Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 10:11 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times

Advertisements

Well, it isn't much of a movement where I'm at. Just sayin.

Hair color and make up can be fun! And there is certainly nothing wrong with a bit of fun in life.

Live and let live. (and go ahead and paint your nails red!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 10:35 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I'm with you, Sheena! All except the bolded - I wear whatever I think looks sexy and flattering - no "age" associated with it!

Lastly, as I have said before, some people can really "ROCK the grey", I am not one of them. I have tried it, and it looked terrible, really terrible. I will probably color until the day I die, unless my hair all of a sudden turned a beautiful shade of platinum, but that won't happen, not in my genetics.

Same here. And my husband, sisters, and children agree!!

Old 06-30-2015, 10:40 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"And it honestly feels to me that I'm doing it for myself. If I go out with my hair dirty and disheveld and wearing dirty or ill fitting clothes, I feel ugly and yucky."

This is the crux of the matter (or at least the point I'm trying to make, apparently not very well): "ugly" to WHOM? To people who can see you. You can't see yourself. You're inside your own eyes, as it were (you can only see them). So obviously you're worried about others who are looking at YOU. Therefore, it can be "for you" only insofar as you fear the harsh judgment (and subsequently "bad feeling" you will get) of others who will disapprove of your appearance. Does this make sense to anyone but me, LOL?

That said, "dirty" is not what I'm talking about; of course we have to keep clean for hygienic and health reasons, and just out of consideration for our fellow man (so we don't stink). I'm talking about added embellishments beyond basic grooming and hygiene which are fine if you want to, but not (IMO) if you feel you have to under penalty of social rejection if you don't.

This reminds me too much of the 70's when some women stopped shaving their underarms & legs. It all may have been clean, but it was still yuck IMO. But to each her own, for sure.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:18 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
I am 50% gray, more or less in certain light and I get nothing but compliments. I love it! Before letting my gray show I was in the color-of-the-month club. It was always coming out some sort of mahogany and that's having it done professionally. These are my markings and I wear them proudly!

Old 06-30-2015, 01:14 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Some women look FANTASTIC with grey hair.

Unfortunately women with fair colouring tend to fade away entirely.

One day I will jump, I will get a silver pixi crop - but you can rest assured I will be rocking bright red lips too! No matter how old I am or what the Fashion Police say!

Old 06-30-2015, 05:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Some women look FANTASTIC with grey hair.

Unfortunately women with fair colouring tend to fade away entirely.

One day I will jump, I will get a silver pixi crop - but you can rest assured I will be rocking bright red lips too! No matter how old I am or what the Fashion Police say!
I am not sure if you are saying that fair complexioned people should not go gray because they fade, or if this is just a comment about being fair. I'm blue eyed, fair, and freckled. I think my going gray hair is pretty good on me. I like it!

I would wear a pixie cut if I had enough hair on the top. I think they are great on older women.

I don't do red lipstick, but I applaud anyone who does. I love it. But not on me.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:37 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"And it honestly feels to me that I'm doing it for myself. If I go out with my hair dirty and disheveld and wearing dirty or ill fitting clothes, I feel ugly and yucky."

This is the crux of the matter (or at least the point I'm trying to make, apparently not very well): "ugly" to WHOM? To people who can see you. You can't see yourself. You're inside your own eyes, as it were (you can only see them). So obviously you're worried about others who are looking at YOU. Therefore, it can be "for you" only insofar as you fear the harsh judgment (and subsequently "bad feeling" you will get) of others who will disapprove of your appearance. Does this make sense to anyone but me, LOL?

That said, "dirty" is not what I'm talking about; of course we have to keep clean for hygienic and health reasons, and just out of consideration for our fellow man (so we don't stink). I'm talking about added embellishments beyond basic grooming and hygiene which are fine if you want to, but not (IMO) if you feel you have to under penalty of social rejection if you don't.
Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I suppose a lot of that is true. But I'm not really "worried" about what others think of how I look. It's not an active thing, thinking about what others think of my appearance. It's more of an ingrained "put your best foot forward" way of thinking. It's more a way of life I guess? Certainly it's not because I fear the penalty of social rejection.

Idk, maybe you can call that brainwashed, but I don't call it that.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:50 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
The two times I have seen it look good was -

1. A friend of my mother's who went prematurely grey in her 30. She wore her hair extremely short and it was a pale silvery color. She also had huge sapphire blue eyes and very high cheek bones. And an awesome figure. Yes she let her hair go grey - but she put an enormous amount of work and money, into still looking stylish as feminine. She always wore makeup. She seldom wore slacks, and mostly wore short colorful designer dresses and beautiful drop earrings. My point is that yes, she let her hair grow out, but she still had her hair cut at Kenneth, a famous NYC salon in the 60s and 70s. So that was no Super Cut pixie crop. It probably cost her $300 in today's money. She also needed to use special shampoos. Money was not an issue for this woman. She traveled a great deal and always had a tan - which was the fashion on the day.

2. I have seen college professor types who generally have thick wavy hair let it go grey. They usually sport ethnic looking dangling hearings, bohemian clothes - long skirts, scarves, peasant blouses etc. These women pile their hair on top the their heads or wear a long braid.
You get the idea.

I have fine, but thick hair and I prefer to wear it long. I had a short hair cut in the 80s and my husband HATED it. I mean I never heard the end of it. I personally prefer my hair long. I still get compliments on my hair and I go to a salon that uses natural products. It is not one flat color - it's a mixture of highlighted and low light streaks over a base color that is exactly like my natural color.

I think the grey can look good - but to have it work, you need to do a lot of compensating to make it look good. Not everyone - including me - wants to wear makeup every single day.

The Bohemian look is interesting - on others. It's not my look.

Also, my hair is stick straight.

Most women who I see who are average, middle class woman, who have let their hair go grey have done so out of ease. They also have let 20lbs creep up, and wear their hair in permed "hair doos" They wear pants with elastic waistbands and favor Alfred Dunner and Sag Harbor clothes - or just wear sweats and a tee shirt or sweater.

It's aging. And it does not suit me - or my personality. They may be very happy that way! Which is fine.

Forcing women to dress or style their hair in any particular way is not "liberating" - it's no different from forcing us to never cut our hair, or to don corsets.

Those are my opinions for me. My observation is that grey hair adds at least 10 years to most women. However, I am not the hair police.

And neither is anyone else.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:10 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,730 times
Everyone should do what they are happy with. What I find sad - and what convinces me, yet again, there isn't really a sisterhood - is the putting down of other women's appearance. So what if a woman carries an extra 20 pounds. So what if she does not color her hair or wear makeup. I know quite a few women who are very low maintenance, but are wonderful people who do an amazing amount of good in the world. We should all be beyond judging by appearances and if someone is clean and presentable, that should be good enough. As for Hilary Clinton, why is her appearance picked on over and over again? Does she owe it to others to look the way they want her to? Is anyone complaining about male politician's lack of attractiveness? That sort of thing is so shallow and mean-spirited, especially when perpetuated by other women.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:47 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Ha! Me too, even though my silver is more a washed out blonde at this point! I don't do disheveled/yucky in public either, just trying to make a point.

Although being yucky, disheveled, sweaty and dirty from weeding and doing yard work is a great feeling!
People say im blonde,lol. Its what you get when your hair is strawberry blonde and turns silver/white!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty