Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 07:34 PM

191 posts, read 272,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am 5'4. 28" inseams would be capri pants on me. 31" works great for flats and slingbacks. I need 33" for heels.
With jeans a 30" works just fine for me, but the elusive 29" would be even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 07:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I bought a sewing machine ten years ago when I realized that I was always going to be short, and so was my husband, and one of my kids. I've been hemming all our jeans on that machine for that long. I paid $75 for the machine, so it was cheaper than paying for the pants to be hemmed. It looks best if you use a slightly thicker thread than regular sewing thread. Most jeans have either orange, grey or tan thread for the hems, so I always keep those colors around. For dress slacks, you need to hem by hand with a blind stitch. For khakis, the sewing machine is suitable. I don't have any problem with the drape of the fabric after they're shortened...put the pant on inside out, put on the shoes you'll be wearing with the pants, pin the leg so that the fabric touches the ground at the back of the foot. Arrange the hem at the front so it covers most of the shoe when you stand. Pin both legs, then take the pants off and see if one is shorter than the other. Always adjust the shorter one to match the longer one, if they end up different lengths.

I'm 5'4" but capri pants are usually about an inch above my ankle. I have to cut about 6" off most jeans that I buy. I can't buy the petite lengths of jeans because they have a shorter rise. One of my kids is my height but she can wear jeans without shortening them, her legs are just that much longer than mine. My other kiddo will always have to have her pants hemmed...lately we're buying juniors pants and hemming them even though my daughter is 4'3", because kids jeans don't look right on her anymore, even if the length is better.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:41 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
I would be more upset with my typing instructor than Levi's.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am 5'4. 28" inseams would be capri pants on me. 31" works great for flats and slingbacks. I need 33" for heels.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm 4'10 and 30 inch inseam is fine; it just covers the tops of my shoes, which I like.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:19 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I'm 4'10 and 30 inch inseam is fine; it just covers the tops of my shoes, which I like.
Well, I haven't purchased jeans with the waist/inseam method in a long time- but my height hasn't changed- and I've always worn 30" inseam and I'm 5'5". What's that mean- my legs are too short?

Old 08-17-2015, 08:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Well, I haven't purchased jeans with the waist/inseam method in a long time- but my height hasn't changed- and I've always worn 30" inseam and I'm 5'5". What's that mean- my legs are too short?
I have an über short torso, all leg here.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:52 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
At least you can hem them... us 36+" inseam people have less options than you do, OP.
That's what I was thinking! I've yet to find woman's dress pants that are long enough.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:37 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Miss ME jeans and other high end brands have long inseams. But they are expensive too. Like 150 bucks per jeans.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:55 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watts87 View Post
As a fellow shorty I feel your pain. In my case, I just need to stop being so cheap and either hit up a tailor or learn how to hem. Such is the life of a hobbit.
My wife and I understand your plight. I'm 5'2", and she is 5'0". Even petite jeans are often too long, and the atrocious boot cut jean has been the main style manufactured, which seems to make the jeans longer, plus we dislike the cut since we don't wear boots. We have a seamstress who hems our jeans for a song. She was the lady who altered my wedding dress, and interestingly, she's just as short as we are. She does three pairs for $10, she reduces the length and also tapers that boot cut to the regular slim fit bottom, and since it's custom, they fit us perfectly down to the height of the shoe we're planning on wearing with them

Old 08-18-2015, 09:06 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
The incompetence of Wrangler, Rider, Levi etc is beyond comprehension as they all have missed millions of dollars of retail Ching Ching simply by not recognizing ,not caring for we 5' 7" and shorter folks ? Even with statistics showing an overwhelming sale off of 29"!!!!???. ( rarely restocked because THEY DON'T GET IT I would fire all district managers in Penney's , Walmart others just for not micro- managing cotton pick in SLACKS!!!!! This is simply dummies for Jeans you save 2-3 inches of fabric X 2 legs!!!! It saves hundreds of thousands just in product time weighted!!! You advertise your new feature thereby welcoming millions unable to hem ,unable to pay for hemming! Unable to HEM!! We HAVE to cut the extra crap you put on your jeans . My last bill was $20 for three Jeans !!! ( and they still bunched over my shoes lol. Hey big shots get a grip !!! Increase revenues by 5%' immediately, Hey Walmart ( smarty pants not) actually USE you supposedly neat re inventory system ( which sucks) and restock your 29" inseamed stuff ( which you neglect like the plague)? End of rant.
You know how long I had to wait for more places to start carrying long jeans? Pants that are just too short aren't a good look.

You know how hard it is to find shirts that are longer but that fit well?

I don't like spending money on clothing so even going to the GAP factory outlet, I can't get the size I need because the lowest size they carry is 6L. So if I wanted jeans from the factory outlet, I'm OOL, and would have to spend more at their regular store---which I won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty