Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 04:41 PM

17,455 posts, read 38,845,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So you're saying that paying out the wazoo for treatments to impress others because you're told you're unacceptable in your natural state (which, in turn, makes you feel good about yourself) is "women's liberation," of a sort, but I would argue the exact opposite. Great post, goodmockingbird. And I'm not militant about it; I'm merely voicing my opinion. Don't be so defensive, if you truly feel good about it.
Just as those who disagree are voicing our own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 04:47 PM

21,481 posts, read 12,578,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Just as those who disagree are voicing our own!
I'm down with that...

Old 06-29-2015, 06:33 PM

6,552 posts, read 4,700,617 times
Quote:
So you're saying that paying out the wazoo for treatments to impress others because you're told you're unacceptable in your natural state (which, in turn, makes you feel good about yourself) is "women's liberation," of a sort, but I would argue the exact opposite. Great post, goodmockingbird. And I'm not militant about it; I'm merely voicing my opinion. Don't be so defensive, if you truly feel good about it.
But, see, I don't feel that coloring your hair, doing your makeup, wearing contact lenses, etc., are necessarily done to impress others. It doesn't feel that way to me.

Truly, the only person I feel I need to impress or be accepted by is myself. I don't dye my hair, but I do style it and get it cut regularly. I do wear makeup and wear contacts, and occasionally bleach my teeth. I try to maintain a good figure and try to enhance it with decent clothing.

And it honestly feels to me that I'm doing it for myself. If I go out with my hair dirty and disheveld and wearing dirty or ill fitting clothes, I feel ugly and yucky.

I don't know, otterhere, maybe you're right....maybe I AM brainwashed!

Old 06-29-2015, 10:52 PM

1,317 posts, read 5,257,456 times
I would never go out yucky,ugly,undressed, and disheveled..LOL. But i do go out with minimal makeup and with my white/silver hair!

Old 06-29-2015, 11:46 PM

23,871 posts, read 32,141,209 times
I don't ever want to go grey. I have fair skin and green eyes. First I would look washed out.

Second, the color grey does not look good on me.

I do associate grey hair with age. I associate old age with a variety of unpleasant things.

I like my looks and I want to maintain a youthful appearance - for the rest of my life. I will exercise, eat healthy food, wear age appropriate but youthful clothes and avail myself of medical maintenance and upkeep, as needed and when needed.

People who want to grow out they grey - should go for it. They certainly don't need my permission - or anyone else's.

I also do not want to be judged by this Grow out the Grey movement as being superficial.

Let's just not judge one another.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:22 AM

17,455 posts, read 38,845,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't ever want to go grey. I have fair skin and green eyes. First I would look washed out.

Second, the color grey does not look good on me.

I do associate grey hair with age. I associate old age with a variety of unpleasant things.

I like my looks and I want to maintain a youthful appearance - for the rest of my life. I will exercise, eat healthy food, wear age appropriate but youthful clothes and avail myself of medical maintenance and upkeep, as needed and when needed.

People who want to grow out they grey - should go for it. They certainly don't need my permission - or anyone else's.

I also do not want to be judged by this Grow out the Grey movement as being superficial.

Let's just not judge one another.
I'm with you, Sheena! All except the bolded - I wear whatever I think looks sexy and flattering - no "age" associated with it!

Lastly, as I have said before, some people can really "ROCK the grey", I am not one of them. I have tried it, and it looked terrible, really terrible. I will probably color until the day I die, unless my hair all of a sudden turned a beautiful shade of platinum, but that won't happen, not in my genetics.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:30 AM

6,552 posts, read 4,700,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
I would never go out yucky,ugly,undressed, and disheveled..LOL. But i do go out with minimal makeup and with my white/silver hair!
Ha! Me too, even though my silver is more a washed out blonde at this point! I don't do disheveled/yucky in public either, just trying to make a point.

Although being yucky, disheveled, sweaty and dirty from weeding and doing yard work is a great feeling!

Old 06-30-2015, 10:03 AM

"And it honestly feels to me that I'm doing it for myself. If I go out with my hair dirty and disheveld and wearing dirty or ill fitting clothes, I feel ugly and yucky."

This is the crux of the matter (or at least the point I'm trying to make, apparently not very well): "ugly" to WHOM? To people who can see you. You can't see yourself. You're inside your own eyes, as it were (you can only see them). So obviously you're worried about others who are looking at YOU. Therefore, it can be "for you" only insofar as you fear the harsh judgment (and subsequently "bad feeling" you will get) of others who will disapprove of your appearance. Does this make sense to anyone but me, LOL?

That said, "dirty" is not what I'm talking about; of course we have to keep clean for hygienic and health reasons, and just out of consideration for our fellow man (so we don't stink). I'm talking about added embellishments beyond basic grooming and hygiene which are fine if you want to, but not (IMO) if you feel you have to under penalty of social rejection if you don't.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:35 AM

23,871 posts, read 32,141,209 times
Quote:
"And it honestly feels to me that I'm doing it for myself. If I go out with my hair dirty and disheveld and wearing dirty or ill fitting clothes, I feel ugly and yucky."

This is the crux of the matter (or at least the point I'm trying to make, apparently not very well): "ugly" to WHOM? To people who can see you. You can't see yourself. You're inside your own eyes, as it were (you can only see them). So obviously you're worried about others who are looking at YOU. Therefore, it can be "for you" only insofar as you fear the harsh judgment (and subsequently "bad feeling" you will get) of others who will disapprove of your appearance. Does this make sense to anyone but me, LOL?

That said, "dirty" is not what I'm talking about; of course we have to keep clean for hygienic and health reasons, and just out of consideration for our fellow man (so we don't stink). I'm talking about added embellishments beyond basic grooming and hygiene which are fine if you want to, but not (IMO) if you feel you have to under penalty of social rejection if you don't.

And that is your choice. If you want to live with "no added embellishments beyond basic grooming and hygiene" that's fine for you. Go for it.

However, please don't assume that everyone who decides that they want to go beyond soap, water, toothpaste and shampoo is "superficial" and or "overly concerned with what others think".

That's where I fear this "Grow Out the Grey" movement may lead...

To a generation of Baby Boomers making remarks like " Hi Karen! I saw Debbie and Cindy at the hairdresser and they were having their hair colored!" Or "Lisa, why do you still color your hair? No one does that anymore!"

It can become a whole other litmus test of what looks good and what the right thing is to do. And if it does it will be annoying, but I am still not going to follow.

I think I speak for most of us here - those who color our hair, use under eye creams, moisturizer and other "added embellishments"' - for ourselves. Not out of fear of what others might think.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:42 AM

Well, there are a lot of "movements" going on that not all of us agree with; hard to control a movement once it starts, well, moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty