Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 09:06 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
i agree.

I'm not sure how spending money on a good bra (which may run around $55-60 once every 2-3 years, depending on the quality of the bra) compares to spending money on kids. The two can't be compared.

Nothing take the place of a good supportive and comfortable bra. NOTHING!

And while I do agree that the prices can sometimes be obscene, I also know that a good bra is worth it's weight in gold.
Seriously. Boobs don't complain, bicker, get bored, or inhale snacks once they're comfortably contained. (Can you tell who's in the home-stretch of summer break )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 10:02 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Life is too short to spend one minute in uncomfortable underwear of any kind.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:17 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
If I could find a bra that fit comfortably, I'd spend my money on half-dozen. I have been "fitted", measured, poked and prodded, and I still don't have a good fit. At this point in my life, I've about given up on that elusive "perfect fit and support".

I'm not looking for seductive. My ladies have done their job at nourishing five children so they don't have to handle that task. All they have to do is sit comfortably ensconced in a bra that doesn't dig into my shoulders or make my neck ache. Is that asking too much?

I'll have to look into the Primadonna brand and see if that at last will rescue us.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:31 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,294 times
I am to the point of researching the making and sewing of my own bras. The ones in walmart, are mostly cheap ones from China. And I won't spend big $$ on a playtex etc until I find someone who knows how to measure a woman for the correct size bra.
Right now, I am down to 2 good bras. I had a bad nickel reaction (I guess) from a cheapie walmart bra last fall. Where the underwire corroded in sweat. Yeah. That's bad.

So, I went and found some bras made a little better. But since I have lost weight recently..55 lbs....the underwires now poke my under arm areas.

Men just have NO clue on what we have to deal with carrying around breast tissue...times 2.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:26 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
I don't mind bras. If your bras are uncomfortable, they are probably too small. It might also be time to try a different style. I actually like buying pretty bras, although they can get expensive.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:54 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I found a version that fits me at Victoria's secret. I bought two - a black one and a nude one. I also bought a strapless one, but that's not one I wear very often. I work from home, so most days I wear a sports bra because it provides even more support and is more comfortable. I found some Champion brand ones at Target that are $20 a pop and fit me perfectly. I save my real bras for 1) dates, 2) business meetings, 3) going out with friends or 4) meetup group get-togethers.

At any other time I'm going for a hike, going to the dog park, randomly exploring in my car, going to the grocery store, going to the gym, going to a dog sports event, going to the library... etc. All sports bra occasions as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:32 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I am somewhere in between the opinions here..... I have to have SOME kind of support, but it doesn't always have to be a formal "bra" so to speak. Even though I am large, I prefer to wear sport bras, tight camisoles and tanks, or supportive clothing wearever possible. When I really want to look good, though, I bust out the padded underwire jobs..... I can stand those for a few hours.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:40 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
It's very true that men have no idea what it feels like. However, some of us try to empathize.

My wife is a very frugal woman who will buy herself cheap work clothing if permitted. Trouble is, a lot of it looks cheap and feels cheap, and wears cheap as well. If she has an uncomfortable bra, it has to detract from her success because it will affect her focus. Since her work involves a lot of negotiating and poring over legal and contractual matters, this is really bad. And even more than that, I simply don't like for her to be uncomfortable, on principle.

This time when bra shopping came around, and she was ready to head to the same places she's been buying bras which I can see she ends up complaining are not very durable or comfortable, I refused to shut up until she at least tried the selection at Nordstrom. I insisted she not look at the prices (but she kept peeking). They didn't have any in her measurements, but then I dragged her to Macy's. The Wacoal line had some that fit her like gloves, kept her shoulders comfortable, and cost double what she usually pays. We bought two. Now she says they are the best bras she's ever worn. When they go through a washing and still feel as good, I'll go out and get her a couple more, same size, whatever colors she prefers. We can see the range online, so that's easy.

As for the idea of a heavy-bearded, crew-cut guy buying bras, I simply do not care. No one at the mall's opinion matters to me. Fact is, it's burdensome for my wife to have to go back there, whereas my schedule makes it easier for me. I think one of the best things we can do as husbands is to make sure our wives do not live in denial of comfort and happiness as their reward for trying to be cost-effective. Sometimes you have to drag her out and make her get what she really should have. And as far as I am concerned, the more effort she invests in trying to make sure we do not waste money, the more of that savings should be spent on something that will not be a waste because it will improve her life in some way.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:42 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Default Anyone else HATE spending money on Bras?

Yes, I do. It seems that every time I've found a brand, style of bra that I really like, it's discontinued. I then have to start searching for another comfortable bra. They always cost too much--especially when I've worn it for a few weeks and realize that it's not a good fit and I have to buy another.

On the other hand, I've never had to spend money on power ties.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:55 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Life is too short to spend one minute in uncomfortable underwear of any kind.
Bras are kind of like shoes in that aspect. Yeah, you can spend $10 on crappy Payless shoes, but you can't be surprised when they rub blisters or fall apart when if they get wet in the rain. Cheap bras don't benefit the girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty