Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:25 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Exactly. My age is part of who I am. I belong to a certain generation. And I like that. But no one needs to look every bit of their age today - unless that is their preference.

Clearly, it is not my preference.
And what about the younger people who look older? I know people 15 years younger than me who look older than I do. Is it acceptable for them to get plastic surgery so they can look more their age? I say it's acceptable no matter what. The only person who has to live with the results is the person going under the knife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 10:27 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Regarding elective cosmetic surgery -

They would have to pay ME.

I do not want ANY surgery let alone surgery based on vanity.

I do not judge others though - if you want to go about looking permanently surprised, that's your business.
My feelings exactly!!

Old 07-06-2015, 01:49 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
OK, I am going to just come out and flat out state that:

I want to look as good as possible, as SEXY as possible, as young as possible, for AS LONG AS IS POSSIBLE! LOLOLOL!

That may or may not involve cosmetic "procedures." It is my body to do with as I choose. And it has absolutely NOTHING to do with confidence or self-esteem. My reasons are my own and neither I nor any of you here (who feel as I do) need to justify ANYTHING to anyone else!

Old 07-06-2015, 02:08 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes, that is the battle cry these days.

"I did it for ME! I feel better about myself now!!"

The way I see it, though, is that women are voluntarily signing up for these procedures, whether they realize it or not, BECAUSE of societal influence (which includes men). It's a response to pressure to comply to a norm of beauty that rejects the reality of aging and change because the associated traits are deemed unattractive by society.

I seriously doubt the bags under your eyes are keeping you from doing a great job at work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
Yeh, these pics are enough to stop me from doing ANY of strictly cosmetic plastic surgery procedure.

Besides you can lift it, tuck it and botox it, but you can NEVER fix the neck and the hands. They are always a dead giveaway for the real age.
Then why color your hair? Anyone can look at your neck and hands and know your hair is probably gray. Why not go with the gray no matter what society thinks?

I say probably because at 61 my hair is still brown with a sprinkle of grays. Recently a friend, albeit a man, said he thought I had been coloring my hair for years! A woman wouldn't make that mistake, she would zero in on those gray hairs immediately! LOL!

That said, would I like to have work done? Oh hell yeah!.......if I could get Jane Fonda's plastic surgeon.

I have no wrinkles but I am starting to sag.........it's like I am melting. Specifically the nasal folds, as I had the full cheeks others have mentioned......and my neck.

I have thought about temporary fillers since you won't be ruined for life if the doctor makes a mistake.

I have been the victim of a bad surgeon and will pay the price for the rest of my life, not willing to risk my face, better to look old than look butchered.

I don't see plastic surgery as trying to fool anyone, anymore than coloring your hair, putting on makeup or a pair of spanks.

I just see it as trying to look your best and there is nothing wrong with that, IMO.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:21 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes, that is the battle cry these days.

"I did it for ME! I feel better about myself now!!"

The way I see it, though, is that women are voluntarily signing up for these procedures, whether they realize it or not, BECAUSE of societal influence (which includes men). It's a response to pressure to comply to a norm of beauty that rejects the reality of aging and change because the associated traits are deemed unattractive by society.

I seriously doubt the bags under your eyes are keeping you from doing a great job at work.
Work is only a part of life. I haven't had anything done yet, but I would. Not for anyone else, but to feel better about myself. It's no different than putting on makeup in the morning, or dressing well, or coloring my hair. It all works to just feel better, add confidence. If a person looks tired, they tend to act tired and feel tired. It's not just vanity (although there's nothing wrong with vanity, since all humans have it).

Also, some people age better than others. Depends on the shape of your face, whether you have a chubby face, good bone structure, large eyes (more prone to bags), little lips (lips shrink with age), etc. So some people don't avoid their reflection in the mirror because they either don't care or they don't need to because they are aging well. Others feel differently about it, seeing their face that's not aging well or caring what they look like. To each his own.

People who look younger or healthier, BTW, get paid more, I've read.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:25 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble. Darker skin doesn't age as fast, or wrinkle much at all, as lighter skin, but blacks, esp. celebrities, flock to cosmetic surgeons just the same. Butt enhancements, butt lifts, botox, tummy tucks, liposuction, rhinoplasty.

Black Women Get Butt Lifts, Other Cosmetic Surgeries - ABC News

Vivica Fox, Wendy Williams, Tina Turner, Lil' Kim, (and notoriously, Michael Jackson), Nicki Manaj, Beyonce', and many other black celebrities.
You aren't bursting my bubble at all. You had to scour the web to come up with a FEW examples of black celebs who took cosmetic surgery to the extreme. However my comment was about black skin generally showing fewer signs of aging. No need to get in a huff about it.

The fact remains that those with more melanin in their skin shows signs of aging MUCH slower than those with fair skin. I see it with my own friends and colleagues. The Caucasian women who are my age actually look their age (or older). One of my best friends who has very fair skin (and is 2 yrs younger) has deep lines on her face (crows feet, wrinkles on the forehead, laugh lines) while I have none. And I have never had surgery or used botox/fillers etc.; I am not even religious with a skin care regimen but just naturally look younger.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
you and me both, sistah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
OK, I am going to just come out and flat out state that:

I want to look as good as possible, as SEXY as possible, as young as possible, for AS LONG AS IS POSSIBLE! LOLOLOL!

That may or may not involve cosmetic "procedures." It is my body to do with as I choose. And it has absolutely NOTHING to do with confidence or self-esteem. My reasons are my own and neither I nor any of you here (who feel as I do) need to justify ANYTHING to anyone else!

Old 07-06-2015, 04:50 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
I never thought 45 was old (except when I was kid).

Old 07-06-2015, 05:18 PM

563 posts, read 524,202 times
If you want to have plastic surgery, do it. You have used injectables before, I believe you mentioned in your post. If you have a great reliable Dr. that you trust to perform the surgery, then, why not?

Old 07-06-2015, 05:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Those with light skin are at a disadvantage, but many also contribute to it by tanning or not being vigilant about sunblock (especially when we're younger); trying to get that "summer glow" causes all sorts of damage that ages us prematurely. I kind of lucked out with this one, only because my eyes are very pale, thus very sensitive to intense sunlight; because of that I've always stayed under a wide-brimmed hat in the summer months, and sun glasses all year round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You aren't bursting my bubble at all. You had to scour the web to come up with a FEW examples of black celebs who took cosmetic surgery to the extreme. However my comment was about black skin generally showing fewer signs of aging. No need to get in a huff about it.

The fact remains that those with more melanin in their skin shows signs of aging MUCH slower than those with fair skin. I see it with my own friends and colleagues. The Caucasian women who are my age actually look their age (or older). One of my best friends who has very fair skin (and is 2 yrs younger) has deep lines on her face (crows feet, wrinkles on the forehead, laugh lines) while I have none. And I have never had surgery or used botox/fillers etc.; I am not even religious with a skin care regimen but just naturally look younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty