Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:46 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I shave everything except for my arms. Do people actually shave their arms? I've never heard of that.
I briefly has an Indian roommate who wanted me to help her wax her arms. I tried once but couldn't do it.

I always thought she made more of a deal out of the hair than necessary. She had dark hair on her arms, but it wasn't thick or off-putting. She just didn't like it.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:28 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times
I am 68 and have been on the "everything below the scalp must go" list since I was a teen.

Trouble is, there have been some new additions to that list that are really annoying: nose hairs, grandma's chin hair

Old 06-02-2015, 11:29 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I shave pits and legs. My choice -- hubs doesn't care. Pits are nothing to shave -- swipe swipe in the shower. Leg hair is nearly invisible, so I don't have to shave... but shaved legs feel luscious. It ramps up the sensory experience of touch.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:40 AM

672 posts, read 811,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I am 68 and have been on the "everything below the scalp must go" list since I was a teen.

Trouble is, there have been some new additions to that list that are really annoying: nose hairs, grandma's chin hair
Then you are well ahead of the curve. Not many women were removing very much in the "southern regions" until the 90's.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:05 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I am in my 60s now - originally a brunette (still am with help of color, lol!) All my body hair has gotten lighter and finer over time. Arm hair is barely visible, legs only need once or twice a week shave. As far as "nether regions" I don't shave - I prefer to neatly trim. I like my hair there, to me it's sexy! I feel the same for men, too.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:28 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I should have never shaved my legs as my hairs on them are blonde. I only shave to knee and below. The rest is blonde.

As far as my punani I am always bald or sometimes I switch it up and leave a strip. I personally think it's more hygienic and I've never had anyone request furry. I really couldn't get furry because I'm not too furry in the first place. TMI, lol

Old 06-02-2015, 12:35 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
My gf shaves but the hair is so fine I don't even notice when she doesn't shave.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:10 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,195 times
This topic has been gone over so many times. Seriously to each his own......I have my own personal tastes, but, others have there own and that is just fine.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
If you want my tongue on you, youd better be shaved lol. .
I'd recommend that you adhere to the same grooming standards if this is an expectation of yours, naturally.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I just asked my daughter if she knew anyone who shaved their arms, and she said only one person and that the girl regretted it after a while because her hair did come back in thicker.

My best friend in high school shaved the the light hair that grew underneath her navel because she thought it was abnormal. The hair grew back in thicker and black. There wasn't more hair, just each individual hair was thicker and much darker. My sister did the same thing, and she now plucks out those hairs.
Both of these instances sound more indicative of endocrine issues than a typical biological occurrence. Hair doesn't actually grow back thicker when it's cut or shaved...in order for hair to grow back thicker, one would need an increase in the number of hair-producing follicles, which isn't going to be caused by application of a razor at skin level. Textural changes can occur with regrowth after hair loss due to chemotherapy, but that has to do with actual alterations to one's cells...a razor alone lopping off hair at the skin level can't create such alterations.

"Shaving makes the hair grow back thicker/darker" has long been recognized as in the realm of "Old Wives' Tales." Shaving DOES create a blunt tip to each hair that is cut, unlike the tapered, pointed end of new growth, such as would grow back if the hair were pulled out at the root. This may be responsible for the way it is perceived, but the hair itself; color, diameter, texture, etc. is unchanged simply by being cut.

Atypical hair growth can absolutely occur in people with endocrine system abnormalities, though, such as the onset of hirsutism in women with PCOS, etc. Such things are more likely to be at the root of sudden changes in body hair. Just cutting or shaving it wouldn't be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty