Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 10:16 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,257,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The eighties was a fun decade for fashion, even though, like every era, some of the fashions were ridiculous.

Personally, the thing I really enjoyed about 80s fashion was that it was very diverse and fun and colorful.

I remember having a pair of skinny white jeans, and wearing a little geometric patterned spaghetti strapped top with a hot pink, cobalt blue, white and brilliant yellow pattern and a long, streamlined yellow linen jacket with big padded shoulders, with my hot pink vinyl Candies - and y'all, I was rockin' it Miami Vice style in Panama City, Florida! LOL

I really enjoyed the big earrings, the layers of necklaces, the cinched waists, and that Flashdance look as well. I was young and fit and trim and I remember wearing those cropped tops with one shoulder exposed, high waisted jeans (so only a couple of inches of midsection skin showed) and LEGGINGS and thinking I looked like an urban dancer. Errrr, not.

Oh and the BIG HAIR. Having very thick, coarse hair, this wasn't a problem for me at all. One of my favorite styles was a side ponytail with multiple scrunchies in coordinating colors.

And remember layering our socks over our tight legged jeans? And the whole skinny legged black pants and white socks with pointy toed flats - channeling Michael Jackson?

Epaulets, anyone?

Fun fashions, even if we laugh at them now.
I think BIG HAIR was a holdover from the 1970s counterculture hippie era. Just pure rebellion that became mainstream.

The Miami Vice look was huge. I think even I sort of borrowed the look for a year or two around 85'-86. I had the jacket, the pants, and the shoes for special occasions. Though my hair looked more like Richie Rich instead of Don Johnson. lol Soooooooooo 80s.

What about the bright wrist bands that were sort of like rubber bands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 05:11 PM

67,654 posts, read 60,315,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I think BIG HAIR was a holdover from the 1970s counterculture hippie era. Just pure rebellion that became mainstream.

The Miami Vice look was huge. I think even I sort of borrowed the look for a year or two around 85'-86. I had the jacket, the pants, and the shoes for special occasions. Though my hair looked more like Richie Rich instead of Don Johnson. lol Soooooooooo 80s.

What about the bright wrist bands that were sort of like rubber bands?
Oh my gosh, I had forgotten about those!

What about jumpsuits? Now THERE is a style that I hope and pray never returns. Pretty difficult to navigate in a club bathroom when you've had a bit too much to drink.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:14 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,272,374 times
No, no, no, no! Just NO! We all looked ridiculous.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh my gosh, I had forgotten about those!

What about jumpsuits? Now THERE is a style that I hope and pray never returns. Pretty difficult to navigate in a club bathroom when you've had a bit too much to drink.

I think I remember the jumpsuits on girls.

What about ducktails and mullets? lol

'84 Halloween my brother and I tried to dress up as tough new-wave punkrockers but instead I came out looking like Madonna.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:45 PM

5,010 posts, read 572,636 times
Ah yes, I remember the 80's......I did like the music - still do.

I worked on the front line in retail. I looked very much like the women in the pic the OP posted(sans the jeans).

Big hair with too much product, and makeup that could hardly be described as subtle.

Everything seemed to be a little over the top.

I cringe when I see pics of myself in those days....It must have been acceptable though because I was in the public eye every day.

Last edited by allthatglitters; 06-14-2015 at 09:01 PM..

Old 06-14-2015, 09:19 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,658,456 times
Quote:
Well that's just too bad. It looks dated as does anything from the medieval period. No crime in having the look. It just looks funny. So go ahead and look funny.
Fine by me. I dont follow fashion and can get into the 80s mindset no problem.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:47 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,111,629 times
Personally, I think the women in the 80s pic look horrible lol! Whenever I see old pictures from back then, the women look ridiculous. Men were ok. My friends and me just wore faded (until they were ripped) Levis, surfer t-shirts and Vans. I never did the mullet thing... luckily.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,955,649 times
Quote:
No. I remember the 1970s very well. The look for women was long, flat, straight hair, and the men wore verdant mustaches and longer hair. I think the long hair for men sort of evaporated by the end of the seventies. But it was very prevalent for a long time.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:32 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,244,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
No. I remember the 1970s very well. The look for women was long, flat, straight hair, and the men wore verdant mustaches and longer hair. I think the long hair for men sort of evaporated by the end of the seventies. But it was very prevalent for a long time.
I almost posted the same thing. He's thinking of the 60's bubble-flips and the bouffant "up-dos" that women wore from the 60's into the early-70's. But hippies "let it all hang out" straight, or frizzy, but long in most cases. A few wore lots and lots of crazy curls (like Gloria on 'All In the Family').

There was a short period in the early-70's when women wore granny dresses with the washer-woman hairdo. Remember that?

I think my biggest, quirkiest dislike of the 80's were the thick and wild, ungroomed eyebrows. Didn't like it then, and I still don't.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I remember the long flat hair but, compared to the conservative 50s and today's buzzed heads, the 70s had big hair. When i think of the 70s I think of KISS, the Jackson 5, disco, afros, Donna Summer, Styxx, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, and the Stones, they all had big hair. 80s bands like Poison, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Stryper, Bananarama, etc., just took that style and turned it up a notch or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty