Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

I have spent the past 2 seasons looking to jump on to the jumpsuit trend. My go to outfit is a dress, and a jumpsuit offers the one piece ease I like. Unfortunately jumpsuits are very tricky fit wise, especially if you are "unbalanced" proportionally. And my shape is pear-ish, but I am also busty. I also have a short torso and average length pants tend to be too short. I tried on button down jumpsuits that gapped in the front. Wide legged jumpsuits that were too short (above the ankles) or too tight in the thigh. Others didn't hit my natural waist. Others were too revealing.

I finally gave up hope. Oh a whim I tried on a few in clearance from a brand that tends to fit me well. One worked, and i wore it to work. Success: bike friendly and coworker approved.

Have you jumped on the one piece trend?

Last edited by jade408; 07-07-2015 at 11:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 10:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I prefer one-piece clothing as well, but tend to stick to tank dresses.

Rompers/jumpsuits are difficult from a fit standpoint, mostly because of my height (nearly 5'10") and the fact that I am fairly shortwaisted, so leg length becomes a major issue. Pants, in general, are a difficult fit, but with an attached top, proportions become even more tricky. Because I have a pear-shaped figure, with narrow shoulders, medium bust, a narrow waist, and wide hips, where the waistline falls on a garment is critical, in terms of how flattering the look is. In most one-piece items, the waist doesn't fall quite right, which emphasizes all the wrong things.

I suppose it's possible that someone, somewhere, designs the perfect jumpsuit/romper to flatter the silhouette of a tall woman with a short waist and pear shape, but I certainly haven't found them yet. The more forgiving lines of a long, knit, body-skimming maxi tank dress are simply the more flattering option, at this point.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
I've always liked jumpsuits.

Yeah, they are hard to fit. I'm short-waisted and have long legs..........But every so often..

My favorite was one I bought in the 70's. Navy blue - very tailored with a matching coat.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:57 PM

44 posts, read 41,896 times
Jade I agree with you. I don't wear jumpsuit always but when use then I can't be sure that is it go with me? It seems it happens to everybody.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I prefer one-piece clothing as well, but tend to stick to tank dresses.

Rompers/jumpsuits are difficult from a fit standpoint, mostly because of my height (nearly 5'10") and the fact that I am fairly shortwaisted, so leg length becomes a major issue. Pants, in general, are a difficult fit, but with an attached top, proportions become even more tricky. Because I have a pear-shaped figure, with narrow shoulders, medium bust, a narrow waist, and wide hips, where the waistline falls on a garment is critical, in terms of how flattering the look is. In most one-piece items, the waist doesn't fall quite right, which emphasizes all the wrong things.

I suppose it's possible that someone, somewhere, designs the perfect jumpsuit/romper to flatter the silhouette of a tall woman with a short waist and pear shape, but I certainly haven't found them yet. The more forgiving lines of a long, knit, body-skimming maxi tank dress are simply the more flattering option, at this point.
Why are these pants jumpsuits so short? I am 5'4" and I find that most of them are too short. Who are these made for? Are they cutting the legs wrong? I really do not get it!

Old 07-08-2015, 05:17 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I didn't know there was a "jumpsuit trend" - I've never seen them for sale anywhere.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:16 PM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I didn't know there was a "jumpsuit trend" - I've never seen them for sale anywhere.
I haven't even seen them in catalogues or fashion mags. The trend hasn't hit where I live.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:53 PM

7,057 posts, read 4,818,181 times
They're everywhere here where I live. Jumpsuits and super wide-leg pants.

I have the opposite problem from you, Jade, and you, TabR. I'm short and curvy. 5' 1.5", with a well defined waist but quite short legs and a larger rump. Usually what feels like it fits well in the butt is way long in the legs, and, in the case of jumpsuits, most likely a bit too large in the top.

Not that my rear end is huge, but proportionalety too large for a jumpsuit to fit properly all around off the rack.

And EVERYTHING with pants is usually too long.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:13 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
What she said.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:14 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I haven't even seen them in catalogues or fashion mags. The trend hasn't hit where I live.
Not here either. Thank goodness.
Jumpsuits do NOT flatter the average woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty