Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:06 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Wow, so far no one else finds this unpractical/an unattractive fashion statement?

Which is okay (people can go for different looks/comfort levels) ; but I'm a little surprised no one has agreed, at least not yet.
I don't agree with you either!

I don't like short sleeve dressed shirts on men. I like the look of rolled up sleeves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 02:33 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
NickofDiamonds isn't the OP.
Yup. I made a mistake there, clearly.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:37 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Sweetheart Mom, I never asked you for your opinion, exclamation mark

But, now I am, what part of dorky does wearing a short sleeve shirt make one, other then maybe not looking cool but being cool ?
Also, is there a specific Looney Tune character that are you referring to ?
I'm trying to figure out if maybe this is a backhanded compliment
Yes,obviously I mistook you for the OP. Sorry about that and I retract that part of my comment. "Looney tunes" is a phrase that means "you're crazy", so no, it was no compliment. .

The part of a short sleeved dress shirt that make it look dorky, is the short sleeves. Pretty sure that has been made clear here.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:09 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
I wear shirts most of the year, and I love short sleeve shirts. It's almost to the point that I kinda feel uncomfortable / scruffy without a collar. I almost feel naked if I only wear a tshirt and my neck is visible.

Rolled up sleeves is what you have in the spring time when it's getting warm and you're not prepared. I can't quite get to keep the sleeves up, but I do have sleeves that can attach to the upper part of the sleeve. Rolling sleeves up on purpose instead of having the convenience of short sleeves in warm to hot weather is like showing your manliness a bit too much, methinks.

Maybe I'm a bit dorky, but that's my style I guess.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:51 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,316 times
I rolled up dress sleeves for 20+ years.. it was a mistake. If in an office with air then just keep them down. If out and about in the heat buy a few short sleeved dress shirts. Just my current opinion.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:12 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
How can a man roll up his sleeves and get down to work if he has no sleeves to roll?

Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:58 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjl1717 View Post
''
Totally agree!! Sleeves rolled up, appear like "this guy is about to do some real work!"...

Maybe the OP is a little disconnected from working people customs/ American culture??
Apparently, I must be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You asked for Opinions, and now you know. You are in the minority, clearly. Short sleeved dress shirts look dorky. Period.
I don't agree with short sleeves looking dorky on their own. I do agree that they don't look as good with a necktie. But fair enough; that's your opinion and that's what I asked for to see where people stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Now, now, let's not make fun of Sears, as far as clothing goes. They have the same clothes as other retailers, just at more reasonable prices.

I have worn, on occasion, a short-sleeve dress shirt, when the temps were at 95 for a solid week. Sometimes comfort does matter.
That was at the center of my question, and the fashion pet peeve that I have is how it seems women have many more options to dress professionally/fashionably without "making fun" of the weather. Just as it wouldn't make sense to people to wear shorts and short sleeves in 15 F degree weather, it doesn't make sense (at least in a logical, pragmatic way) to wear long and constricting sleeves in 95 F degree, humid weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
How can a man roll up his sleeves and get down to work if he has no sleeves to roll?

Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case.
Au contraire...Maybe he knew how hard we'd be working from the moment he started, so he's starting from a point of unencumbered arms made for toil and perseverance.

Last edited by Jowel; 06-24-2015 at 06:37 PM..

Old 06-24-2015, 09:05 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
It's not a "look" in most cases. It's usually an adaptation to the dress code.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:41 PM

191 posts, read 163,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Well the other day I was watching a parade. I forgot my shades and my sun hat, and it was warm and sunny. I had a thin, light colored hoodie. I put it on, including the hood. I felt much less hot that I did in just my t-shirt. It was amazing. The light color reflected the light. And I cooled off within a couple of minutes. And protected my head!
I did the same with my sweatpants when my air conditioning went out and had to be fixed. I found that the sweatpants were cooler than my jeans. I remember reading that long, loose, thin, light-colored clothing keeps you cooler because it allows for air circulation around the skin, which wicks away moisture (while keeping too much sweat from escaping at once). Light colors reflect light and heat. This is why the saree and the shalwar kameez are popular in South Asia and long loose tunics and dresses are popular in the Middle East and North Africa. In certain climates, exposing the skin actually heats you up rather than cooling you down.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:47 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,151 times
Can be sexy.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty