Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 01:22 PM

21,669 posts, read 12,735,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
And what's with the metal and rocks on fingers, around your neck or stuck in your ears thing?
Again, it was historically an easy way to carry your wealth with you. Still waiting for a similarly plausible explanation for the fifty yards of dry goods hanging around the neck like the proverbial albatross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 01:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,957,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
They don't look the same at all. And they don't serve the same function, either. An infinity scarf is no where near the warmth of a full "regular" scarf, and it just looks very puffy up around the neck. A full scarf warms me all the way down my front, and I can even wear it inside my coat for extra warmth. I can also wear it like a blanket when I am really cold (I have a cold office in the winter). Infinity scarves are nothing like that - just a big circle of cloth (ergo the name), and they look silly. They look like a giant bird's nest around your neck. No thank you. A regular scarf is much more attractive. Obviously my opinion, but clearly they do NOT look and function the same.
My infinity scarfs keep me warm. Over at my "regular" scarves the same way, wrapped around my neck. So to me, yes they do serve the same purpose.

I don't have any scarves that can be used as a blanket. Infinity scarves are puffy, yet yours have enough fabric to be used as a blanket?! That sounds bulky to me. I get hot easily, so I couldn't have that much fabric. I just need to be able to keep my neck and face warm in the cold wind.

Good thing we have so many great scarf options so people are able to buy the ones that work for them.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:57 PM

I don't need ANY scarf options, but maybe that's just me!

Old 09-23-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Again, it was historically an easy way to carry your wealth with you. Still waiting for a similarly plausible explanation for the fifty yards of dry goods hanging around the neck like the proverbial albatross.
Historically, maybe... But why still wear jewelry? Why wear pieces that have no value? What's the point of costume jewelry?

Scarves serve the purpose of keeping the wearer warm. Or as a fashion accessory, much like jewelry.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I don't need ANY scarf options, but maybe that's just me!
And others do. Just becaue they are of no use to you, doesn't mean they're not useful to others.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:06 PM

But what do you need them for? I'm genuinely trying to understand this phenomenon.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:19 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,532,218 times
Quote:
"Who cares" about anything on city data, for that matter? Bet you own and wear one.
with pride

Old 09-23-2015, 02:31 PM

50,135 posts, read 46,765,840 times
Quote:
It's not a functional "scarf" that actually does anything (like keep you warm), or even a lightweight one that livens up an dreary outfit. I'm talking about the big, heavy LOOPS of fabric that hang around the neck, usually to the bust line (thus not keeping the neck warm) and often piled on top of several other layers of patterns, so it's not to break up monotony. It's like a fabric necklace, only as big as a blanket.

Maybe it's to hide the bust? Or rest a broken arm???

Just seems ridiculous to me yet, like sheep, everyone jumps on the fashion bandwagon.
Well, just look at the people wearing skinny jeans with them pulled down to their knees so their underwear hangs out and they walk around with one hand holding them up.

Explain that one, anything else "almost" makes sense.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:33 PM

The underwear hanging out is a close second, but still: we all (normally) wear pants and underwear, albeit not all like that, thankfully.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:48 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,340,508 times
Why wear them? Obvious---when you drool you can wipe your snot on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty