Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 04:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
LOL!! I actually have a bottle of Blue Waltz that I bought from Ebay years ago. And I have some Evening in Paris as well.

My mother wore My Sin the most and it was wonderful. It was one of those fragrances that smell strong and almost stinky in the bottle, but dab it on and my, oh, my!

My favorite fragrance is Cher Uninhibited from the 80's. Was discontinued a few years later, but I stocked up on (also from Ebay) several years ago.

Other "old" fragrances that I own and wear are: Tabu, a bottle of My Sin, Channel #5, Shalimar, and even a few oils - frangipani and musk.

I do not like any of current fragrances that are endorsed by celebrities. Most of them smell too sweet.
I have always been a fan of Chantilly.....and I always search for the bath oil....Another is white shoulders I still occasionally buy both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 05:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Do any of you find that the old scents no longer smell the same? I was using Blue Grass as recently as 10 years ago, and loving it. I don't love it like I did. When I was wearing it before it was quite expensive; it is inexpensive now. I wonder if they changed the formulation?

I loved Fleurs de Rocaille decades ago. I found it on Overstock, but one reviewer said it wasn't the same as before. Is this a common occurrence?

A few years ago I ordered Tweed through Vermont Country Store. I remembered my mother, a teacher, receiving Tweed as a gift from a student many years ago. I was so intrigued by the scent when I was young, although my mom didn't like it particularly. At any rate, I remembered it differently than what I got. The scent was powdery; I remembered it being deeper and more adult.

Is it our memories or not? I wonder. Anyone know?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:21 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I used to love White Shoulders. I don't even know if they make it anymore.
I bought a bottle at TJ Maxx a couple of months ago!

Old 06-24-2015, 08:38 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Do any of you find that the old scents no longer smell the same?

Is it our memories or not? I wonder. Anyone know?
No it is not faulty memory. All the classic fragrances are being ruined with reformulations. The reformulations originated with new laws in the European Union that affect perfumery.

The European Union has been putting restrictions on which ingredients can be used in fragrances for many years--usually those that may cause allergies. There is a huge list of ingredients that have been used in perfumery for centuries which are now banned, and more are being added all the time. Perfume companies are then required to reformulate all their existing perfumes with different ingredients to be compliant with the new standards.

Also, some natural ingredients have become very expensive or extinct. So perfume companies find cheaper alternatives, usually synthetics.

Sometimes, perfume companies use less of the aromatic ingredients in order to cut costs. This results in a watered down version of the original scent.

Another major reason for the changes is due to marketing to a new demographic. Perfume companies like to "modernize" classic fragrances so that they appeal to a younger generation. Therefore, they add ingredients that follow current scent trends, so as to continue selling their classic but with a "modern twist."

This is so frustrating. The reformulations nearly always ruin the beautiful, classic fragrances.

Last edited by Sage 80; 06-24-2015 at 08:47 PM..

Old 06-24-2015, 08:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
No it is not faulty memory. All the classic fragrances are being ruined with reformulations. The reformulations originated with new laws in the European Union that affect perfumery.

The European Union has been putting restrictions on which ingredients can be used in fragrances for many years--usually those that may cause allergies. There is a huge list of ingredients that have been used in perfumery for centuries which are now banned, and more are being added all the time. Perfume companies are then required to reformulate all their existing perfumes with different ingredients to be compliant with the new standards.

Also, some natural ingredients have become very expensive or extinct. So perfume companies find cheaper alternatives, usually synthetics.

Sometimes, perfume companies use less of the aromatic ingredients in order to cut costs. This results in a watered down version of the original scent.

Another major reason for the changes is due to marketing to a new demographic. Perfume companies like to "modernize" classic fragrances so that they appeal to a younger generation. Therefore, they add ingredients that follow current scent trends, so as to continue selling their classic but with a "modern twist."

This is so frustrating. The reformulations nearly always ruin the beautiful, classic fragrances.
Thanks for the enlightening info. So, are any companies making new fragrances that sort of have an old fahioned scent? What do you think are the best of the newer fragrances?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:46 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Quote:
So, are any companies making new fragrances that sort of have an old fahioned scent?
I'm not aware of any. I think you may just have to find fragrances that you like, and if you really like them, perhaps buy two of that same formulation before it gets reformulated.

Quote:
What do you think are the best of the newer fragrances?
I'm not sure how recently you mean by "newer." Newer to me means in the last ~20 years. There are lots of good ones. I tend to like crisp, floral, spicy, complex scents. Some of the ones I like:

Euphoria
Very Irresistible
Tresor
So Pretty
Ange ou Demon
Boucheron
Ce Soir ou Jamais by Annick Goutal
Vera Wang
Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan
White Linen
Beautiful
Narciso Rodriguez (black bottle)
Paris by YSL
Sublime by Jean Patou

Old 06-24-2015, 11:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Ladies and gentlemen - I can't take it anymore. It's CHANEL - not CHANNEL. One "N" please.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:24 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
It's not quit 40 years old, but Anais Anais (which I never smell anywhere anymore) will always remind me of my mother.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:44 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
We used to buy Grey Flannel for my Father (it debuted around 1976 so not that old); I loved it so much that my Husband wears it now.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:09 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
I loved Heaven Scent by Helena Rubenstein, and then Dana bought it, now named Heaven Sent. It's close but not the same, I can tell the difference. I do wear it but prefer the old one.

I love some of the old Dana scents, by the way. 20 Carats was a favorite of mine, and my mother's, and I still love Ambush (have a tiny bottle of it).

Also loved the old Avon sent, Bird of Paradise.

I collect scents in all forms - sprays, oils, even an old Tabu solid stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty