses in my opinion is "I went through this trouble to look odd...so look at me!" And in some neighbourhoods, this is so common that it can't be attributed to a desire to be unique. What's so great about looking unique anyway?

Mind you, I come from a punk rock family, who shaved my head and forced me to go to school with a mohawk and full "hardcore regalia" for years. My dad pierced my septum when I was 6 as well. I come from a liberal, anarchist background. So it would seem that I would identify with the "alternative appearance" crowd more but I just don't get it. Can anyone help me understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 07:47 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
But, why not look unique, right? Nothing wrong with that.

And in this day and age...people think tats and piercings
are beautiful or cool, artistic, daring...
blue streaks in part of the hair is cute, to me.

A beard is dumb to some people, being clean shaven is dumb to someone else.
See...opinions are endless.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:56 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minougirl View Post
What's the point of going through the trouble to dye your hair, get a bunch of facial piercings, tattoos, etc.? I don't understand why people feel motivated enough to do so. It seems like a desperate cry for attention. People can do what they want. Some people say it's a way of "expressing themselves", but all this really expresses in my opinion is "I went through this trouble to look odd...so look at me!" And in some neighbourhoods, this is so common that it can't be attributed to a desire to be unique.
But each tattoo does tend to be unique and personal to the individual, thus it is a good way of expressing one's self and being unique. Piercings too - the studs or rings, much like charm bracelets, can be very personal.

Quote:
What's so great about looking unique anyway?
Looking unique makes people feel unique and feeling unique makes them feel special. Can you really say you like feeling unremarkable and overlooked? Granted, there are arguably other ways to make your mark on the world, but whose to say which is the right or wrong way to go about it?

I won't deny some people do it for attention but not everyone does. I have a tattoo in a place that is covered at all times by clothing, even a bathing suit, so the only people who have seen it are a select few. I didn't get it to show it off.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:02 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,313 times
Personally I give more respect to people who look pretty average or normal. Normal clothes, normal hair styles and whatnot.

But I can relate.. I have a punk rock background also. I never got tattoos or piercings besides my ears. Went through a semi-goth phase during my teenage years and quickly outgrew it.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:16 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
When I was a teenager, I wanted to get my ears pierced (one hole in each ear) because clip-on earrings hurt.

Those were the days when "nice" girls didn't get their ears pierced or tattoos.

I did overcome popular opinion because I loved wearing earrings! And I wore the type where it wasn't obvious that my ears were pierced. My parents didn't know about that until many years later, when I was in my 30s.

Tattoos? Not for me. I still don't want one, but for some friends, they have been a symbol of having overcome cancer or something awful. One cancer survivor has a small butterfly on her shoulder. It symbolizes her freedom from the disease.

I don't like the multiple piercings, plus it can hold people back when trying to get conservative jobs.

Hair dye . . . if a normal color is being used to cover gray, fine. If a young gal wants some natural-looking highlights, fine. Neon-colored hair is out, except on game day or Halloween. Wigs are better.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:49 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
What's the point of going through the trouble to dye your hair, get a bunch of facial piercings, tattoos, etc.? I don't understand why people feel motivated enough to do so. It seems like a desperate cry for attention. People can do what they want. Some people say it's a way of "expressing themselves", but all this really expresses in my opinion is "I went through this trouble to look odd...so look at me!" And in some neighbourhoods, this is so common that it can't be attributed to a desire to be unique. What's so great about looking unique anyway?

Mind you, I come from a punk rock family, who shaved my head and forced me to go to school with a mohawk and full "hardcore regalia" for years. My dad pierced my septum when I was 6 as well. I come from a liberal, anarchist background. So it would seem that I would identify with the "alternative appearance" crowd more but I just don't get it. Can anyone help me understand?
Not sure if to believe you or not. I am sorry if your parents forced you to do anything against your will. ...they shouldn't have,,but many parents do assume...for right or wtong...that their kids will follow I the views.

However while now you can hold any views you want....no one cares if you are annoyed at someone with blue hair..it's your issue...go to therapy and deal with it.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:51 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
When I was a teenager, I wanted to get my ears pierced (one hole in each ear) because clip-on earrings hurt.

Those were the days when "nice" girls didn't get their ears pierced or tattoos.

I did overcome popular opinion because I loved wearing earrings! And I wore the type where it wasn't obvious that my ears were pierced. My parents didn't know about that until many years later, when I was in my 30s.

Tattoos? Not for me. I still don't want one, but for some friends, they have been a symbol of having overcome cancer or something awful. One cancer survivor has a small butterfly on her shoulder. It symbolizes her freedom from the disease.

I don't like the multiple piercings, plus it can hold people back when trying to get conservative jobs.

Hair dye . . . if a normal color is being used to cover gray, fine. If a young gal wants some natural-looking highlights, fine. Neon-colored hair is out, except on game day or Halloween. Wigs are better.
When and where didn't "nice girls" have plain piercings...my great grandmother had pierced ears.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:27 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:

Only your family has the right to express individuality... is that it? Or is this attempting to resolve deeper issues of your parents choices?

Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:

What you find annoying only applies to you and no one else.
People should also be free to do as they want to their own bodies without being judged by others for their choices.
You are presenting the same thing you state you dislike posting on this forum and starting a thread.

It is saying "I went through this trouble to start a thread and post my annoyance of something...so look at me!"

Old 05-20-2015, 01:00 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
What's the point of going through the trouble to dye your hair, get a bunch of facial piercings, tattoos, etc.?
I guess it makes the world a more interesting place. Makes for good people watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty