Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 09:25 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times

Advertisements

I love palazzo pants and am glad they're back. I hope to buy some this season.

I'd love to see pants with higher wastes return, and I imagine it's slowly getting there. Pants that button barely above the crotch line are getting less common all the time.

Dashiki-style tops. I have actually started wearing these. Roomy, comfy, and I love the wild prints and colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 10:17 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I hate bell bottoms, but it may because of all of the time I had to spend trying to extricate said bell bottoms from my bicycle chain. It was worse when I couldn't get loose and had to walk home dragging my bike still stuck to the leg of my pants. Ugh.
I didn't like them either for the same reason.

I'm not a fan of maxi dresses. The women I see currently wearing them do not look graceful walking around in them. They look sloppy which may be a result of our generational weight problems or the number of people who wear the strapless ones with inadequate bra support.

I'd like to see some fashion come back that leaves more to the imagination. It's possible to look nice and attractive without showing it all off.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:28 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,285 times
Recently every time I turn on one of the shopping shows they're showing jumpsuits.

Even though maxi dresses are popular I still like jumpsuits better. Sometimes maxi dresses can make a woman look heavier than she really is, but then jumpsuits aren't for everyone either.

I think it was on HSN they had a cute jumpsuit by Curations - the colors were Royal Blue, Bright Orange, Black and several prints. What I liked about it was it could be worn different ways - up on the shoulders, off the shoulders, one shoulder or strapless.

Recently I bought a cute blue/white strapless jumpsuit, I like the full leg, it's really comfortable and great to wear poolside.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:10 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
I am so tired of maxi length dresses and skirts. I love the looks of them, but I tend to step on the hems when I'm climbing stairs, or they get caught in my chairs at work. I'm actually looking for a black skirt that falls right below my knees.

Which is proving to be a big problem, by the way. NO PLACE around here sells simple skirts! Very strange, and I spoke to someone the other day who was having the same challenge.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:14 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
I miss my old bell bottoms I could find at Contempo Casuals.

The waist line was high enough where my panties aren't showing like low-risers these days, and the flares would flare out so wide it covered my platforms very nicely, and hugged my hips very well.

Nowadays, bell bottoms I can find are boot cut that aren't merely flares, and are so low I can barely walk in them without cracking a wedgy or unconsciously mooning my audience without knowing (or having the camel toe effect).
Bellbottoms are coming back. Several European designers are doing them. Not just bootcut, but slightly wider bells. They look really attractive on certain figure types. If you're one of those, you shouldn't stop wearing them, whether they're in style or not.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:17 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
Recently every time I turn on one of the shopping shows they're showing jumpsuits.

Even though maxi dresses are popular I still like jumpsuits better. Sometimes maxi dresses can make a woman look heavier than she really is, but then jumpsuits aren't for everyone either.

I think it was on HSN they had a cute jumpsuit by Curations - the colors were Royal Blue, Bright Orange, Black and several prints. What I liked about it was it could be worn different ways - up on the shoulders, off the shoulders, one shoulder or strapless.

Recently I bought a cute blue/white strapless jumpsuit, I like the full leg, it's really comfortable and great to wear poolside.
Jumpsuits are only for certain figure types, but that's true of most things. Women who are pear- or apple-shaped look ridiculous in them. Some women with big rears feel too self-conscious in them, though a huge bootay seems to be in style in certain circles these days.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:21 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
my crystal ball totally failed me on the palazzo pants thing, i had a nice pair I got from a consignment store some time ago that I loved. They went as part of my wardrobe purge late last year :\

I like the look of catsuits but you have to have the right figure to wear them. On those err ... heavier ladies they can look like a sack of potatoes. I have a problem wearing them as I have a long body and shorter legs so the body part is too tight and the legs drag on the ground.

I've got a couple of pairs of bootcut Lucky brand jeans that are a dream, not quite a bell bottom but still much more comfortable than the skinny leg jean fad.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:46 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
my crystal ball totally failed me on the palazzo pants thing, i had a nice pair I got from a consignment store some time ago that I loved. They went as part of my wardrobe purge late last year :\

I like the look of catsuits but you have to have the right figure to wear them. On those err ... heavier ladies they can look like a sack of potatoes. I have a problem wearing them as I have a long body and shorter legs so the body part is too tight and the legs drag on the ground.

I've got a couple of pairs of bootcut Lucky brand jeans that are a dream, not quite a bell bottom but still much more comfortable than the skinny leg jean fad.

I love Lucky Brand jeans! And I have a short torso and long legs. And they look great on me. The same style, I think.

In terms of Palazzo pants or genie pants (the ones with elastic on the bottom that billow out) I didn't like them the first time, so I'm not going to be wearing them this time. They aren't flattering on me.

I think that taller and generally larger people are attracted to this look.

It's a very dramatic look, that suits some woman, but not others. I like more neat, tailored styles. Less trendy and more preppy.

I'm not crazy about the maxi-dress either. Or the midi dress. Yuk! Anyone remember that one?

I'm probably one of the only ones.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Maxi dresses have been standard here for about a half-dozen years. I have one that I bought in 2009 when they first started making a reappearance, and still wear it often.

I pretty much live in them. I'm tall (5'10"), and they work out well with my height. They also work really well in maternity, which is my situation this summer.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:45 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
I like the maxi dresses from the 90's (they weren't as long and made of rayon). Kind of what Elaine wore but had short sleeves. IMO they were casual, comfortable and cute. Can't find any.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2046272...ing?ref=market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty