Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 08:33 PM

148 posts, read 136,314 times

Advertisements

You people aware that there are different kinds of "models"? Most runway models (the thinnest of them all) are hardly known and hardly seen unless you are into high end fashion...compared to fashion models that retailers use
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 01:26 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabartek View Post
You people aware that there are different kinds of "models"? Most runway models (the thinnest of them all) are hardly known and hardly seen unless you are into high end fashion...compared to fashion models that retailers use
i think the popular models are the ones who are in mags like sports illustrated's annual swimsuit issue and other such publications.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:22 AM

148 posts, read 136,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
i think the popular models are the ones who are in mags like sports illustrated's annual swimsuit issue and other such publications.
And most popular models in most mags tend to be actresses or children of socialites.

I think people are just goddamn complaining because everyone in society is not worshipping them. They will only feel good about themselves if people worship them. That I think isnthe crux of the American body image problem - people tie their self worth to opinion of other people about them

Old 08-15-2015, 08:43 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Socialite View Post
Today's models look down right hideous facially compared to the super models from over a decade ago. I don't care that they're "too skinny" (models have always been on the thin side) but some of these chicks are so unappealing facially. No striking features, no nothing. I think the only models that still look good are the Victoria Secret Angels.

Then...

Mod cut: Copyrighted images deleted.

(I just have a wicked girl crush on Karen Mulder, don't mind me)

Now (my good Lord)

Mod cut.

The pic above is Lily McMenamy... she's a model.

Mod cut.
It's not about beauty anymore. It was about sexiness for a while in the early 2000s, but I don't even think it is about that either.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Today's models look down right hideous facially compared to the super models from over a decade ago. I don't care that they're "too skinny" (models have always been on the thin side) but some of these chicks are so unappealing facially. No striking features, no nothing. I think the only models that still look good are the Victoria Secret Angels.

Then...

Mod cut: Copyrighted images deleted.

(I just have a wicked girl crush on Karen Mulder, don't mind me)

Now (my good Lord)

Mod cut.

The pic above is Lily McMenamy... she's a model.

Mod cut.
I personally hold Kate Moss responsible for this. Tyra Banks to a certain degree.

Last edited by goofy328; 08-15-2015 at 09:07 AM..

Old 08-15-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
I remember hearing that the supermodels of the '80s-'90s were so popular that many designers rebelled against them. Remember, Naomi Campbell's temper tantrums and Linda Evangelista's snooty comments about refusing to wake up for less than $10K per day?

Fashion Week became a circus and all of the magazine articles focused on their behavior--the more outrageous the better. The designers disliked this because they wanted the focus to be on the clothing, not the models. Gradually, many designers began to use models with more generic looks and personalities.
The models were getting paid more back then because it was normal for people to spend their entire check on clothing. Back then a t-shirt would sell for $300 and no one blinked. Jeans were approaching $1,200. So it wasn't unsual for those models to make more than ten large in a day, maybe even 15 or 25 thousand, or just 10 thousand for one photo shoot.

Since the recession working class people are buying what they can afford. We don't have access to cheap credit like we did back then. Models have to work harder for less money. It is back to the way it was in the eighties, when the one percent among us were the only people paying exhorbitant amounts of money for clothing, the way that it should be. The culture is different, and the greed of designers, with their high-low pricing strategies and getting us to pay $500 for something that, in actually should cost more like $125 is far behind us. Plus you have outfits like H&M stealing or reworking designers so you don't have as obvious of a difference in style between someone paying a fortune and someone just paying a lot of money.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Jenna Jameson was hot to trot in her prime.
Well that is a different type of modeling, lol. But yes, even those models looked a lot better back then, than they do now. I think the early 2000s were the best, but that is off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty