Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 01:27 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am just blind or very unobservant, but it seems that women's -- and even to some degree, men's -- fashions have not really changed in 35 years. Prior to 1990, it seems that every decade had a very distinct look -- the jazz look of the 20's the baggy dresses OR the Art Deco look of the 30's, the shoulder pads and ankle-straps of the 40's, the wasp-waist, full-skirted "New Look" of the 50's, the hippie/"mod" look of the 60's, and the disco/psychedelic look of the 70's (which, imo, continued into the 80's), but it seems to me as though the ultra-casual, who-cares-what-I-wear and mainly dull look we have now started about 1990 and hasn't really changed since (except for the goth and punk look, which -- again, imo -- was started about 1990 and hasn't changed since). To be clear, I am talking about what MOST women wear in the U.S. and not what the high-fashion fashionistas wear. Honestly, by just looking at women's clothing alone, I cannot tell a "current time" movie made today from a "current time" movie made in 1990!

Maybe I am (as I said) blind -- or crazy! -- but does anyone else agree with me? And if not, how would you classify the 90's, 00's, and our current fashion "look".

And if you DO agree, why do you think that is?

Also, what do you think women's fashions will look like ten years from now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 02:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Maybe I am just blind or very unobservant, but it seems that women's -- and even to some degree, men's -- fashions have not really changed in 35 years. Prior to 1990, it seems that every decade had a very distinct look -- the jazz look of the 20's the baggy dresses OR the Art Deco look of the 30's, the shoulder pads and ankle-straps of the 40's, the wasp-waist, full-skirted "New Look" of the 50's, the hippie/"mod" look of the 60's, and the disco/psychedelic look of the 70's (which, imo, continued into the 80's), but it seems to me as though the ultra-casual, who-cares-what-I-wear and mainly dull look we have now started about 1990 and hasn't really changed since (except for the goth and punk look, which -- again, imo -- was started about 1990 and hasn't changed since). To be clear, I am talking about what MOST women wear in the U.S. and not what the high-fashion fashionistas wear. Honestly, by just looking at women's clothing alone, I cannot tell a "current time" movie made today from a "current time" movie made in 1990!

Maybe I am (as I said) blind -- or crazy! -- but does anyone else agree with me? And if not, how would you classify the 90's, 00's, and our current fashion "look".

Sure.

I was born 38 years ago. Looking through photos from different stages of my life, it seems pretty clear that styles have come and gone and come again and gone again, just as they always have. The cut of pants and trends in footwear alone are pretty different even by five-year increments, let alone ten-year.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:28 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Yes, crop tees weren't there 35 years ago.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:42 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. I am talking more about the overall "look" rather than individual items. For example, the "look" of the 30's vs. the "look" of the 40's.

I admit I still could be wrong, but that is why I would like to know that if you DO disagree with my general statement, how you would describe the look of the 90's, the look of the 00's, and the look NOW.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:22 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

I think you're right, to some extent; for men it's been the "Who Cares" look and also Hip Hop since the 90's. Time for a change.

Other than that, though, there have been subtle changes; bell-bottoms/boot cut jeans, then skinny, and now super-wide legs for women. The 80's for women was shoulder pads (ugh! Good riddance!) It's been super-narrow skirts for women for awhile now (weren't those big in the 20's? Or was it the 40's?). I can't wait for it to change to more of an A-line skirt or something fuller.

Anyway, we'll see what's around the corner, fashion-wise. But be careful what you wish for; it could be something just as crazy (and ugly) as the hip-hop look.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:29 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I don't think fashion has changed that much since the 90's. I think make-up and hair have, though.

I can't believe crop tops are back, though. They just scream 80s to me, lol.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
When I was working in a professional environment in the 1990s in Texas, regardless of the heat women in managerial/white collar professional roles were expected to wear business suits, panty hose, and close toed shoes. Yep, that means a jacket and a blouse or shell underneath, a lined skirt (usually) and panty hose - UGH - I remember burning up from the car to the office building...and don't even get me started on making it across that stifling parking lot at 5 pm! One year the AC went out in my car, in the middle of summer, and I couldn't get it fixed for about a month. OMG.

Now I honestly can't remember the last time I wore a skirt or a dress.

When I left banking three years ago, the usual attire for a female bank manager in the summer was a skirt or ankle/cropped pants, a cute top (nothing tight but it didn't have to be a jacket ensemble), and we could wear shoes that were either open in the back, or in the front, but not both (LOL). No panty hose required if one was wearing a skirt. No jackets required for either men or women. Men could wear khakis and a collared shirt - no tie required.

MUCH more casual! It was great, and more realistic for our weather patterns.

No denim was allowed, no flip flops, no exposed tattoos or unusual piercings. Otherwise, things were much more laid back than 30 years ago and I loved it that way.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:14 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Yes, crop tees weren't there 35 years ago.
Oh, I remember LOTS of crop tees in the early 80's. They were mostly athletic-wear inspired, but they were definitely present in street-wear.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:21 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
I think one of the biggest style changes in the last 30 years is in womens professional dress. 30 years ago, women tried very hard to fit in with their male counterparts. Very strong shoulder lines, very little shape to their suits, even many hairstyles looked very un-feminine. These days, not only have dress codes relaxed, but women dress more femininely and don't shy away from prints.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:20 AM

379 posts, read 359,141 times
Yoga pants and hi tech yoga inspired athletic wear as regular casual wear seems like a relatively new development for women's everyday fashion.

Every decade there's at least one get up that I hadn't seen before. If everything looks the same as years past take a look at what teenagers are wearing. People older than 25 seem to stick with tried and true outfits.

It does seem like clothing over the years have zeroed in on being simple and practical, so you probably won't see very many radical changes. Fashion also seems to follow improvements in technology. A lot of the all-over printing techniques and stretchy materials were not available 10 years ago.

Last edited by Arne Bjornson; 07-18-2015 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty