Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 06:56 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times

Advertisements

I absolutely REFUSE to wear logo emblazoned clothing. Sorry -- if they want me to wear it, they have to pay me to wear it.

That being said, I like to be well put together, but I don't dress up. My lifestyle and time of life doesn't require it. I used to love wearing blazers and jackets, but since menopause -- forget it! WAY too hot. I need to be comfortable. That means knit tops and my favorite Lands End sport knit jeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 10:44 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
I've always noticed that thin people can get away with wearing cheaper clothes. Stuff at Wal-Mart is cut to use the least amount of material necessary. There is no tailoring to minimize problem areas nor accentuate the positive. It's very hard for even a slightly heavy person to look good under those conditions.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:09 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Not sure if there is a "poor" shaming movement... but "staying" fashionable/beautiful does take some amount of money.

Do people that "care" about looks, also care about how much money that the look says about them? In a non gold digger way?

I mean, does someone look as "good" in a Walmart outfit, as someone who got a tailored outfit? Same person so body type isn't in question.

Would you even recognize expensive "brands"? I don't really know my brands, sure as heck can't tell one from another. But I do get my altered to fit, or I do it myself if it is an easy thing on sewing machine, like leg length/shelves.

Mostly, I have no idea why "holed" pants and those white marked jeans are "in", that's when you throw them out... past shelf life in my book. Unless I was going to mend them, why would I wear clothes with holes in them?

edit: I don't mean if they are actually poor, I just mean "poor" as in their clothing. Since you get guys like facebook guy in a dumb hoody >.> not poor, but sure as hell not fashionable. I'll also say "groomed" as well. Good grooming seems to make someone look more "expensive"
Looking fashionable/nice has nothing to do with rich/poor. Aside from absolute destitute poverty, numerous poor people throughout the world dress very nice daily, meaning not for special occasions, but every time they walk out the door and even if they are not going anywhere.

Also, do not confuse "fashion" with "fads".

And of course there are those people who can just put anything together and make it look nice. I am talking about a plain white t-shirt and jeans, and they look like a million bucks, while others can fork over $600 for a suit and still look like they are wearing a potato sack. It is the whole "a player makes the clothes, the clothes do not make the player".

Old 09-13-2015, 01:56 AM

1 posts, read 712 times
Did you know that some people, even if they wore expensive brands, they will still look "poor"? I have a friend of mine on whom clothes, no matter the brand, they always look good on her.

But I for one, I think it is easy to tell a fashionable brand (read expensive) from a cheap brand. The quality always shows.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:55 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
This further muddied by the fact that some "expensive" brands are cheaply made but are only expensive due to the particular logos they use.

Most quality clothes are not cheap because they use more fabric, are better constructed, etc. those clothes will appear "expensive" even if you don't recognize the brand. But you can buy t shirts with logos all over them that maybe very costly but still look cheap (thin material, badly cut).

It is more complicated than how much you actually spend on the item.

As for poor, I am not sure what poor looks like in terms of clothing. I do know that poor tends to be more obvious when it comes to hygiene and health. For example dental health can be more correlated to income than clothing.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:48 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This further muddied by the fact that some "expensive" brands are cheaply made but are only expensive due to the particular logos they use.

Most quality clothes are not cheap because they use more fabric, are better constructed, etc. those clothes will appear "expensive" even if you don't recognize the brand. But you can buy t shirts with logos all over them that maybe very costly but still look cheap (thin material, badly cut).

As for poor, I am not sure what poor looks like in terms of clothing. I do know that poor tends to be more obvious when it comes to hygiene and health. For example dental health can be more correlated to income than clothing.
Only in America. There are numerous well off Europeans with ghastly teeth. Just isn't a cultural priority.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:55 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

That is so very true. I was at Macy's a few years back looking for knit tops, and the clerk heard me mumbling to myself. She asked if she could help me and exasperated me went on a small but funny rant about clothing quality. Jones of New York used to be a good brand, and they had the flimsiest knits -- they wrinkled badly when scrunched (cotton shouldn't -- should spring back, more or less) and were three times the price of the Macy's Charter Club brand, made from a heavier weight 100% supima cotton knit. I did tell her the neckline should have been understitched, but they did tape the shoulder seams (adds stretch).

I bought three of those Supimas for the price of one shoddily made Jones. Four years later, I still have and wear frequently those shirts. They wash beautifully.

But I have a leg up on people -- my mother sewed, sewed well, and I learned from her. I can look at something and assess the quality. Since sergers have come into widespread use, there is little or no wiggle room in anything -- I miss seam allowances. I can tell by the hand and content of the fabric how it will wear. And I can say that most brands, unless you are buying couture or bespoke, which means serious money -- the middling lines are not well made, and people are just fine with that, because they would rather buy trendy items and toss after a season.

That's what I don't understand. Buying badly made feels like I'm throwing money away. Thank heavens for Land's End. Stuff wears like iron for me and at least now they are moving towards patterns in their knits. I do get tired of plain colors.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:01 PM

260 posts, read 428,137 times
Quote:
Not sure if there is a "poor" shaming movement... but "staying" fashionable/beautiful does take some amount of money.

Do people that "care" about looks, also care about how much money that the look says about them? In a non gold digger way?

I mean, does someone look as "good" in a Walmart outfit, as someone who got a tailored outfit? Same person so body type isn't in question.

Would you even recognize expensive "brands"? I don't really know my brands, sure as heck can't tell one from another. But I do get my altered to fit, or I do it myself if it is an easy thing on sewing machine, like leg length/shelves.

Mostly, I have no idea why "holed" pants and those white marked jeans are "in", that's when you throw them out... past shelf life in my book. Unless I was going to mend them, why would I wear clothes with holes in them?

edit: I don't mean if they are actually poor, I just mean "poor" as in their clothing. Since you get guys like facebook guy in a dumb hoody >.> not poor, but sure as hell not fashionable. I'll also say "groomed" as well. Good grooming seems to make someone look more "expensive"
Some people do care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohx9_EfaaR4

Old 09-13-2015, 10:05 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
On the contrary.

I know lots of rich and upper middle class people.

I always admire the ones who don't go full peacock or GQ way more. They are comfortable with who they are and don't feel they have to put on a show. They seem more down to earth...and usually are.

It's not 100% either way, but the pattern tends to hold.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:40 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:

I get the most compliments in my cheapest clothes. Like $20/boots and $20 jeans and $10 Tshirt. My haircuts are $20.

Doesn't mean I am/look poor.

Staying beautiful is not expensive. You can look classy in cheap clothes. I have had Jay Lenno honk at me, I don't think he would honk to a woman who looks POOR.

Some people can wear $100000 clothes and still look poor. If you have visible missing teeth, a bad hair cut, droopy eyes, bad perm, grown out hair color = that more likely makes you look poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty