Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 05:20 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I found my first grey in my bangs at 32. I am now 50. I have a few more but not many. My hair is brown with auburn highlights, and I do get blonde streaks in the summer.

I permed my hair in high school and through my 20s. I wish I hadnt, as it took forever to grow out and not be damaged.

I now have an autoimmune disease. About 6 months before I was dx'd, I had switched to all natural hair and body products (as in homemade). One of the side effects I'm battling with my health issues is hair loss. No way am I going to put chemicals on my head again. Nevermind the cost. I am me and I feel 26. If someone doesn't like it or thinks I look old - tough.

I had hair loss too, exacerbated by MS it seems. Started taking a good Vitamin B complex from GN? and an extra Biotin pill every am. My hair is now VERY thick again! It takes some time, like 6 months before you see the improvement, but gets thicker and thicker over time. Be sure to take it in the am or you may have difficulty sleeping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 05:25 PM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
Grow out the gray?....I'd rather stick needles in my eye

Old 06-21-2015, 05:51 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
I've been coloring my hair platinum blond my entire life, up until 2 years ago. Much to my surprise, when the color grew out, I found that I had turned a nice shade of platinum blond, not at all grayish. Oh, I'm 75.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:22 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
A few years ago I decided to hold off on coloring my hair and see how I'd look with gray hair. It wasn't good. It made me look washed out, tired and old. Some women can pull it off, but apparently I'm not one of them.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I am told that there are things you can do to make the gray look better. My stylist told me that gray or white hair often looked yellow without a treatment.

I can truthfully say that my white streaks make my hair look better than it did before. I had mousey dark blonde hair, and I still do in the back.

I see a lot of gray hair where I am living now. I don't think well cared for hair, if gray, makes one look older or tireder. But dyed dark hair sure does. I do think if the gray is intolerable, then you should do what makes you feel best about yourself. But the experts say that going lighter for us older women goes with our lightening complexion better than our original younger color.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:52 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am told that there are things you can do to make the gray look better. My stylist told me that gray or white hair often looked yellow without a treatment.

I can truthfully say that my white streaks make my hair look better than it did before. I had mousey dark blonde hair, and I still do in the back.

I see a lot of gray hair where I am living now. I don't think well cared for hair, if gray, makes one look older or tireder. But dyed dark hair sure does. I do think if the gray is intolerable, then you should do what makes you feel best about yourself. But the experts say that going lighter for us older women goes with our lightening complexion better than our original younger color.
My dyed dark hair looks very natural. It is/was my natural color, I use the mildest color (no ammonia and very low peroxide) and do deep herbal conditioning treatments regularly. I don't see my self stopping the color for at least another 10 years.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:56 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I started my transition by going lighter - streaks, then full blondish. Maybe because I have the right complexion to carry these different shades - dark to light. I also have what my mother calls "a big face" - lol. I can see how a small pale face would not look good with white or gray hair. You would really have to emphasize the eyes. Pull the hair away from the face, maybe.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:20 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
I have dark dark brown hair and I now have a lot of silver running through it.
I like it.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:26 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
TOTALLY agree! Sheesh women,,give it up! just change your makeup to go with the grey,salt,whatever you have! You can do it. (runs away from hate replies!)

I quit wearing makeup about 10 years ago and I enjoy the fuss free lifestyle I have not wasting time on that, it gives me more time to waste on the internet....

I have never permed nor colored my hair and I am 54 years old, I will never perm or color my hair, it is another waste of time and money.

I am proud of my age, my looks and my heritage and I refuse to hide any of them under fake color.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:14 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Yes, you have to change the makeup and maybe wardrobe.
Change makeup?! Oh wait, I don't wear any. I really hope I don't have to give up my jeans and sweatshirts! Which goes better with a bit of grey, hoodies or crew?

My grandmother passed at 93 with 99% natural color, so I've got some good genes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty