U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:05 PM

951 posts, read 548,017 times

Advertisements

Over the years I have been making an effort to dress sharper. One thing I've learned is that I really look good in grey.

I have a similar complexion to ryan gosling (blond hair, fair skin, light eyes.) If you do a quick google search on him you'll notice that he almost never wears blue jeans. They're usually black or grey. Is there a reason for that?

Either way I think I'm going to try some out this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 09:57 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,711,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
What are your thoughts on grey/black jeans?
Not a fan of gray... love black. I have been wearing black for decades.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:32 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,602,083 times
Speaking as a guy, I think you'll find that both gray and black jeans are nice options to have, but are unlikely to usurp dark wash blue denim in terms of sheer versatility.

Both- but especially gray- are really nice for wearing with blue jean jackets to break up that DOUBLE DENIM look you get from blue jeans and a blue jean jacket. (of course, it's still double denim, but visually, it's a whole different look) Similarly, gray jeans are super for wearing with a navy sweater or sweatshirt as you don't get that dark blue overload one can get from wearing them with darker blue jeans.

Black jeans, for guys anyhow, aren't very versatile, but it's nice to have a pair. I find them best for really casual outfits.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:13 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,716,705 times
I don't buy black jeans because after a few washes, they start fading and don't really look good. For some reason, blue looks better with age. Black doesn't, IMO.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:20 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,602,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I don't buy black jeans because after a few washes, they start fading and don't really look good. For some reason, blue looks better with age. Black doesn't, IMO.
Hand washing only, and sparingly, inside out, with something like Woolite Dark- and line drying- will help keep the color. Not forever, but a lot longer.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:56 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,306 posts, read 2,261,053 times
My boyfriend is of blonde hair and green eyes. And he has Ryan Gosling complexion (even though he is Italian).
Yes black and grey look good on him than blue (at least in my eyes).
I can promise you that.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:38 PM

10,077 posts, read 19,450,647 times
Choices are good, although just because you have a pair of gray or black jeans doesn't mean you can't also wear the blue ones when you want to. There's so little difference satorically speaking between blue, black and gray jeans that nobody will probably notice you've made a change, though.

There's other colors, too, should you feel really inspired. Red? Striped? Even plaids. Folks will remember you if you're the guy in the deep purple or maroon jeans. If you can't find them for sale, you can dye a pair of your own jeans. Jeanie Denim Dye One step towards making your own "bespoke" clothing.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:05 PM

4,568 posts, read 3,960,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Not a fan of gray... love black. I have been wearing black for decades.
This for me. I have very fair skin, blonde hair, with green eyes. I tend to prefer dark colors, for the most part. So I love black stuff. Black hats, shirts, pants. I do wear blue jeans, but very dark ones. lol

Old 09-26-2015, 12:33 PM

951 posts, read 548,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
My boyfriend is of blonde hair and green eyes. And he has Ryan Gosling complexion (even though he is Italian).
Yes black and grey look good on him than blue (at least in my eyes).
I can promise you that.
Yeah, I think it has to do mostly with complexion. Grey and black will not look good on everybody but my complexion seems perfect to try it out.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:31 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,539,928 times
I love black jeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or