Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 05:05 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times

Advertisements

Personally, I do mind paying a lot. I can't afford to and even if I could I would prefer to put my money somewhere else besides my face.

That said, I do have a routine and it changed drastically after I moved from Pennsylvania to Arizona, where I instantly started collecting wrinkles I never saw before. I have oily skin that is still inclined, even at my advanced age, to break out (especially along my chin line) if I so much as look at products that contain oil. A dermatologist told me a long time ago always to look for products marked "oil free" and I try to stick to that. In addition to oily skin, I also have sensitive skin, so I have to keep my use of harsh, drying products to a minimum.

Here's my daily routine, from arising in the morning:

-I wash with Clean & Clear Morning Burst Hydrating Facial Cleanser Oil-Free, $5 for 8 oz. at Target, lasts about 6 weeks.

-All around my eyes and the small lines around my mouth I put Perlier HydroZone Eye Contour Serum, applied from a tube with a roller ball. I buy it from HSN it's $18 and tube lasts me at least 3 months.

-Finally, I apply Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with Sunscreen SPF 35 to my face and neck. $8 at Target for 2.5 fl. oz. Kind of expensive, but the SPF is essential all year where I live.

-Before bed I wash with Apha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash, which contains alpha hydroxy acids and is intended to clarify oily skin and reduce break-outs. I leave it on for a few minutes before I rinse it off. It's soap-free, oil-free, and pH balanced. Surprisingly hard to find in stores. I get mine from Drugstore.com; it's about $7 for 6 fl. oz.

-After rinsing, I reapply the Perlier Eye Serum. Then I apply Belitae Revitalize 20% Vitamin C Serum with Hyaluronic Acid to my entire face and neck. One dropper-full does the job. I researched this product carefully. MANY companies are selling Vitamin C/Hyaluronic Acid serums and they are being touted heavily by dermatologists. You can pay hundreds of dollars for such a product, but I can't see that it matters to pay top dollar. They all seem to contain the same ingredients in the same proportions. I chose Belitae because of the price. Currently $13 for 1 fl. oz. at Amazon. It comes in a glass bottle with a glass eyedropper inside. I've only been using this for a short time, but I notice a real difference. My complexion looks brighter, my skin is smoother, and my pores (especially on my nose) appear tighter. An ounce lasts me about 10 weeks, so this is a great value in that similar products cost ten times as much.

-After the serum dries, I finish with Simple Ultra-light Get Moisturizer. I think this "simple" thing is pricey at $10 for 1.5 oz. at Amazon (cheaper than Target usually sells it). If I could find a less expensive gel moisturizer, I'd use it. Serious Skin Care used to make one, but it's been off the market for several years now. Garnier makes one for about the same price, but it's in a jar you have to put your fingers in, which I don't like. Olay's is even more expensive.

Is this a lot of work? Kinda. But if I wasn't doing it I truly believe the dry air and bright sun where I've spent the last ten years would have me looking like some of the local natives who resemble Georgia O'Keeffe. I spent my entire youth fighting cystic acne, so I'm thrilled to have nice looking skin now. People are always telling me I don't look my age. My own doctor thought I was joking when I told her I was changing my insurance because I'd be on Medicare the next time I saw her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 07:29 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Reading through these responses I'm surprised at so few mentions of sunscreen. My "day" moisturizer is SPF 30 and I consider that an absolute minimum. I have very fair skin and have already had a few scares with basal cell carcinoma. If I'm actually going to do an activity outside (hiking, tennis, pool, etc.) rather than just being out to run errands I'll use another sunscreen of at least SPF50 and reapply as needed for as long as I'm in the sun.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:24 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,727 times
I have been told I have good and pretty skin. I do nothing more than bathe daily, and use Noxzema when a blemish pops up. Usually kills it fast.

Though I have a spot of psoriasis on my ankle, from sitting on it, that I use cream for. Otherwise, that's it.

I use sunscreen, but only if I will be outside for an extended period, and usually i'm not. lol

Old 09-27-2015, 09:06 AM

466 posts, read 581,232 times
Daily Routine Product: Monsia Skincare
AM
Apply daily facial cleanser gently rub into face and neck and very gently wipe off with a tissue.
Apply daily protection toner lotion to cotton wool and gently wipe face and neck
Apply Vit E oil to neck and around eyes and then apply intense moisturizing day cream gently around eyes and rest of face and neck (this has SPF15). This moisturizer is not greasy.

PM
Apply daily facial cleanser gently rub into face and neck and very gently wipe off with a tissue.
Apply daily protection toner lotion to cotton wool and gently wipe face and neck
Apply Vit E oil around eyes and neck then apply intense night repair cream liberally on face and neck. This cream is not greasy.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:40 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Is anyone using Rodan & Fields?

Old 09-27-2015, 12:58 PM

9,719 posts, read 14,257,964 times
75 Years old, here. First of all, I'm very fair skinned, and have always run from the sun. Still, I've had 2 skin cancer operations on my face. My skin has always been dry, especially around the eyebrow aeas. I cleanse my face at night with Ponds Cleansing Cream, splash on some warm water, then apply organic coconut butter, lightly, all over my face. I exfoliate my face about once/week. I use vaseline to take off my eye makeup, and I have a tiny brush I use to apply a little vaseline to my eye lashes. It's worked to help thicken my lashes. I'm happy with my "old" face and I'm frequently asked why I have no wrinkles. During my lifetime, I think I've tried everything in the book. I always go back to my routine that has proven to work for me, and thankfully, I have no scars from my 2 skin cancer operations.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:12 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,924,279 times
My skin used to be real oily but now it is getting better. I really like to use something with alpha and beta hydroxy's because they are supposed to help with getting rid of acne scars, which I can't help but believe is true since I don't have too many of them. Ever since getting back on birth control, my skin has cleared up *a lot*, but besides that,

My morning and evening routine is basically the same. I first wash with Neutrogena Pore Refining cleanser (this has the alpha and beta hydroxy's--and it's quite difficult, I found at least, to find something with this ingredient! St. Ive's had one for a while--which was much cheaper-- and then they discontinued it) and then after use Clean&Clear 10% benzoyl peroxide gel and then oil of olay either the nighttime one or the complete one (for day). I usually only get blemishes along the jawline though I haven't got one of those in a while.

For makeup I only wear a thin layer of foundation. Yet--I found that when I *don't* wear it, I tend to get a blemish the next day (or later that day). I think the foundation helps prevent the skin from coming into contact with all the dirt that's out there. So, I think having the foundation on is also part of my skin-care routine.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:04 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
OP back! Thank you for taking the time to type all these great responses! Yes, I think if you want to stay looking good, it takes a little time & effort & for those who have the good genes & don't have to do much, just think how much longer your skin will look good IF you did use at least a couple of good products!

Anyway, I've avoided the sun as much as I possibly could for pretty much my whole life. If I'm walking outdoors & there's a long path of shade, I'll walk in the shade. And I've never smoked or drank either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
... A BIG SHOUT OUT TO MoringaPLEX: MoringaPLEX It's $30/ 4 oz but sooo worth it!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
-All around my eyes and the small lines around my mouth I put Perlier HydroZone Eye Contour Serum, applied from a tube with a roller ball. I buy it from HSN it's $18 and tube lasts me at least 3 months....
-After rinsing, I reapply the Perlier Eye Serum. Then I apply Belitae Revitalize 20% Vitamin C Serum with Hyaluronic Acid to my entire face and neck. One dropper-full does the job. I researched this product carefully. MANY companies are selling Vitamin C/Hyaluronic Acid serums and they are being touted heavily by dermatologists. You can pay hundreds of dollars for such a product, but I can't see that it matters to pay top dollar. They all seem to contain the same ingredients in the same proportions. I chose Belitae because of the price. Currently $13 for 1 fl. oz. at Amazon. It comes in a glass bottle with a glass eyedropper inside. I've only been using this for a short time, but I notice a real difference. My complexion looks brighter, my skin is smoother, and my pores (especially on my nose) appear tighter. An ounce lasts me about 10 weeks, so this is a great value in that similar products cost ten times as much.
Is this a lot of work? Kinda. But if I wasn't doing it I truly believe the dry air and bright sun where I've spent the last ten years would have me looking like some of the local natives who resemble Georgia O'Keeffe. I spent my entire youth fighting cystic acne, so I'm thrilled to have nice looking skin now. People are always telling me I don't look my age. My own doctor thought I was joking when I told her I was changing my insurance because I'd be on Medicare the next time I saw her.
These seem like great products guys! And the Hair Moringa looks good when I went to the site. I have extremely long hair, so I'm willing to try it too. Thanks again.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:14 PM

109 posts, read 91,076 times
I often use skin care at night because during the night our skin in sleep is adsorbed all vitamins and minerals from serums. My favorite brand name is Skin Food from Korea.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:20 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
Thanks again. Lately, I"ve been trying products made w/ charcoal since it's a purifyer to the skin & can also help w/ oily skin. I'm using the Garnier cleanser & scrub w/ the charcoal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty