Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:27 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,748,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
This all started on 4chan and the /r/4chan subreddit, reddit recently took down subreddits such as /r/fatpeoplehate among others.
The woman on the left is larger than she needs to be for good health.

The woman on the right is unnatural. Women don't naturally have breasts that large with stomachs and hips that flat.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:29 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,420,555 times
STOP attacking my rights to have type II diabetes and contribute a heavier burden to the already overburdened health care system!!! NOM NOM Donuts burritos NOM NOM.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:16 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,696,750 times
It would be nice if people would make a difference in this thread and stopped attacking both, fat or skinny.. World does not change if people take every excuse to continue their bad behaviour. Human is inside brains, it is what makes a difference. How less or much is around it is not relevant.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:35 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
"Perfect" is relative. "Disgusting" is relative. My point? Preferences vary from person to person. I prefer the girls on the left to their edited photos on the right.
^^^^ This dude here, always comes up with posts that makes a lot of sense.

I can see both sides, of both sides of the issue. On the manipulation side, there will be those who do this with good intention to encourage overweight people to dedicate themselves to losing weight, thinking it will inspire them. I am okay with this because their intentions (however kinda goofy) are good. Then, there are internet idiots who do it solely with the intention of poking fun at people. This is wrong.

Also I can see how some overweight people can see this as a sort of "fat shaming" by viewing it as someone saying "Here, I fixed that pic for you to make you look better". As if they are implying that the overweight person is someone inferior or "needs help". Then there are those who may see it and think "Wow, I am on a journey and that is an indication of what I could look like if I stay the course". So I see it both ways.

I have ZERO self esteem/body issues myself, and I had a friend who photoshopped pics of me on to different bodies (The Rock, Alex Rodriguez, Cristiano Ronaldo, Casey Viator, Napoleon Dynamite, Jimmie JJ Walker, Liberace, Louie Anderson etc.) and posted all of them on Facebook and I thought they were all hilarious. Now, if I had "body issues" I would probably be upset, so I can see how many folks could possibly think this whole thing with the photos is being "fat shaming".

Old 08-27-2015, 10:51 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,205,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I am overweight (although not female). My wife is also overweight. IMO, she is the sexiest woman in the world.
If you don't like it (or us), just shut up and go away.
Remember, to many people (more than you think), "Thin may be in, but FAT is where it's AT!"
Skinny, "fit" people, IMO, look sick!
fat people look sick too. and for some reason, fat people are right up there with the musclebound gymrat Neanderthals on the arrogance totem poll. your post is the embodiment of my theory.

have fun with the gluttony and making healthcare more expensive for the rest of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
STOP attacking my rights to have type II diabetes and contribute a heavier burden to the already overburdened health care system!!! NOM NOM Donuts burritos NOM NOM.
lol good one.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:05 AM

607 posts, read 601,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
I think "Harpoon" since it DOES conjure up images of whales is a perfect name for that website. I mean come on, that woman on the left is whalish looking. How do women let themselves get that huge? I just don't get it. This whole thing of digital harpooning is just another example of supply and demand: if there weren't a ton (forgive the pun!) of overweight women who are too lazy to get in shape but want the easy way out, the digital remake, then the site wouldn't be thriving. Which it sounds like it is.
Your lack of compassion, sensitivity, and human decency is astounding. I feel sorry for you.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:32 AM

424 posts, read 430,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
LOL. Exactly. I'd rep ya X10 if I could. The sense of self-entitlement some of those people have. It just blows me away. Where exactly does it come from. Oh, that's right: the Nanny State and the Obama Nation!

Old 08-27-2015, 11:40 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,395,242 times
"Healthy body image" and "healthy body" are two extremely different things. A few pounds overweight? Fine, no long term health effects. But when you start talking about these really fat people who are proud of their bodies, it's another thing totally.

A food addict who is proud to be a food addict is the same as an alcoholic who is proud to be an alcoholic- each is fine in moderation, but when you overdo it, society loses.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:22 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,352,370 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Dunno if there's an actual word/term for it, but it can be described as manipulative vocabulary- you're never ever supposed to have an opinion, but if heaven forbid you do, you're certainly not allowed to express it or you're 'shaming' someone or 'judging' them...

As the way it's related to the weight issue: when I was a child, the young woman in this picture was very popular. Time went on, and the ideal of beauty went from "Thin is In" to "Thinner Is In-ner." However, it was not considered negative for everyone from parents to doctors to be 'up in arms' over the trend- not only 'skinnies' themselves but the impact the trend had on impressionable young people: young women, teens, and even elementary-school children began a huge rise in eating disorders. Yet, when we're faced with the new trend of "Fat is Where It's At" these days, we're not supposed to comment.
And it's not about overweight people wanting compassion or acceptance, those who put themselves out there are holding this up as 'the new ideal.' They're virtually demanding everyone say they are 'beautiful' and 'healthy.'
Think of what this means to kids- would you want your teen or preteen putting a poster on her bedroom wall of a morbidly-obese woman with the belief that this is what she must strive for because being extremely overweight is 'the new normal'? If I had a very young daughter, I'd be very concerned about this.
Attached Thumbnails
Fat shaming has gone too far-twiggy.jpg  

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-05-2015 at 12:00 AM..

Old 08-27-2015, 01:42 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,879,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
I have no tolerance for fat-phobes.
LOL, now I've seen/heard everything!! Fat-phobes, hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Also, I won't gain a massive amount of weight because I'm active and not a lazy slob searching for excuses on why I can't maintain a healthy body
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.