Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:05 AM

10,102 posts, read 19,300,689 times

Advertisements

ok, I've never heard of the Kipling brand before, but I bought one yesterday at Macy's.

Its a cute, med/small purse, made of some sort of nylon, crossbody. mine is a multi-color print. It was marked down from $89 to $34, with coupon, etc. Then, when I got it home, I noticed the little key fob, a little monkey. I looked up the brand, and it seems they all come with a little monkey or other animal as the key fob, and you can buy the animals separate, sort of a "collect all 2394 Monkeys" club. Their ads also show middle school age girls carrying them.

Look, I'm 60 years old. Is this not the bag for me? I like the purse well enough, like I said, its a nice, light weight crossbody in a multicolor print. I could just take the monkey off, but it has a big stamp on the front "Kipling". Would I be making a fool of myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 03:00 AM

You know what? The more I look at it the more juvenile it becomes. Goes back to store!

Old 05-25-2015, 06:16 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
You know what? The more I look at it the more juvenile it becomes. Goes back to store!
Yes, I am laughing out loud...that was quick.

While I don't know which purse you actually selected, maybe this will help you!

Old 05-25-2015, 09:23 AM

301 posts, read 816,828 times
Oh, Dear!! I have a large collection of Kipling Alvar bags in all colors and prints. Bought my first one @ Macys and several on ebay. I love them - and I'm 60+! Now, the first thing I did was to remove the monkey key chain. Don't know why I'm saving them in a bag in the back of a drawer, but I am lol! What I love about the bags are they are light-weight, not so large that I'm tempted to stuff them, and I can wear them cross-body if I need a hands-free moment, which is important to me as I get older. I can also cinch up the strap and use them as a clutch. My style is definitely not juvenile, cutesy, country, or teenybopper by any stretch of the imagination - but these bags work for me.

However, if you don't like it then take it back! You'll never use it and it will be money wasted. We all have some of "those" items, I'm sure - lol!

Old 05-25-2015, 09:26 AM

btw - Kipling makes some pretty sophisticated handbags that are chic/uptown, so the round Kipling logo on the front of the bag is not a teenybopper marker to my knowledge or experience.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
Oh, Dear!! I have a large collection of Kipling Alvar bags in all colors and prints. Bought my first one @ Macys and several on ebay. I love them - and I'm 60+! Now, the first thing I did was to remove the monkey key chain. Don't know why I'm saving them in a bag in the back of a drawer, but I am lol! What I love about the bags are they are light-weight, not so large that I'm tempted to stuff them, and I can wear them cross-body if I need a hands-free moment, which is important to me as I get older. I can also cinch up the strap and use them as a clutch. My style is definitely not juvenile, cutesy, country, or teenybopper by any stretch of the imagination - but these bags work for me.

However, if you don't like it then take it back! You'll never use it and it will be money wasted. We all have some of "those" items, I'm sure - lol!

I think my bag is a Cassie.

snooty, maybe you could try selling the monkeys on Ebay?

Old 05-25-2015, 03:27 PM

I don't think I'm quite ready yet to carry around a little monkey. Reminds me of the Cabbage Patch craze. Grown women would tote those dolls to restaurants, put them in high chairs, dress them up.....sad!

Old 05-25-2015, 06:29 PM

MaryleeII,
Have you seen what some of those monkey go for on eBay!?! It's crazy! Great idea!!

Old 05-25-2015, 07:33 PM

Ok,

here's a picture

Is this ok for a 60+ lady to carry? Maybe get rid of the monkey. I saw the same one on Ebay for $14, might as well get something for it!

Old 05-25-2015, 08:13 PM

19,212 posts, read 15,079,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
btw - Kipling makes some pretty sophisticated handbags that are chic/uptown, so the round Kipling logo on the front of the bag is not a teenybopper marker to my knowledge or experience.
I agree. I bought one for my SIL for Christmas. She's not really into purses and usually just carries a wallet or small bag for the bare essentials. I thought they looked pretty nice and I wanted one for myself, especially with all the colors they came in.

Quote:
I don't think I'm quite ready yet to carry around a little monkey. Reminds me of the Cabbage Patch craze. Grown women would tote those dolls to restaurants, put them in high chairs, dress them up.....sad!
Seriously? I remember the Cabbage Patches, but I didn't realize women did that. Omg, lol.

Quote:
Ok,

here's a picture

Is this ok for a 60+ lady to carry? Maybe get rid of the monkey. I saw the same one on Ebay for $14, might as well get something for it!
I don't really care if it comes with a monkey, lol. But if I saw a woman whom I thought was 60+ carrying a bag like that, it would make me smile. I would think she was probably someone who would be fun to be around. Who cares? I always go by the ol' deathbed-scenario way of looking at it, lol. While on your deathbed, looking back on your life, would it make you happier knowing that you used the bag, it made you happy, no matter what anyone else thought of it, or would it make you happier knowing that, well, Other people might have looked down on me, so I'm glad I suppressed my own desires for someone else's? Kinda deep for talking about just a bag, but still... Enjoy it! I hate rules like these; you're not hurting anyone...

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 05-25-2015 at 09:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty