Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Besides deodorant, antiperspirant, or lotion do you wear any fragrances?
Yes 41 60.29%
No 27 39.71%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 08:41 AM

779 posts, read 927,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
And people who whine about cigarette smoke bothering them are also control freaks or complainers? It's just another issue to be a PITA about, right?

Is Your Health Being Destroyed by Other People’s Toxic Fragrances?
Is Your Health Being Destroyed by Other People’s Toxic Fragrances?

Toxic Perfume Chemicals Linked to Cancer, Sperm Damage | Rodale's Organic Life

The Toxic Effects of Perfume | Care2 Healthy Living

The Danger of Toxic Consumer Products, Fragrances*|*Samuel S. Epstein

There are numerous other sites validating that chemicals used to manufacture synthetic fragrances are harmful.
That's actually a good comparison. I personally HATE the smell of cigarettes, but do they make me sick? No, not anymore or less than anything else with a disgusting aroma.

When I encounter some brain dead humanoid who lacks the self awareness not to sit right next to someone while smoking, do I complain? Nope, I just get up and move. If it's not a non-smoking area they're not breaking any formal law.

My point is, if you're in a public area and you don't like the way that someone smells, then move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 10:23 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
My point is, if you're in a public area and you don't like the way that someone smells, then move!
I absolutely agree about getting clear of someone who wears a fragrance that is overwhelming; however, in many situations that is not possible. If a coworker wears an offending fragrance, others cannot move their cubes or desks. There are people who work in a doctor's office, or a dentist's office (for example) and stand close to patients while wearing an overbearing fragrance.

You have the choice to wear or not to wear; others don't have the choice of feeling ill.

There was an individual at work who wore Musk and we were assigned to work on a project together. Knowing the fragrance would bother me, I explained my problem and asked if he wouldn't mind not wearing it while we worked. He was very considerate and didn't wear it. The amazing thing is that about two weeks later he told me that since he stopped wearing Musk he hadn't had one migraine. And while wearing Musk, he would have headaches continually. He threw the Musk in the trash and thanked me.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:03 AM

779 posts, read 927,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I absolutely agree about getting clear of someone who wears a fragrance that is overwhelming; however, in many situations that is not possible. If a coworker wears an offending fragrance, others cannot move their cubes or desks. There are people who work in a doctor's office, or a dentist's office (for example) and stand close to patients while wearing an overbearing fragrance.

You have the choice to wear or not to wear; others don't have the choice of feeling ill.

There was an individual at work who wore Musk and we were assigned to work on a project together. Knowing the fragrance would bother me, I explained my problem and asked if he wouldn't mind not wearing it while we worked. He was very considerate and didn't wear it. The amazing thing is that about two weeks later he told me that since he stopped wearing Musk he hadn't had one migraine. And while wearing Musk, he would have headaches continually. He threw the Musk in the trash and thanked me.
There's always a one off. There's nothing that proves with any certainty that him not wearing Musk stopped his migraines. It was nice of him to stop wearing his Musk cologne though, because he didn't have to. But at the same time, I feel there's a few too many people who confuse not liking a particular fragrance or finding the smell "inconvenient" with it making them physically ill.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:01 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
There's always a one off. There's nothing that proves with any certainty that him not wearing Musk stopped his migraines. It was nice of him to stop wearing his Musk cologne though, because he didn't have to. But at the same time, I feel there's a few too many people who confuse not liking a particular fragrance or finding the smell "inconvenient" with it making them physically ill.
What a perfect world it would be if one could make the decision to feel ill, or to not feel ill. You have made it very clear that you will wear whatever you so choose, no matter if it bothers someone else or not.

Enough said on this debate. The original intent of the OP's posting was to ask if others wear fragrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty