Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 02:47 PM

148 posts, read 136,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
100% accurate. My personal BMR is around 1400 - meaning I need to eat that many calories just to fuel my body, because of my active job/lifestyle. The person who said that women should only/need to eat around 1200 calories needs to educate themselves and quit spewing eating-disorder-fueling BS.

You'd think so, from how overly concerned these people are about overweight folks!
BMR is merely the caloric requirement for your body to survive AT REST (sleeping, doing nothing). that is not maintenance.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:50 PM

607 posts, read 601,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabartek View Post
BMR is merely the caloric requirement for your body to survive AT REST (sleeping, doing nothing). that is not maintenance.
I know, I didn't say it was maintenance. I think my maintenance is probably around 2000, according to the various health calculators I've used online...

Old 08-28-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm 5'4" and if I eat anything more than 1400, I gain weight. I have to eat 1200 or less to lose weight. I've pretty much figured out that I'll have to count my calories for the rest of my life to keep my weight under control.

It's not impossible to get everything you need while eating 1200 calories a day as long as that 1200 calories doesn't include any junk food.
What is your weight and how active are you. But most people, maintenance is above 1500. You might want to have your thyroid checked.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:08 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
I know, I didn't say it was maintenance. I think my maintenance is probably around 2000, according to the various health calculators I've used online...
I haven't read all your statements but did you have a medical condition in 2002 when you were overweight?

Did this condition then go away because you seem to be slim now on your more current pics?

Old 08-28-2015, 03:10 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
Your social media has allowed this type of thing to take place and is just another form of bullying. Mean, hateful people can hide behind there electronics and wreak havoc in ones life on any level. Parents have even done their dirty work due to some accusation their child made of another child. Theres a sickness taking place that starts with boredom and accelerates with no empathy towards others. Well what goes around eventually comes around.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:44 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
2000 is not high for a moderately active female who is 5'4. At 5 ft tall, my maintenance calories is at 1800
It's highly individual, based on your training and your fitness goals. I'm 4'10, doing a lot more weight training than cardio, so 1400-1500 is the sweet spot to increase muscle and not body fat. If I switched it around and did a lot more cardio and less weight training, my caloric needs would be higher.
Quote:
Anorexics have irrational fear for food because they see food, esp carbs, fat and protein...if they will do as much as not eating...limiting their max calories to 300-500 cals which is basically nothing. That's even less than half of the Basal Metabolic Rate
Sorry, but you are grossly oversimplifying it, and completely missing the mark. It is not a fear of food, and even calling it a fear of gaining weight isn't quite accurate either.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 08-28-2015 at 04:10 PM..

Old 08-28-2015, 04:04 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
One example: Forty years ago there were fewer antipsychotic drugs that allowed people with severe mental illnesses to live normal lives. These newer antipsychotics have fewer debilitating side effects, but they can cause weight gain, and can cause development of Type II diabetes. Also, awareness, treatment and diagnoses of these illnesses have improved, and now more people are taking these drugs.
wtf? again, people are talking about a small sub-set of the population. what is it with you people? how many people are psychotic? are you suggesting that 2/3 of americans are fat because they're all taking drugs for mental illness in the attempts to live normal lives? this does not compute, what about the normal weight people that have mental problems? what the hell does this have to do with the majority of americans being overweight? your argument is weak. what about the rest of the overweight people? we gonna pass the buck again and say it is all them commercials about food and that they are victims of predatory advertising? why don't we just negate the fact that these overweight people have no self-discipline because that has nothing to do with being a donut-eating, coke swilling couch potato? its society's fault, or the food corporations. where does it end?

you see, this is the problem. everybody wants to use the mentally and physical ill as scapegoats as a politically correct ploy to avoid the real problem, laziness, complacency, and the resistance to change

Quote:
I believe someone upthread posted a link to drugs that cause weight gain. You might want to read it and educate yourself on the topic before embarrassing yourself further.
umm, no. it is not relevant to the thread, and id say you've embarassed yourself more than enough for the both of us

Quote:
Wow. So many contradictions in one sentence.
well, alot of fat people are douches. alot of skinny people are too. the majority of people are, but the overweight ones are obvious, and it can be understandable. when i was overweight, i was a miserable person too, but instead of making bs excuses i did something about it. what are you doing about it?

Old 08-28-2015, 04:24 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Out of curiosity, how does everyone here define fat acceptance? What about fat shaming? These things likely mean something different from person to person (ie: someone earlier on this thread mentioned pejoratively that mentioning the obesity endemic is fat shaming) and I'd be interested to see where people are actually coming from.

For me, fat acceptance is not a PC effort. If you know me, you know I have zero use for the tyranny of political correctness. But I also don't consider common decency to be politically correct. So let's take an overweight person who is indeed overweight due to a series of lifestyle decisions. Does that mean that person is no longer deserving of the same common decency we'd otherwise extend to anyone else? I recognize that among fat activists, this definition is not satisfactory. I'm not an activist, though. I'm just a guy who, through his attraction to overweight women, has sort of taken on this subject as near and dear to his heart. But at the same time, I don't shirk on personal responsibility or embrace excuses. I don't think anyone should have to feel "attracted" to an overweight person and I don't think it's shallow to not be attracted to one. At the same time, I don't think there's anything wrong with me because I like overweight women, as many have suggested.

Fat shaming to me is anything that uses one's size as a catalyst for derision. "No fat chicks" bumper stickers for example. It is generally stigmatized to make fun of people due to physical characteristics, be it height, skin color, etc. But weight is still fair game. It's also "good intended" suggestion or tactical insulting designed to "motivate" an overweight person to make changes. Fat shaming comes in a lot of shapes and sizes. It can be in the form of former overweight people who approach it from a "I did it, what's your excuse you lazy slob" and I suspect there is some lingering mental retribution with these types. It's also passive aggressive: the "well-intended" friend or relative who lacks the guts to directly speak his or her mind. In essence, it is an outlet for people who are unhappy and I believe a symptom of low mental capacity.

What say you?

Old 08-28-2015, 04:46 PM

If we are to have a HONEST evaluation as to WHY 2/3 or the US are obese/overweight, most of it would point to modern US lifestyle. Obesity started going up post war, and went up eveb more rapidly during the 80s... this is inspite of the "Twiggy/Kate Moss" trend.

Admiting that most obesity cases are lifestyle-induced. From there, people, society and government can address the issue by investing in more efficient transportation to encourage people to walk to work/school and subsidize fruits and vegetables instead of just corn and wheat alongside taxing empty calorie junk food.

America did not suddenly have "mental illness" or "genetic disorder"

Old 08-28-2015, 05:28 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
There are too many excuses for being fat and not enough fat shaming IMHO. I can imagine if no one made any comments or remarks about obesity how much worse off it would really be.

In the not too distant future America will look like the overweight people in Wall-E. https://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/y...&hsimp=yhs-001
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty