Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:46 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for good arch support, comfort, and durability. I don't care what they cost or where I buy them. Right now, I'm wearing $20 Tenny runners from Costco with a $6 insert. I used to pay whatever it cost to buy Nike or new balance, but the last couple of pairs had soles that collapsed with use, making the bottom of the shoe uneven.

I won't pay $125 for a shoe that is unwearable in 2 months.

When I wore boots, I didn't mind paying several hundred for a pair with quality leather, correct fit, and soles that could be replaced when they wore out. If I can get decades of wear, it is worth the higher price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 12:57 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I want comfort first but quality and style are also important to me.

It's difficult for me to wear shoes made from man-made materials as I don't think they're as healthy for my feet. They used to be less expensive than leather shoes. But recently I was shopping online for a pair of Born clogs to replace my others which no longer fit comfortably (but will still last forever.)

I was truly amazed at the price they were asking for plastic shoes. Not worth it. I'll pay more for leather. And where in the world is all the leather going? They are less available now than when I was young.

I don't care if shoes are cheap as long as they feel comfy and look good. I've had excellent luck with Nevado tennis and the ones I've bought have come in nice earth tones which I prefer to the neon, look-at-my-feet ones.

Dr. Scholl's used to make some relatively stylish and attractive casual shoes. Don't know if they still do.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:58 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
My shoe of choice right now is SAS...San Antonio Shoes. The pair I am wearing costs ~$140 but are comfortable and my knees don't hurt while wearing them. Yep, age is a factor in what type of shoes one buys. Function trumps fashion. I am looking for some good ankle height hiking boots with a real sole now. The cross trainer versions don't cut it.

Vasque and Merrill are in my sights.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:22 PM

714 posts, read 747,112 times
I saw a picture on Twitter a few days ago and this reminded me of it.

They took the new Steph Curry basketball shoe by Under Armour, stripped the UA logo from it, and replaced it three different times. Once they put a Nike swoosh on it, another they put a Champion logo on it, and finally a Jordan logo. The shoe was literally the same shoe, but it got WAY better reviews for its looks when it had the Nike logo. Like, Nike could seriously steal someone else's shoe, slap their checkmark on it, and it'd sell much better.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:50 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
My shoe of choice right now is SAS...San Antonio Shoes. The pair I am wearing costs ~$140 but are comfortable and my knees don't hurt while wearing them. Yep, age is a factor in what type of shoes one buys. Function trumps fashion. I am looking for some good ankle height hiking boots with a real sole now. The cross trainer versions don't cut it.

Vasque and Merrill are in my sights.
SAS used to be really, really ugly (at least the ladies' shoes were, the men's shoes just looked like men's shoes). Recently they've started making nicer designs, and they've always been very comfortable. I've been meaning to go and try some on. My kids really like to go to their factory store because they've got a little ice cream parlor and a bunch of classic cars and carriages.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:46 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
I only wear New Balance for running, they've been the most comfortable for me in terms of running shoes. I get mine on Amazon but I do keep the budget around $75, I go for the older models.

In terms of shoes to just putz around in, to take around the block to walk the dog, I wear the Sketchers slip on shoes. We have a Sketchers outlet here and they're around $45/pair and typically buy one, get one 50% off. Around $70 for 2 pairs or $35 for each pair is definitely a fair price to pay.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:53 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Usually, if you buy cheap shoes, that's what you get. Cheap shoes. But sometimes, you can find a bargain. Remember, most of the "expensive" shoes are put together in SE Asian sweatshops.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I have never been much into expensive brand name shoesand weather they are sneakers or other types of shoes. I am perfectly happy with shoes from Walmart or kmart but I look around and it seems like everyone else is wearing Nike, Reebok, New Balance, Timberland and other brands. I feel like I am the only one who wears cheaper shoes. I have owned a few brand name shoes before but I haven't found them to last me much longer or be that much better. I would not mind buying a brand name pair of shoes but I don't like paying those prices. Do you only wear brand name shoes or do you also buy cheaper ones.
My sneakers are my cheapest shoes and typically brand name (vans or merrells). Most of my other shoes cost substantially more but they last for years if not decades. So yea I guess I only wear brand name shoes.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:18 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Thanks a lot everyone for your input. I think some of you are convincing me to get some brand name shoes. I will look around I have quite a few pairs of shoes and some are still brand new but I will probably get me some nice ones for Christmas.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:53 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
I buy brand name shoes but on sites like 6pm.com and Zappos. Great discounts, free shipping. I just bought a pair of Nine West shoes for $30
How are their return policies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty