Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 02:22 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,121 times

Advertisements

I'm a young male in his twenties who's never had a sense of style. Just recently I've been looking to get more into a sense of style to be honest to attract females as well. However, I don't make tons of money so I'd like these sites to be reasonably priced but still nice. Moreover, I am more of a urban type dresser, but I do dress preppy and athletic as well.

I have very bad color coordination and I do like wearing a lot of darker colors specifically grays and blacks. Also, I never know trends.

Could someone please help me and give me advice thanks!!

I'll add more if I think of something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 02:31 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times
Go here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/

Read all the sidebars; there's some great advice there. Read individual posts with an open mind but also a skeptical ear; there's both good advice and some rubbish there.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:33 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Depending on your budget, there's also a website called Fashion Stork that you can subscribe to that delivers you fashionable menswear every month (these "monthly subscription" delivery sites are becoming pretty big). I think the top end is $75/month, but there are smaller packages as well.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:16 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Fashion Beans is a good men's style website. Also, try searching Instagram for men's style.
10 Of The Best Men’s Fashion Instagram Accounts | FashionBeans

Old 10-01-2015, 03:53 PM

20,762 posts, read 19,968,204 times
So easy. Just wear jeans and a shirt. Blue or black jeans and a simple T-shirt. Or buttoned shirt. Or sweater. It could be a $10 shirt without any motives on it. Simple, one color. Nothing you can do wrong.

Look around you - right now relatively tight jeans are in style.

If you are in shape and have a nice hair cut, you can wear whatever you want and fit in. In doubt google "guy jeans shirt"

https://www.google.com/search?q=guy+...3rtuN0d1rFM%3A

Old 10-09-2015, 11:47 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
Ha. That only works if a guy is good-looking.

Also, while baggy has mercifully gone away, I don't know that tight jeans are standard in urban dress, and I wouldn't want them to be.

Just hire someone, I say. I think the problem with that is finding someone with strong knowledge and a reasonable price.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:11 PM

620 posts, read 638,769 times
Check out Trunk Club. You complete a style survey and have a consultation with a stylist, who then prepares a "trunk" of outfits for you to review online. They ship you the trunk and you try it all on at home. You pay for what you keep and ship the rest back. Shipping is free both ways.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:42 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
Check out Trunk Club. You complete a style survey and have a consultation with a stylist, who then prepares a "trunk" of outfits for you to review online. They ship you the trunk and you try it all on at home. You pay for what you keep and ship the rest back. Shipping is free both ways.
I came in to recommend Trunk Club. I'm in a situation now where I don't need an extensive wardrobe, and have zero need for "nice" or fashionable clothes, beyond a couple pairs of slacks from Express and way more sport jackets than I can use. I don't have personal experience with them, but I hear ads for TC on several of the podcasts I follow, and it sounds like a great idea. I think this would be especially true for guys like the OP who say they have no sense of color coordination.

As for me, well, my wife and I dress for comfort and usually in order to stand the heat of inland SoCal.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:48 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,335 times
OP, if possible, I think you'd be better off getting the advice of someone (competent in attire, of course) that you actually know, such as a friend or a sibling. They can tailor/personalize their advice specifically to you...your looks, build, personality and lifestyle. Clothing is really subjective...just because something is currently trendy doesn't automatically mean that it'll work for you. Tight jeans may look good on one guy and terrible on the next guy. Ideally you should just have a style of your own that you like. It should complement you and the complete package should give off an impression of being well put together without trying too hard.

Sites can help you grasp the basics of colors, materials and coordination, though.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:22 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
A few things: there's a difference between skinny jeans and slim fit jeans. Avoid skinny jeans, but slim fit jeans, as long as they're comfortable to sit in, should be okay on almost any guy. For slacks, get the flat front, not the pleated front.

You should own a full-length mirror and you should look at yourself in it after you get dressed. (everyone should do this)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty