Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 12:41 PM

19,797 posts, read 9,331,249 times

Advertisements

I am 61 and for 90% of my adult life, I barely made enough to pay my bills; and as recently as five years ago, I would never have dreamed of paying over $75.00 for ANY dress or over $25.00 for a pair of shoes or a pair of jeans. I bought my clothes at Sears and JCPenney (before they went downhill, imo) and at clearance sales at the "better" department stores, and I bought my shoes at Payless. However, although my entire annual clothing budget was probably about $600.00, I always managed to dress appropriately and actually received many compliments on how I dressed from employers, co-workers, friends, boyfriends, etc.

Now, however, with the kids gone and our income up (meaning that we have a lot more discretionary income) and I can afford to pay much more for clothing, I just think, "Why should I?" The more inexpensive stuff often (not always) looks just as good, imo, if I am choosy and/or stick to basics, and so I don't know why I should pay twice as much, or even five or ten times as much, for something when I don't really need to. I mean, for example, there are plenty of basic white tees that cost $15.00 that fit and look every bit as good, imo, as some that cost $50.00.

Does anyone other than wealthy society ladies and "fashionistas" REALLY notice and judge women -- especially older women -- by how expensive their clothing is?

Last edited by katharsis; 07-26-2015 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 03:52 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,681,619 times
Far as Im concerned theyve been doing it since High School

Old 07-27-2015, 06:14 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
"How many people really care what other people wear, regarding cost? "

Never took a count... but there are always people who judge other people on a wide variety of things.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,971,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am 61 and for 90% of my adult life, I barely made enough to pay my bills; and as recently as five years ago, I would never have dreamed of paying over $75.00 for ANY dress or over $25.00 for a pair of shoes or a pair of jeans. I bought my clothes at Sears and JCPenney (before they went downhill, imo) and at clearance sales at the "better" department stores, and I bought my shoes at Payless. However, although my entire annual clothing budget was probably about $600.00, I always managed to dress appropriately and actually received many compliments on how I dressed from employers, co-workers, friends, boyfriends, etc.

Now, however, with the kids gone and our income up (meaning that we have a lot more discretionary income) and I can afford to pay much more for clothing, I just think, "Why should I?" The more inexpensive stuff often (not always) looks just as good, imo, if I am choosy and/or stick to basics, and so I don't know why I should pay twice as much, or even five or ten times as much, for something when I don't really need to. I mean, for example, there are plenty of basic white tees that cost $15.00 that fit and look every bit as good, imo, as some that cost $50.00.

Does anyone other than wealthy society ladies and "fashionistas" REALLY notice and judge women -- especially older women -- by how expensive their clothing is?
I doubt very much that very many people at all, outside of a few circles more interested in displays of opulence and status-chasing, care about the cost of other people's clothing, in-and-of-itself. And you are certainly right that it's possible to dress appropriately and even stylishly without spending a whole lot of money.

I'm speaking as an early-middle-aged man, not an older woman, but I have found that as far as cost goes, sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes you get less than you pay for, and sometimes you get more. The key is figuring out which brands/lines work for you have good value. I spent $130 on a pair of chinos last week because they fit my gangly frame better than any other paid I've tried. A the same time, I have a bunch of $20 button-downs from Target that I love, fit well, and have held up really well. The point is that in neither case do I regret the purchase.

Last edited by BATCAT; 07-27-2015 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-27-2015, 07:07 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,700,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

No one cares....but at the same time....if you like something and it looks good and you can afford it....why would you not buy it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty