Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:19 PM

55 posts, read 34,839 times

Advertisements

Some people tell me that a person should dress how ever they want while others say you have to dress according to your age. I'm 23 but some people tell me that I dress like a teen. I wear shirts and jackets of my favorite hockey team, solid colored t shirts and long sleeved shirts, shinny jeans and sneakers. I guess I'm not good with putting clothes together. It's usually hard for me to find clothes that fit because I'm tall and thin. Jeans that fit my waist come up as high waters and ones that fit my legs are baggy around my waist. What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 09:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Are you comfortable in what you wear, or do you feel self-conscious in your chosen attire?

Old 06-05-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Are you comfortable in what you wear, or do you feel self-conscious in your chosen attire?
I'm comfortable in my clothes but sometimes I feel jealous of other girls that are my age. They look pretty in their clothes and I'd like to feel more confident. I know I should work on my attitude but sometimes I wanna dress differently.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:44 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,602,631 times
Go to Old Navy and try on different cuts of jeans. Try curvy cuts -- they tend to be cut fuller through the hips/thighs and smaller in the waist. See if that works better for your shape.

Try sheer long sleeved shirts in a print to go over the tees (and get fitted tees), and get a pair of ballet flats to change out from the sneakers from time to time.

This will update and feminize your look a bit without pushing you so far outside your comfort zone that you feel like it's a costume.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:08 PM

25 posts, read 23,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJA1991 View Post
Some people tell me that a person should dress how ever they want while others say you have to dress according to your age. I'm 23 but some people tell me that I dress like a teen. I wear shirts and jackets of my favorite hockey team, solid colored t shirts and long sleeved shirts, shinny jeans and sneakers. I guess I'm not good with putting clothes together. It's usually hard for me to find clothes that fit because I'm tall and thin. Jeans that fit my waist come up as high waters and ones that fit my legs are baggy around my waist. What can I do?
Dress how you feel and screw everyone else. The only time you have to really worry about dress code is at work unless your job has none.
As far as finding the right jeans for your body you may want to consider GAP. They make jeans to fit just about every shape and size. My friend is 5'11 and GAP is good for her. She's tall and skinny. Then I'm shorter and more curvy with a small waist and they have fits for me too.

^^GAP/OLD NAVY/BANANA REPUBLIC are all the same company. You can find help with jeans at OLD NAVY or GAP.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:36 AM

84 posts, read 100,833 times
You're obviously feeling self conscious and unhappy enough about this to start a thread, so I say it's time to evolve.

There are thousands of fashion blogs out there that'll help you find your "grown up" style... or you can always hit up a department store and use their free stylist services (all the major ones provide them, Nordstrom's is the best known for this). You can then buy just a piece or two (depending on your budget), but learn a whole lot about what fits your body and how to combine things in the process.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:40 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
Get a girlfriend to go shopping with you...someone who's "style" you like.

As far as jeans, you have to TRY THEM ON....LOTS OF THEM!!! Jeans come in all kinds of cuts....they come in long lengths for tall girls....curvy for curvy gals, and skinny, for you thinner chicks!!! Different waist heights...different weight denim,...

It could take hours to find the perfect jean!! Don't give up, tho, because it's worth it!

Alternatively, you are a young adult, and what about skirts or dresses? A sundress is so much easier than jeans...slip it on...you're done! You can wear a lightweight tennis shoe (not a running shoe!!!) with some sundresses, or sandals!

Old 06-08-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Get a girlfriend to go shopping with you...someone who's "style" you like.

As far as jeans, you have to TRY THEM ON....LOTS OF THEM!!! Jeans come in all kinds of cuts....they come in long lengths for tall girls....curvy for curvy gals, and skinny, for you thinner chicks!!! Different waist heights...different weight denim,...

It could take hours to find the perfect jean!! Don't give up, tho, because it's worth it!

Alternatively, you are a young adult, and what about skirts or dresses? A sundress is so much easier than jeans...slip it on...you're done! You can wear a lightweight tennis shoe (not a running shoe!!!) with some sundresses, or sandals!
Thanks for the tips. I usually pick out size 4 in jeans but those can be a little loose around the waist. I'll try on different pairs from now on. I wear skirts/dresses every once in a blue moon when I go to church. I don't like showing my legs because people always comment on how thin I am. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Old 06-08-2015, 06:38 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:

Find a good tailor and have your clothing fit to your body. It will cost a bit extra but it will be worth it.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:51 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
I don't like showing my legs because people always comment on how thin I am.
There are some really cute maxi dresses out now. Try some on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty