Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 09:31 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

I don't think I could ever buy a bag online. I really can't buy any attire online, in general. I really HAVE to see how something feels and looks in person, and I don't have the patience to be sending things back. There are products I'll buy online, but clothes and accessories aren't among them, unless I'm replacing something I've already owned with something identical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 11:30 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I'm fine buying online because I usually stick to things I'm either familiar with or there is something SPECIFIC I want that the bag has.

My mistakes have all come down to not paying attention to details. Since you aren't physically holding it you have to pay close attention to the dimensions and strap length. Look at the photos and you can tell if a leather bag is thick and hard or soft and pliable. If you must have a zip or snap make sure it's where you want it to be. I've regretted two purchases because the small, elegant bag with handles ended up looking like a child's purse when I was holding it, and the pretty red bag with the buckle seriously COULD have been a bowling ball bag and didn't look right with anything.

My wins are usually midline Coach and such. Although even those can sometimes not hold up as well as you'd think with daily use, especially styles with piping an the bottom where you set it down.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:53 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Here are the lessons I have learned:

1. Lining color: I like brights, but a dark one is fine too! My purse accessories are colorful (wallet is pink, card case is bright blue, keyring is green/blue, cosmetic case is pink...) I can always find stuff!

2. Get a sturdy lining that is hopefully easy to clean. One of my Coach bags got attacked by a lipstick. The lining is light pink and the lipstick is fuchsia. Could not figure out how to get those spots out.

3. Figure out what is needed in your handbag wardrobe and stick to that. I am cleaning out my bags to simplify. Relalized there were too many unnecessary bags.

4. Don't settle: I bought the wrong black bag almost every year for the past 10. I finally said screw it and splurged on a nicer one (which is what I really wanted). I love the new bag! Works with most every occasion. I used it daily for 3 months, and just started rotating in a "summer bag." It will be in permanent rotation in the fall again. But sometimes I like a lighter bag for summer.

5. Get something practical for your lifestyle. I love handheld bags, but they suck on days where I am walking far, taking transit and I need to be hands free. So they aren't very practical, even when they are pretty.

6. Get wide enough straps! Shoulder straps are tricky, so find one that works for you!

I also hate lots of pockets! I just want a few key ones.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:14 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Here are the lessons I have learned:

1. Lining color: I like brights, but a dark one is fine too! My purse accessories are colorful (wallet is pink, card case is bright blue, keyring is green/blue, cosmetic case is pink...) I can always find stuff!

2. Get a sturdy lining that is hopefully easy to clean. One of my Coach bags got attacked by a lipstick. The lining is light pink and the lipstick is fuchsia. Could not figure out how to get those spots out.

3. Figure out what is needed in your handbag wardrobe and stick to that. I am cleaning out my bags to simplify. Relalized there were too many unnecessary bags.

4. Don't settle: I bought the wrong black bag almost every year for the past 10. I finally said screw it and splurged on a nicer one (which is what I really wanted). I love the new bag! Works with most every occasion. I used it daily for 3 months, and just started rotating in a "summer bag." It will be in permanent rotation in the fall again. But sometimes I like a lighter bag for summer.

5. Get something practical for your lifestyle. I love handheld bags, but they suck on days where I am walking far, taking transit and I need to be hands free. So they aren't very practical, even when they are pretty.

6. Get wide enough straps! Shoulder straps are tricky, so find one that works for you!

I also hate lots of pockets! I just want a few key ones.

I love the style of handheld bags, too - they are usually very nicely designed and looks great. The only things wrong with those type bags in addition to exactly what you wrote, is that there is a tendency to put the bag down somewhere because you can't wear it on your body like a crossover. You have to hold the clutches in your hand and when you need to free your hands? You put the purse down, which isn't too safe to do in most public places.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:18 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The best quality bag line that is inexpensive is Hobo International. They are made extremely well with great quality leathers.
Hobo International handbags are really great! The colors and the type leather are always standout. Not fussy in design, but pure elegance in their simplicity. No studs, fringe, etc. There was a time a few years ago that the purse styles all had silver studs, some even sticking out like weapons; in fact, the women looked like they were going to war carrying those bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty